The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

raist3d

Yup, got one yesterday. Stopped myself from going Sony RX1RMKII (nothing wrong with it, it's fantastic but not for what I shoot/way I shoot). All cameras are now good.

the Lumix GM5 is the camera I should have bought a year ago. It's a Pentax Q Turbo Charged (speed) with a M43rds sensor.

A couple of shots to start, more comments later. I am surprised how well the AF system works. If find it actually better than the OMD EM5 MKII's.

-Ricardo

Brian Mosley

These and our PMs have made me realise that I should have checked out the GM5 before buying the RX100 m4 (which I love) - especially for rapid, compact Street shooting with the 17mm f1.8.

However, for my typical subject matter, the RX100 m4's compactness combined with high res and great DR at base ISO combined with the full frame + awesome lens on the RX1 have compensated for the slow focusing.

Enjoy! It looks like you've found an awesome Street shooting tool.

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

These and our PMs have made me realise that I should have checked out the GM5 before buying the RX100 m4 (which I love) - especially for rapid, compact Street shooting with the 17mm f1.8.

However, for my typical subject matter, the RX100 m4's compactness combined with high res and great DR at base ISO combined with the full frame + awesome lens on the RX1 have compensated for the slow focusing.

Enjoy! It looks like you've found an awesome Street shooting tool.

Cheers

Brian
The RX100MKIV is pretty great. I have some shots to post still with it. All cameras are great now. For me it was about speed and the focal lengths. If I was into video, I would keep the RX100 MKIV for the 4K. I think you are doing fine with the landscapes shots you are doing with it.

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

I bought a GM1 (identical in most respects to the GM5) prior to buying the Sony RX1R II. The only thing that is almost identical between the GM1/GM5 and the RX1R II is the battery life.

The shutter on the RX1R II is quieter. The low light performance (AF, IQ, noise, etc) is without match as is the boket via a 35mm (17mm) lens.

I read that the output from GM1/5 is 12bit and that drops to 10 while using adapted lenses and/or the silent shutter.

Despite all this, I would have bought a GM5 if it only had a tilt/swivel LCD. The fixed LCD was a deal breaker (not interested in the GX7/8 due to size). Perhaps the GM7 would offer it together with a better shutter.

raist3d

I bought a GM1 (identical in most respects to the GM5) prior to buying the Sony RX1R II. The only thing that is almost identical between the GM1/GM5 and the RX1R II is the battery life.

The shutter on the RX1R II is quieter. The low light performance (AF, IQ, noise, etc) is without match as is the boket via a 35mm (17mm) lens.

I read that the output from GM1/5 is 12bit and that drops to 10 while using adapted lenses and/or the silent shutter.
Apparently so, yes. Fortunately at night the GM5 shutter is very quiet (from what I see quite than the GM1's I remember), and I am pretty covered in speeds from 1sec to 1/500. I am normally shooting at 1/50, 1/30, 1/125-1/250 depending on subject & lens, so I don't have to deal with that.

In daylight the drops affects it much less because you are shooting at a lower ISO unless you are in a very high contrast scene I suppose, but so far haven't bumped into particular issues.

Despite all this, I would have bought a GM5 if it only had a tilt/swivel LCD. The fixed LCD was a deal breaker (not interested in the GX7/8 due to size). Perhaps the GM7 would offer it together with a better shutter.
I am expecting about the same shutter with the GM7, but I am also expecting the new GX8 sensor with slightly better chroma noise and color sensitivity.

From the Autofocus I have seen, I am willing to bet the GM5 focuses faster still than the R1XRMKII. The AF of the GM5 is crazy good- pretty surprising when I see it focusing the Olympus 75mm F1.8 prime in CDAF and better than the OMD EM5 MKII itself.

The RX1RII can't use faster lenses, some of those close some of the big gap between the two at night. My main issue is simply I am not a 35mm shooter and if I have to crop constantly at that point using a proper lens on M43rds would match in many situations for the most part or come closer.

Also the fact the GM5 is still smaller and I can put it in a pocket with its kit lens or even some of the other primes... can't do that with the RX1RII. To me that's a huge diff too.

Not to say the RX1RII is bad, it's pretty phenomenal obviously. But the GM5 is the Pentax Q I wanted. And to my surprise, turbo charged.

Last edited:

Lars

Yep high and low sensitivity setting. Seems to work well - I can't compare as I have not used any other camera with focus peaking.

Lars

Not to say the RX1RII is bad, it's pretty phenomenal obviously. But the GM5 is the Pentax Q I wanted. And to my surprise, turbo charged.
RX1R2 is in a completely different cost bracket - while I appreciate a technical discussion on specific features I don't think it makes sense to compare a GM5 to a RX1RII at 7x the cost. Ferrari vs. Fiat, anyone?

Reminds me... my first car was a 1970 Fiat 124 Sport. Obviously I was then very interested in Fiat's sports cars of the late 60's - early 70's. The holy grail in those terms was the Fiat Dino, which was powered by a true 60-degree Ferrari V6 from the Ferrari Dino. The back story was that Ferrari could not produce and sell enough of the Dino model to get it homologated for competition, so the Fiat Dino was created to get the powertrain through homologation. So maybe sometimes it does make sense to compare a Fiat to a Ferrari. :)

V

Vivek

There are no Ferraris here and it is all Fiat and it is fabulous for the price. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No Punto though, okay?
The GM5 must be the equivalent of the 128 3P I once had. I ordered one today btw., a GM5, not a 3P. I wouldn't mind another 3P though. One of the most enjoyable cars I've owned :D

... and I still dream about the Dino Spider. Unfortunately, they are getting more expensive every year :(

Lars

There is hope - new 124 Spider on the way. It's essentially a Miata, with an Italian power train. Hopefully there will be an insane Abarth version.
Oops, got distracted from topic.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There is hope - new 124 Spider on the way. It's essentially a Miata, with an Italian power train. Hopefully there will be an insane Abarth version.
Oops, got distracted from topic.
Unfortunately, Fiat is not available here, except for the 500, that sells for insane prices. The distributor wanted to get rid of Fiat's "family car image", so doubled or tripled the prices. MX-5 is here, and the GM5 of course. I ordered the latter, since it's much cheaper :D

Lars

:)
Come to think of it - if we were to play "if my camera were a car" I would peg the GM5 as a MX-5 Miata.
I'd rather not think of having an Italian camera. Lunar anyone? :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:)
Come to think of it - if we were to play "if my camera were a car" I would peg the GM5 as a MX-5 Miata.
I'd rather not think of having an Italian camera. Lunar anyone? :ROTFL:
Careful with what you say. This camera, the most beautiful SLR ever, was designed by Italdesign/Giugiaro, as were all of Nikon's top models since the F3:

I do prefer a GM5 over a Lunar though :)

Lars

Post some pics please. Especially from the compact 35-100 zoom.
Sure thing - will do in the morning with some daylight for longer distance shots. Night-time here now.
Any specific aspect you are interested in?
Happy holidays,
-Lars