The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, what is a good manual normal lens now?

pellicle

Hi

for completeness on the 110 issues on this thread; this is the Pentax 110 24mm lens its f2.8 and has no aperture but is insanely small and reasonably sharp (see my recent thread on that)

that's it mounted on the camera

aside from Viveks images above I have some on my blog here.

Last edited:

JBurnett

I realize that you're already on to considering more esoteric alternatives. But I thought I'd add one to the general opinion pool: Canon FD 24mm f/2.0.

Wide open, it suffers a bit from that dreamy look that many fast SLR lenses have. And the edges exhibited quite a lot of CA. So I found myself not wanting to use it more open than f/4. At that point, whatever advantages the lens might have had were overshadowed by my reticence to use a wider aperture.

Jonas

Thank you John,

I have an FDn 24/2. Sometimes I like the wide open flare, sometimes I would like it to have more contrast. It's a nice lens and I don't mind using it wide open, or at f/2.8.
But here I'm asking for faster options. I have been thinking of the FD 24/1.4, either the ASPH version or the FDn L version. But they are big, heavy and expensive. Still looking!

regards,

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Nice price and ease of availability for that gem. Thank goodness it isn't marked Zeiss Super Speed and comes in some weird mount, setting off an unobtainable adapter chase.:ROTFL:

All that remains now is to show some pics using it. :thumbup:

[Q: If the m4/3rds system lenses have built-in corrections for vignetting and distortions, how would you compare vignetting and such with dumb manual lenses with those of the computer chip equipped, "smart" system lenses? ;)]

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

ah... whine, whine...PL to m4/3 adapt'r is onLy $350±...

How do you get a smart Lense to focus?... not an ethnic joke... Very sLowLy...

Photo smart... no need to machine the 25mm 1.3 (running a good chance of mucking it up)... Simply remove the rubber band from the focus ring. Directly above the infinity mark is a screw, place a dab of super glue remover (acetone) on the screw head, wait a few minutes...then gently remove the screw (with the appropriate tool )...

You can now mount it on a RJ or Hawk c-mount adapter and it will focus 4"- infinity :) an' beyond!

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Does that mean we can not see any of your Super Speed lens test shots in the near future, Hudson? :confused::shocked:

V

Vivek

Looks like I will stick to my lowly 'tar and there is little chance to discuss the elusive SUper Speeds..:(

G1, ISO400, Computar-TV 25/1.3, wide open.

M

MelanieC

Thanks for the info on how to modify the 25mm/1.3 without machining. I ordered one of the Computars (with the camera attached to it) for an offer of $20 and am looking forward to giving it a spin. The only adaptor I have right now is the RJ Camera adaptor.

apicius9

Thanks for the precise instructions, Hudson. My Computar is still sitting on the shelf because i thought I need to use the file on it. I'll look into that this weekend.

Stefan

photoSmart42

Photo smart... no need to machine the 25mm 1.3 (running a good chance of mucking it up)... Simply remove the rubber band from the focus ring. Directly above the infinity mark is a screw, place a dab of super glue remover (acetone) on the screw head, wait a few minutes...then gently remove the screw (with the appropriate tool )...
Thanks! I was actually talking about the 12.5 lenses requiring machining - sorry for the confusion - but I'll take your advice on the 25 once I get it next week. Cheers!

M

MelanieC

Computar 25mm/1.3 arrived today (with its security camera lens cap). I followed YB's directions, got rid of the offending screw and can now focus on whatever I want. Thanks YB!

f6cvalkyrie

Today, I received a Nikkor 24/2.0 that I bought on the evil-bay for 222$ + transport.

I hope that this will be a good normal lens.

C U
Rafael