The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M5 Mark II "digital keystone compensation" feature

gebseng

Dear forum members,

Wouldn't it be great if the "digital keystone compensation" feature was coupled to the camera gyroscopes roll or pitch data? That would basically allow to digitally "shift" the lens when tilting the camera up or down.

best,

geb

Tim

Do you mean shift the sensor up/down? Like a variation on the movement it does for the 40Mpixel mode?
I don't think it can move the sensor far enough, but I could be wrong.

Or are you thinking some kind of electronic shift lens? - That would be a first I think.

gebseng

What I mean is taking the existing "digital keystone compensation" feature of the E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 (introduced with firmware 2.0, detailed explanation here: http://thedigitalstory.com/2014/11/how-to-use-keystone-compensation-omd-em1.html), but instead of having to dial in the compensation factor manually, like it is necessary now, the camera could use the gyroscope data to check how far "up" or "down" the camera is tilted, and then automatically use the result as the compensation factor. That would factually be a "digital shift" lens.

(The sensor movement could not be used, since it's probably not more than 1 or 2 mm)

best,

geb

Tim

Ok, I get it now. With just a little bit of sensor res loss. Maybe 5%?
It would be a good idea for architectural users.

gebseng

Ok, I get it now. With just a little bit of sensor res loss. Maybe 5%?
It would be a good idea for architectural users.
Yes, resolution would not be a problem if you combine it with the Mark IIs HighRes Multishot mode, since this feature would only be used with a tripod anyway.