The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

raist3d

How do these photos print, say at 13x19"?
Funny you ask- I did that test just three days ago on Epson R2880, Ultra Premium Exhibit (or whatever that name is) Matte paper and yes, it's still pretty sharp.

I still wish for a GM7 with the new 20MP sensor and no AA filter, but until Panasonic hopefully can make a plan to make the GM line profitable enough for them, the GM5 will do.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I still wish for a GM7 with the new 20MP sensor and no AA filter, but until Panasonic hopefully can make a plan to make the GM line profitable enough for them, the GM5 will do.

- Ricardo
I've noticed that GM5 prices on eBay have gone up a lot since I bought mine 10 months ago, so maybe people are starting to discover this great little camera. I would buy a GM6/7/8 too, with 4K and no AA filter :)

Last edited:

Elliot

I really appreciate what you accomplish with the GM5.

If I get anything, though, I am more likely to go for the bigger GX85 as it comes down in price, or maybe the Olympus E-M10ii because of the better viewfinder.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I really appreciate what you accomplish with the GM5.

If I get anything, though, I am more likely to go for the bigger GX85 as it comes down in price, or maybe the Olympus E-M10ii because of the better viewfinder.
I did try the GX85 the other day, believing it could serve as a compact body number two or a replacement for the GM5. It's tempting, since it has 4K as well as IBIS. However, it's very much bigger and twice the weight, so I shelved it for now. What absolutely amazes me with the GM5 are the very good ergonomics for such a tiny camera. I expected it to be awkward to use, but it isn't.

raist3d

I did try the GX85 the other day, believing it could serve as a compact body number two or a replacement for the GM5. It's tempting, since it has 4K as well as IBIS. However, it's very much bigger and twice the weight, so I shelved it for now. What absolutely amazes me with the GM5 are the very good ergonomics for such a tiny camera. I expected it to be awkward to use, but it isn't.
I have to agree with all you said. The GX85 looks like a great deal.. and it is! - except that it's just not a GM line camera... as you said it's bigger, weights more. The PenF is about the same size though I find Panasonic's AF and usability much superior (The PenF does have great files though).

Even if Panasonic just added a firmware upgrade with RAW conversion to the GM5 I would be very happy but I don't see them doing that.

I completely agree on the ergonomics. The GM5 just feels right and yet it's so tiny. The only other camera I can think of this size with this ergonomics is the Pentax Q/ Ricoh GR. Nikon 1 J4/J5 comes close... if Nikon just fixed a couple of annoyances they would be also pretty great (it's pretty good as it is).

- Ricardo

Elliot

Enough talk. Here's a train.

GM5 with 35-100mm f/4-5.6 @ 100mm and f/5.6

This seems to be a good illustration of what makes a micro four thirds camera potentially such a great tool, and that is the use of its inherent DOF. Here the entire frame is the subject, providing not just the arrival of the locomotive the event, but information about the whole train.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This seems to be a good illustration of what makes a micro four thirds camera potentially such a great tool, and that is the use of its inherent DOF. Here the entire frame is the subject, providing not just the arrival of the locomotive the event, but information about the whole train.
It's a question of photographic style. I am usually looking for depth to be able to tell a story, and then the extended DOF suits me very well. Others may see it as a limitation. It does force me to concentrate on the entire frame though, which I do, and with subjects in motion, that also means trying to predict when different subjects will be in the optimal position relative to each other.

teeraash

Because of this threat and Joegen's posts in particular, I bought the plasticky lens 12-32 for around 70 Usd. Will report back how it performs on my m43 body.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Because of this threat and Joegen's posts in particular, I bought the plasticky lens 12-32 for around 70 Usd. Will report back how it performs on my m43 body.
That's the spirit!

Do you or have you owned the GX8 by the way? I consider buying a used one to complement the GM5 and to use instead of the E-M1 when I don't need 4/3 lenses. I'm looking for some honest user experiences.

teeraash

That's the spirit!

Do you or have you owned the GX8 by the way? I consider buying a used one to complement the GM5 and to use instead of the E-M1 when I don't need 4/3 lenses. I'm looking for some honest user experiences.
I love tbe gx8 very much except for few things. The ois is terrible with lenses that dont have ois but working extremely well with lenses that enable dual ois. Exposure compensation dial is situated too far for my thumb to reach. On a positive side, its IQ is very good, SAF is extremely fast. I can do street shooting with nocticron 42.5 wo at 1.2 in dim before dawn light, just lift the camera up and shoot away. I am certain that fuji xt2 with 56/1.2 is no match for the gx8 combo in this regard. Only thing that stop my itchy fingers from hitting a buy button to have the gx8 back is a thought that pana may release the 9 some time next year. Hope that this time around they copy fuji xt2 lcd screen so we can have both a tilt-up screen for street shooting and a fully swivel screen for movie&selfie in the same camera. In a mean while I'll have to use all my m43 lenses with the pen-f . Having both pana and oly bodies is not really a bad idea as lumix lenses will be optimized for the lumix bodies and vice versa for the oly's lenses. Besides, Oly 25/1.2 Pro is kind of tempting as this is my fav focal lenght. Hope they have a discount on this lens on the upcoming photofair.

BTW, I played with the m1 ii & 12-100mm early this week and I know right away that this camera is not for me. Too big, too heavy, too fast not to say too expensive!

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I love tbe gx8 very much except for few things. The ois is terrible with lenses that dont have ois but working extremely well with lenses that enable dual ois. Exposure compensation dial is situated too far for my thumb to reach. On a positive side, its IQ is very good, SAF is extremely fast. I can do street shooting with nocticron 42.5 wo at 1.2 in dim before dawn light, just lift the camera up and shoot away. I am certain that fuji xt2 with 56/1.2 is no match for the gx8 combo in this regard. Only thing that stop my itchy fingers from hitting a buy button to have the gx8 back is a thought that pana may release the 9 some time next year. Hope that this time around they copy fuji xt2 lcd screen so we can have both a tilt-up screen for street shooting and a fully swivel screen for movie&selfie in the same camera. In a mean while I'll have to use all my m43 lenses with the pen-f . Having both pana and oly bodies is not really a bad idea as lumix lenses will be optimized for the lumix bodies and vice versa for the oly's lenses. Besides, Oly 25/1.2 Pro is kind of tempting as this is my fav focal lenght. Hope they have a discount on this lens on the upcoming photofair.

BTW, I played with the m1 ii & 12-100mm early this week and I know right away that this camera is not for me. Too big, too heavy, too fast not to say too expensive!
Thank you, Khun Teera. I will be picking up a used GX8 on Monday at you know where :D

I'll keep the E-M1 for now, for use with the PanaLeica 14-50 and the Zuiko 40-150, but if I'm satisfied with how the GX8 works and if it can AF reasonably fast with the PanaLeica (4/3 lens), I might sell the E-M1 and 40-150 and go for the PanaLeica 100-400 instead, since that will give me much more reach and dual IS.

teeraash

Don't forget to use auto electronic first curtain shutter or whatever they call it. The gx8 will automatically switches to efcs for certain lenses at certain shutter speed ranges. Ive never notice ss with this camera no matter how hard I tried to find. Probably I dont have problem plaqued lenses that dpreview has. ;)

Knorp

That's the spirit!

Well, I know I'm pretty 'pleased' with my GX8. I bought one because of biglouis. Yeah - I'm quite sure he's the one to blame ... :p
Compared to the EM1-I it's only the GX8's fully articulated screen that I'm not too sure off.

While we are at it: you may consider too that lovely 15/1.7 ...

Kind regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I know I'm pretty 'pleased' with my GX8. I bought one because of biglouis. Yeah - I'm quite sure he's the one to blame ... :p
Compared to the EM1-I it's only the GX8's fully articulated screen that I'm not too sure off.

While we are at it: you may consider too that lovely 15/1.7 ...

Kind regards.
I've been considering the 15mm for quite a while. It's a question of time... and money :p

teeraash

I have the 15mm but contemplating to add the oly 17mm to my arsenal. It's not the IQ, sharpness or anything like that. It is mainly the focal lenght. Although only 2mm diff but I do remember that I had more fun and more productive time with the 17mm than the 15mm.