The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quieter lenses?

V

Vivek

I am playing around with a GM1 and found the two lenses I still have from my G1 days (!)- the Oly 17/2.8 and the Pana 20/1.7- quite noisy while focusing. With manual focus lenses the camera is totally quiet (only the e shutter works) when the beeps are turned off.

Any suggestions for quiet (and preferably compact) lenses? Is the Pana 14/2.5 quieter?

TIA!

pikme

Ha, you actually have the two noisiest (and slowest) focusing lenses available. Perhaps only matched by version 1 of the Olympus 14-42.

All of the newer lenses are either completely silent or very quiet to focus and focus speed is instant, without any of the racking in and out of the older lenses.

You need to go to a store and try some newer lenses. You'll be shocked at the difference.

Note, I haven't tried any of the Panasonic EZ lenses or primes such as 14 or 15mm. Most of my lenses are Olympus, although I do have Panny 14-45, 45f2.8 and 25f1.4.

V

Vivek

Thank you, Roberto.

I have decided to get the Panasonic 35-100 as the only new system lens for the GM1, for now.

V

Vivek

But for the AF noise, I like the Olympus 17/2.8 (I hated it on my G1) on the GM1. I am looking at other compact primes-

How does the 45mm Olympus compare with that of 42.5 f/1.7 Panasonic?

Also the 25mm f/1.8 vs the 25 f/1.7?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek,

The Oly 25/1.8 and 45/1.8 lenses are (to my ears) silent on the E-M5 Mk II. The 20/1.7 is audible, but in most natural environments, effectively silent. The 12/2 is silent, too.

Four favourite lenses on the Mk II, a camera I find myself liking more and more.

V

Vivek

Hi Kit,

Thanks for the information! I think I am going to convert my GM1 to a monochrome camera (when time permitting) and will revisit this question at that time. I have convinced myself that I need that 35-100 compact zoom from Panasonic. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Kit,

Thanks for the information! I think I am going to convert my GM1 to a monochrome camera (when time permitting) and will revisit this question at that time. I have convinced myself that I need that 35-100 compact zoom from Panasonic. :)
A friend of mine bought that lens last year. It's the coolest piece of optics ever. Tiny, tiny, tiny, but delivers excellent imagery. I'm tempted myself, but shouldn't...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The 35-100 is, as Jorgen says, amazingly small (I might take a photo later of it sitting next to the Oly 25) and it makes lovely images. The 35-100 delivers on the original µ4/3rd's promise of smaller, much smaller, lenses than FF.

V

Vivek

The 35-100 is, as Jorgen says, amazingly small (I might take a photo later of it sitting next to the Oly 25) and it makes lovely images. The 35-100 delivers on the original µ4/3rd's promise of smaller, much smaller, lenses than FF.
After many months, I bought a new one (albeit silver) for a third of the list prices here. It is awesome! :thumbs:
I bought a 12-32 as well to complement it. The AF speed is quite good and they are quiet as well.

Though both are being used for Infrared (GM1) at the moment, I am quite seriously thinking of getting a GM5 or GX80 for visible light pics.

The 35-100 brings so much fun into snapping. :)

Annna T

The tiniest MFT lens is a Panasonic pancake, the 14mm F2.5. If I remember correctly it is quiet while operating. It would make a nice combo for street shooting, if you like to go near to the subjects.

At the time they were available for very cheap from eBay resellers. (I think they came from splitting kits : Panasonic marketing had apparently goofed because those who were buying the camera preferred the zoom kit to the fixed lens.

V

Vivek

Anna, I was the first one to buy/use the first m43 cam here. I am not a newbie. I sold my 14/2.5 to Kit, a while back.

The price on V1 (stock clearance) came because of the imminent V2 release.