The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the 12mm f2.0 the widest m43 autofocus prime?

My very first two m43 lenses were the 20mm pancake and the 7-14 zoom.

I have now added to my armoury and would have liked a wide angle prime. All that I have been able to see is the 12mm f2.0 (ignoring fish eye) and it seems odd that the widest prime is so close to the top end of the wide angle zoom (12 and 14 are pretty similar).

Have I missed something?

Tony

Knorp

My very first two m43 lenses were the 20mm pancake and the 7-14 zoom.

I have now added to my armoury and would have liked a wide angle prime. All that I have been able to see is the 12mm f2.0 (ignoring fish eye) and it seems odd that the widest prime is so close to the top end of the wide angle zoom (12 and 14 are pretty similar).

Have I missed something?

Tony
You missed nothing, Tony.
So far that M.Zuiko 12mm f2.0 is the widest autofocus prime lens available.

If autofocus is optional then perhaps the KOWA PROMINAR 8.5mm f2.8 is of any interest to you.
Kind regards.

Knorp

Thanks Bart,

Autofocus is least necessary with wide angles.

Have you heard of anyone around here with one?

Tony
Sorry Tony, nobody here is shooting this brand AFAIK.
I've been tempted, but when the 7-14/2.8 was announced my interest cooled down a bit.
Now I'm not so sure anymore regarding ultra wides and decided my 12-40/2.8 is wide enough ... :eek:

For everything related to (m)43 you may find this site interesting: four-thirds.org

Kind regards.

mediumcool

The 8.5mm Kowa tests out very well at Photozone.de. But it is exxy for a non-AF lens with no EXIF capability. Distortion correction is superb (with 17 elements it should be), unlike that of the 12mm f/2; without software correction, the 12’s distortion is a considerable 5.4% barrel!

hot

Haha, KOWA 8.5mm / 2.8 ... € 1486 :banghead:

I love my Samyang 7.5mm / 3.5 .... € 230 !

Okay, okay, Kowa is 6x better :grin:

Kowa 440g / 0.20m near / 71x86 mm
Samyang 197g / 0.09m near / 60x48 mm

Knorp

Haha, KOWA 8.5mm / 2.8 ... € 1489 :banghead:

I love my Samyang 7.5mm / 3.5 .... € 250 !

Okay, okay, Kowa is 6x better :grin:
But isn't that Samyang a Fish-eye ?
And I've seen the Kowa on the Bay (DE) for € 889,-