The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gobsmacked flabbergasted ...

Knorp

For those of you with the appropriate Panny (DMC-GX8, DMC-G7, and DMC-FZ330), you may be interested in this: post focus
I'm still puzzled what it does and why you want this ... :confused:
But it's certainly a kind of cool feature ...

:watch:

Brian Mosley

They could use this technique to simulate narrow depth of field... One of the last features of FF with fast lenses.

It's got potential.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

They could use this technique to simulate narrow depth of field... One of the last features of FF with fast lenses.

It's got potential.

Cheers

Brian
I think you are missing out on quite a few features, Brian. Shallow dof isn't just FF territory (can be done with m43 because of the way they make the cams- thick stack glass on the sensor).

There is a boket thread going here and nowhere else!

Brian Mosley

I think you are missing out on quite a few features, Brian. Shallow dof isn't just FF territory (can be done with m43 because of the way they make the cams- thick stack glass on the sensor).

Hmm, I'm sure I must be missing something! I'd love to get much more narrow depth of field with my Olympus 17mm f1.8 or 12mm f2

I know I can step back with my Hexanon 57mm f1.2, or further back with my 75mm f1.8 but I'm thinking narrow depth of field with a wide / normal lens would be fun.

Cheers

Brian

But look at it. Most of the shots are flower close ups. I posted some people shots two months ago (14.09.15) and there has only been one since then that is not a flower or a spider.

Our daily press is flooded with sports shots with shallow depth of focus. That is what makes them work and nye impossible in m43.

Tony

Pictures of bokeh only - no in focus image (but some might object to that)

OK. I see. That was the intention in post #1 of the bokeh thread. So a few of us have gone wrong - me included on my sole post.

However, I have now had time to view the Panasonic video and I would have thought it was possible to adapt the system to produce narrow depth of field pictures. Maybe picking an in focus frame and combining it with one where the focus is set close to the camera throwing the background considerably out of focus.

Shallow depth of focus is the biggest thing I miss having moved from FF to m43. Quite often I work on the same jobs as FF shooters and that is how I tell the two sets of shots apart. Even working with my 1.2 42.5mm lens I can't emulate the result.

Tony

Lars

As I understand it, the Panasonic post focus functions by shooting 4K video for continuous focus bracketing.

While this works for post focusing by essentially picking the desired frame, it's not computational imaging - it's just a video. So there is no simulated bokeh, just whatever the lens gives you.

Then again I might have misunderstood.

Lars

:lecture:
Just a reminder about how DOF works in an optical system with an aperture: Given a certain angle of view of a lens, the amount (radius) of defocus (relative to image size) is determined by the aperture physical diameter.

In other words: it is the physical diameter of the aperture that determines how shallow DOF you get.

For example:
Take a normal lens on m4/3, a 25 mm at f/2.0: this is a 12.5 mm aperture.
In a FF system a similar normal lens is 50 mm so the same amount of relative defocus is reached at the same 12.5 mm aperture, which is f/4.0.
And using an 8x10" view camera (would you call that Mega 5/4? :D) a normal lens is about 340 mm, so a 12.5 mm aperture for the same about of relative defocus would be f/27.2.

jfwfoto

As I understand it, the Panasonic post focus functions by shooting 4K video for continuous focus bracketing.

While this works for post focusing by essentially picking the desired frame, it's not computational imaging - it's just a video. So there is no simulated bokeh, just whatever the lens gives you.

Then again I might have misunderstood.
The computational imaging is in PP with this feature. I was testing post focus with my GX8 shooting some tropical foliage. Reviewing the 4k video in camera I touched each point in the image where I wanted focus and generated in camera a 8mpx image of each focus plane. I did a focus stack in p'shop that delivered an image that was sharp from several inches to several feet. The most interesting part is that I was shooting f2 at 400iso in low light hand held. So any time you need to shoot wide open and achieve wide dof, post focus can do it for you. Subject movement is a problem if the stitch does not work everywhere but in my instance I was able to layer blend one of the individual images into the affected area for a clean result.