The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GM5 and lenses first impression

Tim

How are all the GM5 users here finding the EVF?
For those that have used others like the EM5, EM5II, A7, A7rII or any other you can think of etc EVFs how does it compare?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For those that have used others like the EM5, EM5II, A7, A7rII or any other you can think of etc EVFs how does it compare?
It's relatively small, but very sharp, bright and clear.

Edit: I see from dpr that the viewfinder magnification is only 0.92x while it's 1.34x for the GH3 that I used to have and 1.48x for the E-M1. Quite a difference.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here are a couple of test shots at ISO 6400, both with the OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 wide open. This is a rather tiny lens and very suitable for m4/3. Very sharp, and with a nice rendering. Easy to focus too, since the peaking responds nicely to the sharpness of the lens. Unfortunately, my OM adapter focuses past infinity and is generally of bad quality, so I have to concentrate when using it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Size notwithstanding, the native m43 lenses are much better than this and all the OM lenses (and pen F as well). YMMV. :)
For all the native m4/3 lenses, I would need to pay money. This and other OM lenses would bring in very small amounts if I sold them, so most of them are basically free. Some of my most sold stock photos are taken with OM lenses on various m4/3 cameras. That's good enough for me :)

Lars

Looked at your grip photos, Lars. I think I'll go for the J.B. grip for now. It's relatively lightweight (they claim less than 3 ounces/85 grams) and seems to give a superior grip. It does add bulk though and is not particularly cheap at $85. Here's a couple of their promotional photos:

Then, I need a nice, little strap for this. The Nokia strap that I use now isn't very comfortable.
That grip looks great. A dovetail plate was a priority for me - and cost. I think my grips were about $28 and $25. Add another $10 for much more grip tape than I need.
Either way consider getting that grip tape - it's really versatile.

Lars

I sent the watch pics above to the Italian designer who made the watch - he liked them and asked for more. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That grip looks great. A dovetail plate was a priority for me - and cost. I think my grips were about $28 and $25. Add another $10 for much more grip tape than I need.
Either way consider getting that grip tape - it's really versatile.
Cost is important to me too, but I'm an expert convincing myself about ways to increase the budget :ROTFL:

raist3d

It is tiny but it's usable still. I have used it from time to time. I think the ideal EVF in this compact size though belongs to the Sony RX100 series. But still, it's fine.

- Ricardo

Lars

I haven't used other EVFs much so my point of reference is a bit muddled. I find the EVF usable and useful, although I'm pretty sure I have seen better optics in finders for disposable cameras.

For me, the major upside is that looking through the viewfinder I can see the image (and menus) sharply even without reading glasses. This is a real issue at night.

Lars

An alternative for grip - of you are OK with something more permanent - is to get one of those glue-on/adhesive grips, or just make your own using some really sticky tape and a cut of wiring (like a 5cm piece of coaxial cable). Or perhaps a piece of door insulation foam strip to make a cushy grip.

I was thinking of doing this but a more built-up grip would be incompatible with either of the dovetail grips I have.