The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM1 4.0 Firmware Upgrade

k-hawinkler

I updated both my E-M1 to FW 4.0 and my E-M5.2 to FW 2.0 under Yosemite.
When I tried that under the latest beta version of El Capitan the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater 1.2 didn't recognize my cameras.

I also used the occasion to update my lenses.
Following is the welcome surprise when I updated my Nocticron 42.5/1.2.

Update Contents for H-NS043
Improvements
Date/Version Description

2015/08/05
Ver. 1.2
Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update. (in case of the usage of Camera with this function)
* Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.

2014/04/22
Ver. 1.1
Improved the motion picture quality under high sensitivity in use with GH4.

Hmm, that sounds promising, similar to Sony's way of dealing with this kind of situation. :grin:

Knorp

When I tried that under the latest beta version of El Capitan the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater 1.2 didn't recognize my cameras.

Hi there K-H, you probably need this: OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater 1.2.1

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi there K-H, you probably need this: OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater 1.2.1

Kind regards.

Many thanks Bart. Yup, I found that when I fired up Olympus Viewer 3 and it offered the version 1.2.1.
I just tried it out. It works fine under OS X El Capitan. Thanks again. :D :thumbs: :clap:

Annna T

I also used the occasion to update my lenses.
Following is the welcome surprise when I updated my Nocticron 42.5/1.2.

Update Contents for H-NS043
Improvements
Date/Version Description

2015/08/05
Ver. 1.2
Dual I.S.( Image Stabilizer ) is available by this firmware update. (in case of the usage of Camera with this function)
* Dual I.S.:Innovative Handshake Correction System by the ideal combination of lens I.S and Body I.S.

2014/04/22
Ver. 1.1
Improved the motion picture quality under high sensitivity in use with GH4.

Hmm, that sounds promising, similar to Sony's way of dealing with this kind of situation. :grin:
I haven't yet updated mine. But this morning read that Olympus warned that the last Mac version won't be able to make the update, but that a new version of the updater or firmware would be available on the 30th November fir those users.

k-hawinkler

I haven't yet updated mine. But this morning read that Olympus warned that the last Mac version won't be able to make the update, but that a new version of the updater or firmware would be available on the 30th November fir those users.

Many thanks Annna. That's good to know. I updated under Yosemite. Under El Capitan I only verified that the updater 1.2.1 recognized the camera. I stopped there! :grin:
Thanks again.! :D

Many thanks Annna. That's good to know. I updated under Yosemite. Under El Capitan I only verified that the updater 1.2.1 recognized the camera. I stopped there! :grin:
Thanks again.! :D
The problem is only with Olympus Updater 1.2 which is not compatible with El Capitan (does not connect with the camera and does not update probably due to a signature issue) . The only way I know to get Olympus Updater 1.21 under El Capitan at the moment is via Olympus Capture. I did that way and now I got my OMD EM1 and EM5II properly updated.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The problem is only with Olympus Updater 1.2 which is not compatible with El Capitan (does not connect with the camera and does not update probably due to a signature issue) . The only way I know to get Olympus Updater 1.21 under El Capitan at the moment is via Olympus Capture. I did that way and now I got my OMD EM1 and EM5II properly updated.
Links for Olympus Updater 1.21 can be found here: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/camera/cameradl.cfm

Godfrey

Running OS X "El Capitan" v10.11.1, from my administrator account:

• Ran Olympus Viewer 3 and had it check for software.
  • Updated and installed Olympus Firmware Updater 1.2.1
  • Connected E-M1 and connected to computer. Clicked "Storage" mode.
  • Ran Olympus Firmware Updater
  • Recognized camera, downloaded FW update, installed update.

Powered on again, camera now reports firmware v4.0 installed. Now to do a reset, then re-set all my configuration preferences.

BTW: I continue to hate the Olympus update process. It requires you have a computer running a compatible version of the OS software, the latest compatible version of their software, a solid internet connection, and a good cable connection to the camera running in a special mode as the update progresses, end to end. That's too many opportunities for potential failure that can turn the camera into a brick. I want updates to be distributed as files which I can download to a storage card then use a simple command on the camera: "Run Update on Card" ... the way everyone else but Sony does it. (I hate the similar Sony process too.)

But they don't listen to me. =8^\

G

k-hawinkler

OM-D Feature Upgrades | Olympus

E-M1 FW 4.0 items

Focus Bracketing
Focus Stacking
Advanced Focus Peaking
Silent Mode
Improved Anti-Shock Mode

Advanced Olympus Capture
S-OVF
4K Time Lapse Video
Live Composite on OI.Share
Manual Focus Clutch Disable
Menu Cursor Memory Position
Movie Image Stabilization with 5-Axis Optical IS and Digital IS
24p/25p Frame Rate
Movie Info Display
Movie Rec Start with RM-UC1 Release Cable
Time Code Settings
M-IS1 and M-IS2 image stabilization options

Slate Tone
Synchronized PCM Audio Recording in Video
Smooth Aperture supported with the M.Zuiko Premium lenses and M.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ lens.

E-M5.2 FW 2.0 items

Focus Bracketing
Advanced Olympus Capture
S-OVF
4K Time Lapse Video
Live Composite on OI.Share
Manual Focus Clutch Disable
Slate Tone
Synchronized PCM Audio Recording in Video
Movie-Exclusive Picture Mode Flat; Noise Filter for Video Shooting
Smooth Aperture supported with the M.Zuiko Premium lenses and M.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ lens.

f6cvalkyrie

that's exactely how I update my camera, godfrey, offline ! Via an SD card, with the file that was linked to by Brian ... But somehow that file disappeared mysteriously ... :confused::confused::confused:

C U,
Rafael

Powered on again, camera now reports firmware v4.0 installed. Now to do a reset, then re-set all my configuration preferences.

BTW: I continue to hate the Olympus update process. It requires you have a computer running a compatible version of the OS software, the latest compatible version of their software, a solid internet connection, and a good cable connection to the camera running in a special mode as the update progresses, end to end. That's too many opportunities for potential failure that can turn the camera into a brick. I want updates to be distributed as files which I can download to a storage card then use a simple command on the camera: "Run Update on Card" ... the way everyone else but Sony does it. (I hate the similar Sony process too.)

G

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Scott. That's a very cute kitten. Has your older cat accepted the kitten by now?
Barely. I expect things will continue to improve.

I always install new camera firmware as soon as it is released. But I have held back on El Cap betas because of multiple reports of incompatibilities. I also have installed every beta of a new raw file development program currently moving to a new level, and encountered no real problems. I guess our stuff is just not that complicated.

Oh. All three Pro zooms had a small firmware update (0 MB download, a few seconds to install) to work with 4.0 and 2.0. Has anyone spotted other lens updates that are needed?

scott

Last edited:

Godfrey

that's exactely how I update my camera, godfrey, offline ! Via an SD card, with the file that was linked to by Brian ... But somehow that file disappeared mysteriously ... :confused::confused::confused:

C U,
Rafael
For the Olympus, it is an unsupported update methodology, which makes it even more fragile than the brobdingnagian standard update mechanism. :-\

G

Annna T

Barely. I expect things will continue to improve.

I always install new camera firmware as soon as it is released. But I have held back on El Cap betas because of multiple reports of incompatibilities. I also have installed every beta of a new raw file development program currently moving to a new level, and encountered no real problems. I guess our stuff is just not that complicated.

Oh. All three Pro zooms had a small firmware update (0 MB download, a few seconds to install) to work with 4.0 and 2.0. Has anyone spotted other lens updates that are needed?

scott
Yes : Olympus has updated a lot of lenses (9 out of 16 listed). I had to update 5 of mines : 12mm F2, 12-40mm F2.8 pro, 40-150mm F2.8 pro. Olympus says this will allow you to disable the clutch mechanism allowing to pass from MF to AF and vice versa. May be good on the 40-150mm because I keep activating the clutch unvoluntarily while deploying the hood. Several other lenses have been updated too, even some not featuring the clutch. I updated the 45mm F1.8 and the 75mm F1.8.

These firmwares updates not linked to the clutch makes me wonder why they were updated ? may be that only the lens featuring that last firmware update will be able to use focus stacking and focus bracketing ?

You can find a complete list of the last updates for each lenses and bodies here : Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

NB : if you have an Olympus body, then this will also list the firmwares updates for Panasonic lenses. But for Panasonic only some of the most recent lenses have got a firmware update.

Last edited:

Annna T

For the Olympus, it is an unsupported update methodology, which makes it even more fragile than the brobdingnagian standard update mechanism. :-\

G
I found that the process was going more smoothly this last time : unlike in previous updates I made, you don't get a totally black display for 10 minutes before getting anything on your display : you see nice rotating points. It says the firmware is downloading and show you how much has been done. Then there barely a short blackout before you see the sign indicating the firmware is getting installed. This is less disturbing than former updates, where you weren't knowing what was happening and where I was often at the verge of disconnecting because it was taking too long.

So still not my preferred method either, but at least the process was improved and run more smoothly than before.

Knorp

C U,
Rafael
Hey hey, I've provided the link in post #114 ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Updated my EM1 and all my lenses - Pro 12-40, Pro 40-150, 1.8/17, 1.8/75 - without any problems.

Silent shutter is pretty impressive though :D

Knorp

G
I too stopped listening to you a long time ago, Godfrey ... :p :LOL:
But you're spot on here (as usual), exactly how I did my updates on El Capitano.
Yesterday the Updater to 1.2.1 and this morning the firmware to 4.0
No need here for the Viewer though.

All the best.

Knorp

scott

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm F1.8 1.1 Nov. 26, 2015
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm F1.8 1.2 Nov. 26, 2015
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm F2.8 Macro 1.2 Nov. 26, 2015
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm F1.8 1.2 Nov. 26, 2015