The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Lumix GM5

raist3d

Jorgen- did you see the GX800/GX850/GF9 announcement? I think Panasonic has with it killed the GM line, on the other hand, looks like they did put several things in the new camera I wanted (no AA filter, in-raw converter apparently, depth from defocus).

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen- did you see the GX800/GX850/GF9 announcement? I think Panasonic has with it killed the GM line, on the other hand, looks like they did put several things in the new camera I wanted (no AA filter, in-raw converter apparently, depth from defocus).

- Ricardo
I did, and I find it a bit strange. It's a larger but cheaper camera lacking in ergonomics but better equipped from an imaging point of view. Could we have a GX8500 please, with the GM5 body and the GX850 innards?

Elliot

I did, and I find it a bit strange. It's a larger but cheaper camera lacking in ergonomics but better equipped from an imaging point of view. Could we have a GX8500 please, with the GM5 body and the GX850 innards?
Maybe the model number would be the GMX8505.....you never know with Panasonic. :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Maybe the model number would be the GMX8505.....you never know with Panasonic. :rolleyes:
As long as the naming of their cameras is the only thing they can't figure out, I'm satisfied. Have you noticed that they have painted "Lumix" on the front of their cameras since they entered the stills camera business? Have you ever met a single person who has referred to his Panasonic camera as a Lumix?

They only time I can remember Panasonic had success with a different brand name was with Technics, but they cancelled that, stating that in the future, all Panasonic products would be named "Panasonic". I'm still very happy with my Technics stereo:

Edit: I see that they kept the Technics brand after all. There's even a 50 years anniversary edition of the legendary SL-1200 :shocked:

A Journey of Music Rediscovery

Edit 2:
It was re-launched in 2014, Technics, not the GM5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4NY0i425sw

Edit 3:

WOW... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYT9y6WqMm8

Last edited:

raist3d

It's almost the same size though. I also think the GM line is at least for now, dead.

:-(

I have some contacts and the romulan intelligence is that they didn't sell as well as they wanted, consolidating the line makes sense. The only thing I don't like of the GX850 is I hate those "power shot arrow+button" wheels... would have been better a GM5 style control.

Other than that, I like the articulated LCD, I can deal with the other missing buttons. You get the sharp of the GX85 (no AA) and colors that are really decent (if anything I am seeing from the GX80/GX85 is a measure to go by).

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It apparently uses the same battery as the GM5, the BLH7 of which I have three already, so for an ultralight travel setup, it would represent a nice duo; one with viewfinder and one with flip screen, one with 4K and one without. Looks cool too, at lest in black. As if I need more cameras :ROTFL:

Elliot

As long as the naming of their cameras is the only thing they can't figure out, I'm satisfied. Have you noticed that they have painted "Lumix" on the front of their cameras since they entered the stills camera business? Have you ever met a single person who has referred to his Panasonic camera as a Lumix?
You mean the Lumix G? That's the other thing -- it doesn't say G-85 (or G7, etc.) on the front, just G. And then there is the "L" type symbol on the front at the bottom.

I guess if you can't figure out how to operate your Panasonic camera, it becomes a Flummox G----

They do know how to build cameras, though.

raist3d

It apparently uses the same battery as the GM5, the BLH7 of which I have three already, so for an ultralight travel setup, it would represent a nice duo; one with viewfinder and one with flip screen, one with 4K and one without. Looks cool too, at lest in black. As if I need more cameras :ROTFL:
So far I have verified the following-

- Should have the same or almost same image quality of GX85
- Super sharp/ no AA filter
- Has in-camera RAW converter
- Uses same CPU (quad core) of GX85/GX8
- Looks like it uses the same JPEG engine or similar to GX85 (meaning good JPEG color for Panasonic - a first for them)
- Apparently responds near as fast as the GX85.
- RAW buffer over GM5 has ~doubled ( 7 raw images vs 15 raw images continuous shooting)
- Same mechanical/electronic shutter of GM5
- You can customize the top buttons to whatever you want (the usual Panasonic F function customization)
- Camera has a "reset everything" button behind the articulated LCD in the back in case you need to reset to reasonable photographic defaults in a hurry. I think that's great.
- Can charge batteries in-camera
- Unfortunately uses micro SD (yuck)
- Uses same battery of GM1/GM5
- Has built in flash but no flash socket.

Yes, I am probably there. I have a backup GM5 that is virtually new, that I bought on closeout when the rumors were Panasonic was stopping the GM line. I may sell and get this one.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Masculinity

In other news, I decided after more research to pre-order the GX850, and sell my 2nd (backup) GM5.

When I get it, hopefully in two weeks or so, I'll voice up my thoughts.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Got the GX850 (USA)/GX800 (EU)/GF9 (Asia/Japan) today - black

Camera focuses as fast as gx85 in what I tried.

Camera response is near gx85 - extremely close to it- just seems a hair slower notably faster than gm5. Maybe just as fast as GX85.

To my surprise they took out the highlights and shadow items from their jpeg engine options but the in camera raw converter has them. I guess they were trying to simplify.

Surprised that when put side to side next to the gm5, it sure looks "big" or bigger.

No option to magnify the pinpoint focus when it focuses beyond its default magnification.

No option to set LCD refresh to 60 or 30- need to check to see if it always tries to run at 60fps and if it does that probably explains part of the battery life.

Camera is very very fast. Though this is exactly what I was expecting.

Dial+menu wheel is ok (I hate those things, and it's alright).

Image quality/JPEG engine is pretty much the GX85. Maybe by default just a notch more color. Not sure. I think it's about the same.

raist3d

I was wrong about GX850 not being able to magnify the pinpoint AF. You can but you have to do it from the settings of the mode instead of being able to also do it live on the fly.

Probably to eliminate confusion about doing something the same way, and one of them far less used.

If you are curious about the image quality just check the GX85 / GX80 shots. It's the same.

- Ricardo

Knorp

Thanks, Ricardo.

:OT: this current naming convention, undoubtedly introduced with the best intentions, does make things confusing and complicated ... :banghead:

raist3d

No worries, I understand. If you want to move it to "Fun with GX850" I am cool with that.

Only posted those impressions here to be in reference to the GM5 since Panasonic has made the new camera its successor pretty much (even if it's not quite quite the idea successor).

I will open another thread eventually, but please, move it if you think it's for the best.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No worries, I understand. If you want to move it to "Fun with GX850" I am cool with that.

Only posted those impressions here to be in reference to the GM5 since Panasonic has made the new camera its successor pretty much (even if it's not quite quite the idea successor).

I will open another thread eventually, but please, move it if you think it's for the best.

- Ricardo
Maybe this thread could be renamed "Fun with Panasonic GM/GF". There's a strong resemblance between the Pana micro bodies.

Knorp

- Ricardo

No it's not you, Ricardo.
It's Panasonic I'm referring to.

raist3d

No it's not you, Ricardo.
It's Panasonic I'm referring to.
OMG LOL :) I remember when I read your post I scratched my head a bit. Somehow I made it all about me me me :) That makes more sense.

I think Jorgen has a good idea. Anyhow just in case, a shot from last night - three guys watching a recently happened car crash between a taxi cab and another driver at an intersection. I had to get out late night to check it out because the cab car was honking intermittently, with a full 4-6 minutes constant before doing the pattern.

Took then like 20 minutes-30 minutes for the ER crew to arrive and disconnect the darn battery. Looks like nobody got hurt, but I can't understand why the car went in that mode.

- Ricardo