The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-M5 Mk II focus peaking with Leica lens

VINCET

When I attached a Leica M/R lens via an adapter to the E-M5 mk II body, is there any way to have the auto magnification and focus peaking work? I can manually zoom in and most of the time, the EVF is clear enough to focus but would be nice to automatically zoom in as you start focusing.

The 2nd choice would be, manually zooming in but as you depress the shutter, it revert back to full image like that of the Lumix G1. Is this possible?

Thanks
Vince

scott kirkpatrick

You can assign focus peaking and magnification to an unused button (say, video). When you half press the shutter they should clear.

scott

Annna T

Currently, Fn2 button brings up magnification but when I half press the shutter, it never clear. Wonder what I am missing.
No, you can't. You have to press the button at the beginning and then again to get out of magnification. You didn't miss anything, Olympus missed.

Godfrey

You can assign focus peaking and magnification to an unused button (say, video). When you half press the shutter they should clear.
Currently, Fn2 button brings up magnification but when I half press the shutter, it never clear. Wonder what I am missing.
No, you can't. You have to press the button at the beginning and then again to get out of magnification. You didn't miss anything, Olympus missed.
On the E-M1:

• Sprocket-D custom menu, LV Close Up Mode is used to control the behavior of the focus assist magnification. Set to mode 1, touching the shutter release cancels magnification; set to mode 2, it does not. Mode 2 is the default.*
  • Focus peaking is independent of magnification—there's no such automatic cancellation control, you have to turn it off manually.

* It's unclear from the description whether this works when magnification is enabled manually, or whether when you let go of the shutter release the camera returns to magnification. Experiment...​

I suspect there's similar functionality in the E-M5II custom menu.

G

Godfrey

When I attached a Leica M/R lens via an adapter to the E-M5 mk II body, is there any way to have the auto magnification and focus peaking work? ...
I don't know of any mirrorless camera that supports auto-assist magnification or peaking with adapted lenses unless the adaptation is a smart adapter for dedicated lenses (like the FourThirds to Micro-FourThirds mount adapters). The reason is that the camera has no information that the lens' focus setting is being changed, so it can't trigger a display mode change either.

The best that you can do is to assign focus magnification and peaking as toggles to buttons that are convenient for your use.

G

Annna T

On the E-M1:

• Sprocket-D custom menu, LV Close Up Mode is used to control the behavior of the focus assist magnification. Set to mode 1, touching the shutter release cancels magnification; set to mode 2, it does not. Mode 2 is the default.*
  • Focus peaking is independent of magnification—there's no such automatic cancellation control, you have to turn it off manually.

* It's unclear from the description whether this works when magnification is enabled manually, or whether when you let go of the shutter release the camera returns to magnification. Experiment...​

I suspect there's similar functionality in the E-M5II custom menu.

G
His question concerned adapted manual lenses, not native lenses, hence my answer. I know it doesn't work, neither with the E-m5II, nor with any previous Olympus MFT bodies I have owned (E-P1, E-P3, E-M5). You have to press the Fn button to which you have assigned the magnifier, both to start and to end the magnifying.

With manual non native lenses :
One pressure brings the target on (you can then move it on the scene and change the magnifying factor).
A second pressure and you are in the magnifying mode.
A long pressure and you get out of magnifying mode.
Two short pressures of the magnifying button in rapid sequence brings you directly in magnifying mode, skipping the first step and the last position of the target and magnifying factor will be used.

The position of the magnifying target seems to be independent of that of the regular focus target.

Godfrey

His question concerned adapted manual lenses, not native lenses, hence my answer. I know it doesn't work, neither with the E-m5II, nor with any previous Olympus MFT bodies I have owned (E-P1, E-P3, E-M5). You have to press the Fn button to which you have assigned the magnifier, both to start and to end the magnifying.

With manual non native lenses :
One pressure brings the target on (you can then move it on the scene and change the magnifying factor).
A second pressure and you are in the magnifying mode.
A long pressure and you get out of magnifying mode.
Two short pressures of the magnifying button in rapid sequence brings you directly in magnifying mode, skipping the first step and the last position of the target and magnifying factor will be used.

The position of the magnifying target seems to be independent of that of the regular focus target.
Tested with Nikon 35AF-D, LV Close Up Mode set to mode1 on the E-M1:
  • One press on the assigned Fn button enables the assist magnification framing (set magnification and location with rear thumb dial and arrow keys).
  • Second press enables the magnification
  • Half press on the shutter release returns to 100% magnification for framing and exposure, leaves the magnification framing indicator active.
  • (Another press on the Fn button reenables assist magnification.)
  • Dismiss the magnification assist by a long press on the Fn button or by pressing the OK button.

Yes, the magnification assist framing location and magnification setting is independent of the AF sensitive area setting.

G

VINCET

Hi Godfrey

Thanks for the info. I will try to look for it at home tonight. If I can get that similar functionality from the E-M5 Mk II, I would be happy. This is very similar to many of the mirrorless camera including my old Lumix G1 and if I remember correctly, the Sony A7 is the same way. I thought the Sony A7 was horrible, this Olympus is probably the worst.

Vince

• One press on the assigned Fn button enables the assist magnification framing (set magnification and location with rear thumb dial and arrow keys).
  • Half press on the shutter release returns to 100% magnification for framing and exposure, leaves the magnification framing indicator active.
  • Dismiss the magnification assist by a long press on the Fn button or by pressing the OK button.

Yes, the magnification assist framing location and magnification setting is independent of the AF sensitive area setting.

G

VINCET

Just verified that this is not applicable to the E-M5 Mk II. I can press the Fn button to get magnified framing, using the arrow to move the location, press the Fn again to magnify. Once you press the shutter half way, nothing, in fact, if you actuate the shutter, it stays in magnified view still. It is also in their instruction. I think this is a UI design bug or a very bad UI.

G