The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

Knorp

Thanks, Bart. :)

So, it would seem the focus bracketing feature would be more useful for a RAW shooter. Stack the images outside the camera using an app of one's choice.
Vivek, as a C1P8 user on OSX I think that app for me would be Helicon Focus.
Are there other players ?

V

Vivek

Bart, Zerene Stacker vs Helicon Focus debate is a long one over the years.

Knorp

Bart, Zerene Stacker vs Helicon Focus debate is a long one over the years.
LOL - I wonder where I've been all those years, anyway thank you and I'll have a look and see if I can get a trial version.

Kind regards.

Knorp

That would be almost. The shallower DOF of the full frame sensor would probably require 20 or more shots per stack. Does the Sony battery last that long? :ROTFL:
If you require the Full Stacked Monty of 999 shots then indeed the battery won't last :)
Perhaps I'm an energy-conscious European, but I can easily do 300 to 350 shots with two batteries with plenty juice left for some more.
But admittedly, a full battery is short-lived especially with frequent chimping and menu browsing.

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

That would be almost. The shallower DOF of the full frame sensor would probably require 20 or more shots per stack. Does the Sony battery last that long? :ROTFL:
Yes. There are many options to prolong the portable setup's life (battery grip, external portable power, etc).

k-hawinkler

If you require the Full Stacked Monty of 999 shots then indeed the battery won't last :)
Perhaps I'm an energy-conscious European, but I can easily do 300 to 350 shots with two batteries with plenty juice left for some more.
But admittedly, a full battery is short-lived especially with frequent chimping and menu browsing.

Kind regards.
Hi Bart, I think one can get quite a few more shots on one battery if one shuts down a number of things, like Remote Control, Wi-Fi, etc. :grin:

k-hawinkler

Yes. There are many options to prolong the portable setup's life (battery grip, external portable power, etc).
Thanks Vivek. external portable power will last for days. I have such a setup. :grin:
One can also plug into the public utilities electrical power net ... :facesmack:

Knorp

Hi Bart, I think one can get quite a few more shots on one battery if one shuts down a number of things, like Remote Control, Wi-Fi, etc. :grin:
Oh yes, I've shutdown all unnecessary options: but hey you could call me 'Chimp' ... :LOL:

Knorp

Thanks Vivek. external portable power will last for days. I have such a setup. :grin:
One can also plug into the public utilities electrical power net ... :facesmack:
Well K-H, no need then to shutdown any of the options at all ... :p

k-hawinkler

Well K-H, no need then to shutdown any of the options at all ... :p
Thanks Bart.

Yup, if one uses the machine gun approach and keeps firing the shutter of the A7r2 at high burst rate then a single regular battery will last close to a thousand shots, even without shutting down any of the options at all. :grin: :facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Bart.

Yup, if one uses the machine gun approach and keeps firing the shutter of the A7r2 at high burst rate then a single regular battery will last close to a thousand shots, even without shutting down any of the options at all. :grin: :facesmack:
The EM1 with additional battery in battery grip added gave me more than 2300 shots in high burst rate - impressive! Even including some work on the rear LCD in between the shots!

Godfrey

I don't really count how many exposures I get from a charge. I just shoot until the battery is exhausted, then swap it for another. I've not yet run out of battery power while doing a shoot, presuming I had one spare in the bag.

Then again, I'm not one prone to making more than a few hundred exposures in any given shoot and I could live without any of the continuous exposure modes... :)

G

mazor

Just a thought ...
What could be the reason for only the three designated lenses (60/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8) supporting this Focus Stacking feature ?
Is it their drive mechanism ? Or their close focus distance ?
F.i. why not the 75/1.8 ?
Or is it a matter of time we'll see more lenses from the current line-up ?

What's your take ?
very interesting. Then one has to wonder why not just support all the lenses. Even if the focus drive is slower, it would still would be able to achieve similar results, just slower.

An instance where the focus stacking could be handy for any AF lens, would be when using Panasonic lenses on the E-M1