The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

zensu

Just like a couple of years ago when Olympus updated the Firmware on the E-P5 to allow 0 second anti-shock to this great camera I snatched one up. Now it looks like I'm about to do the same with the E-M1 because of it's new Firmware. I read down the lists of improvements and every one ticked a feature I would love. I guess Olympus has figured out another way to get my money! :toocool:
Bobby
PS, the rumor mill is now saying the E-M1 Mk II will be released next year with a global shutter which is another leap forward for µ43's! :bugeyes:

f6cvalkyrie

J-18 I would say, and although I am impatient, I can cq have to wait ...

I also wonder whether Adobe Lightroom will support Focus Stacking in a next upgrade ?
Like, before, they did not support panoramic stitching nor HDR, but, now, they do ... :clap:
I know it can be done in Photoshop, or specific programs, but, still, I would find it nice if it could be done in LR ! This might even convince me to upgrade to the creative cloud if necessary !

C U
Rafael

Annna T

Olympus has now issued new versions of the manual containing instructions for the new features added. If you go to this page, you will find links both for the E-M5II and the E-M1 bodies.. Be sure to download the right version ( the older one is still available)

Download Manuals : PEN series - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

Olympus just added a new 12th chapter to the manual. Here the content of that chapter and the improvements we will get on the E-M5II :

Last edited:

Godfrey

Olympus has now issued new versions of the manual containing instructions concerning the new features added. If you go to this page, you will find links both for the E-M5II and the E-M1 bodies.. Be sure to download the right version ( the older one is still available)

Download Manuals : PEN series - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

Olympus just added a new 12th chapter to the manual. Here the content of that chapter and the improvements we will get :

Thanks Annna.

It's great that they're revising the manuals to match the firmware updated.

G

Annna T

Ha !
There are still people in this forum ?

I thought everyone was getting and shooting other cameras now :eek:

Godfrey

Still here, although the focus of my attention has moved to Leica equipment almost 100% now.

I'll likely sell off most of everything else now that the Leica SL has arrived, but the E-M1 and its lenses will be the last to go. It's just a darn good system, and I'll prove that I can get everything I do with the E-M1 out of it before I let it go.

I continue to pull out the E-M1 any time I have product shots to do as the E-M1 and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 are a wonderful pair for that kind of work. Matter of fact, I don't think I've fitted any other lens to the E-M1 for almost a year now... !

G

Annna T

Still here, although the focus of my attention has moved to Leica equipment almost 100% now.

I'll likely sell off most of everything else now that the Leica SL has arrived, but the E-M1 and its lenses will be the last to go. It's just a darn good system, and I'll prove that I can get everything I do with the E-M1 out of it before I let it go.

I continue to pull out the E-M1 any time I have product shots to do as the E-M1 and the Macro-Elmarit-DG 45 are a wonderful pair for that kind of work. Matter of fact, I don't think I've fitted any other lens to the E-M1 for almost a year now... !

G
I ought to say that I'm guilty of that too : since I got an A7r and A7rII. I tend to forget my former loves when I get new tools. However, I still keep a soft spot for the E-M5 : great small system for which I have got some very nice lenses. I don't think that I will sell it. But it will sleep more in my cupboards.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ha !

Still here,

but my interests have shifted significantly towards FF.

FF simply has much more sensor real estate (we all know for what this is great) and is becoming mainstream meanwhile, thus much more decent offers in DSLR (Nikon D810) or also mirror less (Leica SL, Sony A7RII).

Will keep the EM1 with some Pro lenses for the moment but not sure how I will proceed with m43. Might very well go down the SL route for mirror less to be able to use the great new upcoming SL zooms in combination with my M glass on the SL and have the D810 as my wildlife and sports workhorse in combo with a 80-400. Then there is no more need for EM1 and pro glass ....

Definitely no longer impatiently waiting for this Firmware upgrade. We will see ...

Knorp

Some more nitpicking: I read on FB (Olympus OM-D Worldwide Shooters) it's most likely the new firmware will reset your settings to default values.
So better be prepared and write down your specific settings :lecture:

marlof

Ha !

I have zero interest in other cameras. Even when FF cameras have become smaller, FF lenses are too large to my taste. I prefer smaller cameras, reason why I prefer my EM5 (classic) with nice small primes over my second set, the more capable EM1 with Pro zooms, which I only occasionally use when zooms come in handy. And it helps that I'm not a shallow DoF junkie, and can live with the DR of my cameras, so m43 suits my needs fine. If anything, I'd get a EM5mkII, but since I have hardly an issue with the mkI, I'll make that decision when prices have come down.