The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

pellicle

Tullio

an example of the auction I mean is here, but I notice the whole kit price is now US$110 ... up a little from my recollection

JBurnett

I'm talking about the menu option to change the IS mode to OFF, Mode1 or mode2.
Ahh... Well, I haven't touched that option since I made a choice on "day 1" many months ago (and it wasn't the OFF choice). And I shoot with manual lenses all the time. So, no, you don't have to turn that off. In the same vein, you need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" to use legacy glass, but you don't have to change that back for native lenses.

hodad66

you need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" to use legacy glass, but you don't have to change that back for native lenses.
That's good to know as I set mine while waiting for an adapter
for my FD lenses. Well, a 45-200 will get here before the adapter
it seems and you have saved me from turning off the "shoot
without lens" setting. :bugeyes:

Tullio

Ahh... you need to set the camera to "shoot without lens" to use legacy glass, but you don't have to change that back for native lenses.
Thanks, John. I know that much as I've been shooting with my Pentax 50mm. I also noticed that the IS menu option is grey'ed out when a manual lens is mounted on the camera. So, I don't really need to worry about it.

I need some advice on a macro lens. I'm looking into getting the Canon 50mm 3.5 macro. I prefer those 90mm macro lenses but I just got a Pentax 135mm and I'm having a hard time focusing due to the long FL (too much camera shake) and obtaining blur-free images (also due to camera shake). I know I should be using a tripod due to the lack of IS but I find it intrusive some times. Thus, I'm leaning toward the 50mm 3.5 macro (or perhaps a 28-55mm or even a 35-70mm macro). What do you guys think would be the best choice here? Thanks a bunch!

JBurnett

I need some advice on a macro lens. I'm looking into getting the Canon 50mm 3.5 macro.
Check out the other threads on macro options in this forum. You'll find a lot of very good advice.

Zoom lenses may bill themselves as having macro capabilities, but they don't usually focus all that close. And a dedicated macro lens will outperform the zoom without question.

The Canon FD 50mm is well regarded. Bear in mind that this lens will do 1:2, but needs an extension tube in order to focus to 1:1. The tube isn't terribly expensive, however.

50mm options are generally lighter than the 90mm lenses, and easier to use handheld. The working distance with a 50mm lens is closer, but I don't find it too restricting.

Tullio,

I need some advice on a macro lens. I'm looking into getting the Canon 50mm 3.5 macro.
I do not know the Canon you mention. A very good shorter macro lens that is available at reasonable price (less than $100) is the 50mm/3.5 Micro Nikkor. It can be an older version (AIS, AI or pre-AI) as they differ only in the way of transmitting the aperture information to the Nikon bodies, and this is irrelevant with a m4/3 camera

I know I should be using a tripod
For good results with macro work this seems the most essential rule, more important than the best lens

Cheers
Peter

Tullio

Nice composition in that first one. I usually can't help myself from removing spider webs and detritus, though. :eek:
Thanks for the comment, John. Yeah, I don't bother cleaning up spider webs. They are just part of life...they're everywhere!

Tullio

Here's another one taken with the Osawa 135mm lens. I'd never heard of this lens before (and could not find munch info. about it on the net either). Bought it on eBay for $11. It's not a great lens but believe it or not, it performs better than the Takumar 135mm I also bought on eBay, which will go right back up for sale!).

pellicle

hodad ... when did you get the 200 2.8??

wonder if you would mind doing something like that squirrel shot (altough a less challenging subject) at 2.8 and 4 so I can scratch my head about the worth of the extra (less dof) stop