The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, what is a good manual normal lens now?

pentacon6

Bear in mind that the flange distance of c-mount is ~17.5mm which is less than the flange distance of micro 4/3 (~20mm.) This means the screw threads for the c-mount adapter are recessed into the lens mount of the G1. This limits the rear diameter of c-mount lenses for compatibility.

The back focal length doesn't seem to be an issue with most c-mount lenses that are of interest (i.e., the distance from the rear element to the sensor, or in this case the limitation is the distance from the rear element to the shutter of the G1.)

1" format is a 25.4mm image circle; 22mm is the m4/3 image circle.

Hope this helps!
To Monza, it seems not ture. I used to get confused of 1" = 1 inch. However, the concept of 1" is refer to 1 unit = 16mm, which is the diagonal size of 16mm format. Since I do some research for Schneider Xenoplan lens and she has a line covering 1.3" large size CCD which the image circle is 22mm. You may go to wiki to have a better idea of it.

From our experience, usually 25mm lens may cover less than 22mm if it is not specific mentioned on the larger coverage. Lens of less than 25mm usually showing dark corner while more than 25mm have a bigger chance of covering the whole sensor. I have a Fujinon 35mm f1.7 and claimed it cover just 2/3" (10mm). But actually it cover the 4/3 sensor without problem.

I am not sure how the manufacturer define the coverage of CCTV lens. It may be because they want to keep the image quality or restrict the usage in certain crop factor. 2/3" is almost half size of 4/3 sensor which means a 35mm on the 2/3" CCTV can produce 140mm view angle equivalent to 35mm format, in the sense of 4X crop factor.

I have several of CCTV lenses and would like to say they can produce fine detail but quite poor of dealing with flare and vignetting due to the coating.
So, use it carefully, except you use it in LOMO style. :toocool:

pentacon6

I see...
I am still trying my luck. Although the 35mm fujinon do cover the sensor but need quite some MOD to make it working on my G1. I want to find some one to reproduce the rear mount for me to fix it on the lens permanently.

pellicle

Hi

Hi Pellicle:

I need an adapter - who is the supplier?

Keith
He goes by the ebay seller id of Hawkpeng2003. He seems to sell only a few things (some 200 or so on his feedback) so his volume seems to be a hobbiest rather than professional, however his work is great!

Being in china he can't see this place (the great firewall of china) so if you contact him, tell him others are keen ... offer to pre order. His adaptors are under $50.

I think that for this kind of thing his stuff is better than RJ Cameras C mounts

RichA

In another thread I mentioned I had high hopes for the CV28/2 Ultron. My hope was that it should work well with the G1 as a reasonably fast normal lens. As it didn't pass the smearing border test I don't know what to do really.

What I am looking for is a lens in the 24-28mm range, at least f/2, manual with good feeling to it, preferably small. In a perfect world there should be one somewhere with nice rendering of the out of focus background stuff.

Any suggestions?
Voigtlander is a challenge. I tried a 58mm f1.4 Nokton, found it soft with too much colour error. Then I bought one cheap and behold, it's very good. I also tried the 35mm f1.2 Nokton and it was very soft at full aperture. Too soft. I picked up a 28mm f2.0 Kiron. It has a Nikon mount so I can use it with my D300 or G1. This was my third sample. The first one I had was terrible, way too much spherical aberration. At f8, it was phenomenally good. The second sample I have (still have) has oil on the shutter blades though it's a good lens. The third one turned out to be very good and it's the first one I can use wide open with confidence.

What I am looking for is a lens in the 24-28mm range, at least f/2, manual with good feeling to it, preferably small. In a perfect world there should be one somewhere with nice rendering of the out of focus background stuff.
Any suggestions?.
Amongst others, a few excellent lenses, but not inexpensive, in order of my personal preference:

25mm/2.0 Kinoptik APO (usually found in Arri or Eclair/Cameflex mount)

25mm/2.0 Cooke Speed Panchro
25mm/1.9 Schneider Xenoplan
26mm/1.1 Kern Macro Switar

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi

He goes by the ebay seller id of Hawkpeng2003. He seems to sell only a few things (some 200 or so on his feedback) so his volume seems to be a hobbiest rather than professional, however his work is great!
Thanks Pellicle - I have a couple of his mounts and have been very happy with them. I will try to contact him.

Keith

Godfrey

... Any suggestions?
The Summilux-D 25/1.4 ASPH, Olympus ZD 25/2.8 and Nikkor 28/2AI, of the 24-28mm lenses I've tried, work the best for me in that order. The Nikkor 24/2.8 and Canon FD 24/2 are also very good performers, based on what I've seen others post from them.

On http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614@N23/discuss/72157621315945829/ there is mention of a Schneider Xenoplan 25mm f1.4 in C-mount that vignettes minimally and seems to produce good results. A few examples are offered.

e_dawg

The Zeiss ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5 (M-mount) performs surprisingly well for such a wide lens. One of the best super-wide M-mount lenses I've tried on m4/3 so far. Has a bit of corner smearing wide-open (as does every adapted wide-angle lens), but seems a bit better than most adapted lenses I've seen and cleans up as you stop down. Naturally, the flare and ghosting performance is excellent. Sharp and contrasty with the exception of mild corner issues I mentioned wide-open. Bokeh is very good. A slow lens at f/4.5, but you get a smaller, better-corrected, and more flare-resistant lens than you would with a faster lens.

Nikon 20/3.5 AiS (Nikon F-mount). Good lens, but some corner softness and field curvature wide-open, which is noticeable if you do landscape shots at infinity. Improves when you stop down. Actually performs better at closer focus distances. Sharp and contrasty wide-open in the central 2/3 of the frame, making it a great portrait lens or for highlighting subjects in the middle of the frame. Bokeh is fantastic. Flare-resistant. Focus ring is not as well damped as some German lenses, if that sort of thing is important to you.

CV Color-Skopar 20/3.5 SLII (Nikon F-mount). Don't have this lens, but was seriously considering it before getting the Nikon. From the samples I saw, corner performance was better than the Nikon 20/3.5, but the bokeh was just too edgy and nervous for my liking, which ruled it out of contention for me.

Zeiss ZF 25/2.8 (Nikon F-mount). Very good lens in all respects on m4/3, but big and heavy compared to other adapted (M-mount, LTM, etc.) lenses. Much closer min focus distance compared to rangefinder lenses, and is quite sharp at mfd too.

CV Ultron 28/1.9 Asph (LTM/L39SM). The copy I had was a bit disappointing. Soft corners until f/4-5.6.

Last edited:

Jonas

Thanks again everybody for your input. I bump this thread as I'm still looking for a good and fast normal. I have checked the "A super fast normal" thread and this one, one some other places without finding anything. Maybe I missed it.

Is there at all any lens in the 20-25mm range faster than 1.4 covering the whole sensor?

/Jonas

monza

To my knowledge, no. The only faster than 1.4 lenses are the various 25/0.95 that don't cover the sensor (although they come very very close.)

monza

You sure it's fast enough for that? :)

There were rumors of a manual focus 25/1.1, I need to check up on the status...

kevinparis

can i make a case for the zuiko OM 24/2

I paid something like 200 euros for mine and I rate it very highly both on my e-p1 and my canon 5d mk2

these are all e-p1 shots

K

Jonas

Has anyone used one of these?

I heard that they are very compact and light weight.
I'm afraid the opposite is true. And the price tag is of the sort "If you have to ask...". The 16mm version won't cover the sensor, the 35mm version is to dream about, but still T1.3 "only". It's just YBHudson trying to be funny.