The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

Bugleone

..........An interesing thread and set of nice pics.

I saw and handled the GM5 with 12-32 at the branch of John Lewis in Cambridge (UK) recently and it certainly is a neat and small combo! I'm interested now in a replacement for my 4 year old Sony NEX 3 which makes superb files but has no v/f and compares very poorly with the jewel like GM5.......

In your pics the first is nice and sharp with good resolution but the temple scenes are very grainy (due to the high iso, presumably) ...in the 'sweetcorn & peanuts' still life there appears to be quite bad flare in the centre of the frame despite apparently continuous lighting........ Somehow m34 never looks quite as good as APS-C in so many pics posted on this site,...so, I don't know.......... How does the GM5 do in prints?....what size do you print to (if you make prints) Interested.

V

Vivek

Bugleone,

It is steam if I am not mistaken and not flare in the corn and nuts shot. The lenses are quite good optical performers. Absolutely no equivalence in the Sony line up and also there is no chance of it happening ever in the future.

ISO400 and the noise rears up. No need to go to higher sensitivities.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Bugleone,

It is steam if I am not mistaken and not flare in the corn and nuts shot. The lenses are quite good optical performers. Absolutely no equivalence in the Sony line up and also there is no chance of it happening ever in the future.

ISO400 and the noise rears up. No need to go to higher sensitivities.
Vivek is right of course. It's steam. The 12-32mm is the best value lens I've ever owned, and apart from the short zoom range, there are hardly any weaknesses. The 35-100mm flares more easily if there's a strong light source in the frame. I can post an example later.

Although there's grain at ISO 6400, the images are still very usable. I'll make some prints later and see how they look.

Elliot

Anybody have the red body? I'm wondering if it is too noticeable or if it is muted. I assume the photos will not be tinted.:cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Anybody have the red body? I'm wondering if it is too noticeable or if it is muted. I assume the photos will not be tinted.:cool:
No, but I have a green photo ;)

GM5 with Pana 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 68mm and f/5.5

I wouldn't worry about the colour of the body. It's so small that people don't notice it anyway. If I'm buying a second one, I might buy a red one to know which is which :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
More experimenting with the GM5. I've found that I can get much more out of m4/3 RAW files than thought was possible. I just have to be a lot bolder when doing the post processing.

GM5 with Pana 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 100mm and f/5.6

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I posted a photo of this woman almost 8 years ago. Much has happened and much have changed since then.

GM5 with Pana 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 83mm and f/5.6

This is 8 years ago, taken with the Fuji S5 and Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 (I think):

raist3d

I agree with you about the GM5. The little camera has an amazing well thought out interface, ergonomics and it's very fast to operate.

From Day of The Dead, SF 2016 (last week).

- Ricardo