The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any reviews of MS Optical C/T mount adapter?

R

Ranger 9

Now that using Leica M-mount lenses on a G1 has become old hat, and all the cool kids have moved on to using C-mount cine lenses, I want to look into playing that game.

Besides, there's a local camera show coming up next month where, in the past, scads of ugly old C-mount lenses have been available at junk-box prices; you know, "Anything in this box $1" -- and I want to be able to scoop up some bargains before word begins getting around about the kinds of results Peter Mc and Vivek and Monza et al have been getting.

So the question becomes "What C-mount adapter should I buy?" and I wondered if anyone knew about this one newly announced by Japan Exposures:

I'm sure Dirk wouldn't be selling it if it were too junky, and I like the idea of having the T-mount thread to double my craziness opportunities.

However, I've been reading posts here about mechanical-interference issues when mounting some C-mount lenses on some adapters, and wonder if the addition of the T thread would make this one more likely to have problems. Also, this info on the product page makes it sound as if the screws that secure the inner insert are somewhat delicate.

Does anyone here have experience with this adapter to give me a read on whether it works well? Or would I be better off waiting for my new best pal Ronn Jin (who seems like a stand-up guy even if his OEMs can't read a micrometer for beans) to pull a C-mount adapter out of his Chinese magic hat? Or something else?

monza

It just became available a couple of days ago. I have one en route...will be happy to report when it arrives.

R

Ranger 9

Speaking of C-mount adapters, I see that RJ ("jinfinance" on eBay) also has his C-mount adapter out.

He claims no mechanical interference with lenses having a base diameter up to 37.2mm, which is a bit larger than permitted by Mr. Hawk's adapter (36.5mm.) I will be interested to see how this compares to the Japan Exposures adapter and am looking forward to Monza's review of it.

Incidentally, it seems lucky that such a variety of adapters is already available and most of the prices seem moderate. Since mounting the adapter in the camera and then interchanging threaded C-mount lenses would be slow compared to a bayonet mount, I can imagine using one or two favorite C-mount lenses by buying adapters for them and leaving the adapter on the lens.

monza

Unfortunately many lenses are in the 39 to 40mm range...requiring the back of the lenses to be shaved:

R

Ranger 9

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Are you turning down the rear rings yourself, or do you have a machine shop that can do it?

(I'll bet that we'll find a lot of modern C-mount lenses intended for TV use are going to have these large base diameters that require modification like Monza is doing. Old cine camera lenses seem likely to be smaller at the base because they had to fit on the three- or four-lens turrets that many of these cameras had.)

monza

The Pentax is 2nd from the right. It's about the same size as a roll of 35mm film. Both the doggie shots in the other thread were taken with it.

Jonas

The Pentax is 2nd from the right. It's about the same size as a roll of 35mm film. Both the doggie shots in the other thread were taken with it.
Now I see it! :)

Aha. Well, that was better than I expected. How is the lens on the camera? Too small to operate? I guess you had to remove the stop screws - does that mean the aperture and focusing ring are too little damped?

From what I can see this far the lens is interesting as a possible working option, so any comments on it are welcome.

monza

I haven't had much time with these lenses yet, so I'll have a better report later. BTW, the two shots here were taken with the 25/1.4 Tevidon and the 25/1.4 Pentax, 16:9 format. These are not cropped.

R

Ranger 9

What are the other lenses in the photos?

I can read the maximum apertures off the rings, and I can see the focal length of the lens on the right; otherwise...?

W

wblynch

I haven't had much time with these lenses yet, so I'll have a better report later. BTW, the two shots here were taken with the 25/1.4 Tevidon and the 25/1.4 Pentax, 16:9 format. These are not cropped.

The Pentax seems warmer and I don't see any corner vignetting

monza

First photo left to right:

8.5/1.5 Cosmicar, 12.5/1.4 Cosmicar, 25/1.4 Tevidon, 12.5/1.3 Computar

Second photo swaps the Pentax 25/1.4 for the Tevidon.

Jonas

First impression is OK then I guess, or at least not a disaster. I'm looking forward to anything more on the Pentax whenever you got the time.

B

butterdada

Thank you for this info. Is this the adapter you used for the excellent pictures in your other thread?
I bought four C to M4/3 adaptor from him.
Photos from such as Angenieux 25/1.4 was used with his adaptor.

m3photo

Re: Tevidon in 16:9 format

... the two shots here were taken with the 25/1.4 Tevidon and the 25/1.4 Pentax, 16:9 format. These are not cropped.
G1 in 16:9 format (thank you Monza for the tip) + Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tevidon 1.4 25mm lens @ 1/1000 f/4 ISO 100
This lens is as yet unmodified so only short range focus possible - about a couple of metres at infinity setting from a couple of stops down - f/2.8-f/4.
The image is a little oversharpened to better show on the web at 930 pixels wide what this little lens can do.

wjlapier

So, the Tevidon needs machining--bummer--I'm still waiting for mine and the adapter too. I do have the Kern Switar 25/1.4. Nice chunk of a lens. Does this one need machining too? I hope not.

Monza--have you posted pictures from the Cosmicars yet, and who makes them?

monza

Bill, the Cosmicar line was apparently bought by Pentax, I don't think that name is used anymore. The 8.5mm and 12.5mm do not cover the sensor. The 8.5mm actually extends a bit too far into the G1, it will conflict with the black baffle inside the sensor chamber. If you look at the 8.5 on the left, you can see there is a retaining ring that extends beyond the c-mount threads. Any lens that extends that far is a no-go, I think I can get the 8.5 to work by shaving a tiny bit off the retaining ring.

If you send me your Tevidon and adapter I can machine them for you and align things so the focus scale is up.

The Tevidons have apparently been snapped up and are no longer available for $40. :( Someone else has them for $100 now.

R

Ranger 9

Re: Tevidon in 16:9 format

G1 in 16:9 format (thank you Monza for the tip) + Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tevidon 1.4 25mm lens @ 1/1000 f/4 ISO 100
This lens is as yet unmodified so only short range focus possible - about a couple of metres at infinity setting from a couple of stops down - f/2.8-f/4.
The image is a little oversharpened to better show on the web at 930 pixels wide what this little lens can do.
There have certainly been a lot of beautiful photos made with C-mount lenses in this forum lately. Makes me want to try out some C-mount lenses myself... the problem is that some of you are evidently such talented shooters that I suspect you could get beautiful photos through the bottom of a Coke bottle!

(Anybody seen a bottom-of-a-Coke-bottle adapter for Micro Four Thirds yet?)

Last edited: