The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My DMC-G1 with manual focus lenses

deepdiver

Hi guys,
I know i might sound crazy...
I just bought Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH + Lumix G1 + Rayqual adapter.
At first I want to buy Leica M8.2 but it's expensive, therefore I decided to use G1 for a while :)
until I have enough money to buy Leica M8.2 or maybe M9 :D

So excited!
Here are some my pics that were taken this morning using G1 + LUX 50 ASPH
all at F1.4

The focusing was very easy on Lumix G1
I like it :thumbup:

Andree

Last edited:
T

tash

Personally I think Rong Jin has a very friendly approach and serviceminded attitude on the issues.
He has immediately answered my emails and he has promised to send me a new adapter.
I'm sure he will quickly respond to any question if you email him.
Hi Bondo,
I wrote Jinfinance 4 emails.
I ordered and paid the adaptor on 2/10.
He shipped the old batch adaptor to me on 2/13 which hasn't arrived.
He has started to ship new batch on 2/16 (according to his email today).
He acknowledged that he will ship me an adaptor from a new batch today after 4 emails and 22 days.
I still don't know when he will ship the new item to me. It can be tomorrow or whenever he feels like it.
I'm glad that he responded quickly and friendly to you and many people in this forum but to me this going to be my last order from him.:thumbdown:

Teera

wjlapier

Andree,
it's all downhill from here on out :)

The G1 is a fun camera to use with adaptable lenses, and great image quality too. You have an impressive line of Nikon lenses. Maybe check into a F>G1/M adapter and give some of that stuff a try. I just ordered a F>M adapter to use my Nikon manual focus lenses on the G1--I already have the M>G1 adapter :cool:

B

butterdada

Sorry , not arri to M4/3 adaptor.
It's arriflex to Leica M adaptor.

deepdiver

Andree,
it's all downhill from here on out :)

The G1 is a fun camera to use with adaptable lenses, and great image quality too. You have an impressive line of Nikon lenses. Maybe check into a F>G1/M adapter and give some of that stuff a try. I just ordered a F>M adapter to use my Nikon manual focus lenses on the G1--I already have the M>G1 adapter :cool:
Hi Wjlapier
Yes, I already checked it!
Novoflex should have it on this may 2009 :)
I can't wait to use my Nikon Lens on G1 :D
However, to be honest now I'm addicted to M lens :cry: Leica M lens is so tiny but the quality is superb.
I really need to start saving my money...
Dreaming of Leica 24/1.4 :D

Jonas

(...)
Dreaming of Leica 24/1.4 :D
Some, if not most, RF wide angle lenses on the G1 means a problem with smeared borders and corners. If you buy the 24/1.4 make sure you can return it if you aren't happy with the borders.

I bought the CV28/2 Ultron thinking it would make for a good reasonably fast normal lens on my G1. Checking the borders I had to rethink and I am now evaluating an SLR lens instead. Before the CV28/2 I also tried a CV35/1.2 and a CV35/1.7, they were both a no go. I kept the CV35/1.7 for a small and nice portrait lens as I don't care much about the borders for most portrait situations. It is however not a very good performer as a versatile all-round lens.

deepdiver

Yes, Jonas
I've heard that problem too.
Hm... I already pre-ordered CV 35/1.2 Should receive it by next week.
At first I want to buy summilux 35/1.4 But the price tag is so heavy :(
and it's F1.4 not F1.2 :D
I want to try F1.2 lens

fortynine

fortynine,
Looks like the lens worked out great for you. Some nice photos with that lens.
thanks.

but I was shooting @ISO 1000 f1.2 1/40 frequently so pushing the lens & cam to the limits. It was fun but not easy. Wish I had faster f1.4 wides. The C-mount beckons!

Last edited:

Jonas

CV 35mm 1.2 is great! I shot a wedding with just 35 1.2 & G1 recently (...)
Yes, it is a great lens, a jewel and with more leica feel to it than some Leica lenses. The RF people may find it big but I come from the DSLR world and think it is just fine.

The smeared borders is not a problem as long as you use the center part only. Duh. That sounded silly. I mean, for portraits and a lot of other occasions it works just fine. But I wanted a versatile lens possible to use for everything and then it fell short.

That was a nice image, btw, very much to my taste.

monza

Fedex ground delivered this Robot lens very late in the day, so I had to scramble before things got too dark. This is a two second exposure with the Schneider Xenon 40/1.9 @ 1.9. Robot to LTM adapter, LTM to M adapter, Rayqual M adapter, G1.

Fedex ground delivered this Robot lens very late in the day, so I had to scramble before things got too dark. This is a two second exposure with the Schneider Xenon 40/1.9 @ 1.9. Robot to LTM adapter, LTM to M adapter, Rayqual M adapter, G1.
Beautiful color rendition and bokeh, I love those Xenons on the G1. Just "won" a 25mm/1.4 c-mount Xenon today. I intend to use it as my standard lens while the older one is away for TLC.

wjlapier

Robert, does that lens cover the whole sensor? All ratios?

I just got a few lenses to play with today. Two cheapy Wollensaks that are built like tanks, tinier than my Kern 25/1.4, sharp, and cover the sensor at all ratios Heavy little things. And they don't need to be machined! The Som I mention to you before also covers the sensor too--all three are 1" lens. Two are 1.9 and one is 2.5. I'll take them out for a shoot soon. They are an ergonomic nightmare though. The engravings are so small I have to use a loupe to read them :eek: and the focus and aperture info is on the underside of the lens of course :rolleyes:

I also got a cheapy Kodak 15/2.5 that is surprisingly very nice. It has a neat feature where you can unscrew the front of the lens and rotate it so that the aperture and focus info is on top. Does not cover the sensor completely, even at 16:9.

So far these four don't need to be machined.

Bill

monza

Thanks Peter, I can't wait to try out this Xenon tomorrow in real light. :)

Bill, yes it covers the sensor in all formats, the Robot frame being larger than m4/3.

Did you pick up the Som Berthiot Cinor 25/1.9? I have one of those en route. I'll be very pleased if it covers the sensor...is the c-mount removable so you could rotate so the focus scale is up?

wjlapier

Thanks Peter, I can't wait to try out this Xenon tomorrow in real light. :)

Bill, yes it covers the sensor in all formats, the Robot frame being larger than m4/3.

Did you pick up the Som Berthiot Cinor 25/1.9? I have one of those en route. I'll be very pleased if it covers the sensor...is the c-mount removable so you could rotate so the focus scale is up?
Peter's comment about his 25mm Xenon confused me and I thought you had the c-mount version--I see your's is a 40/1.9. My Som is a Lytar 1"/1.9. As for removing the c-mount--I wouldn't know where to look to see if it was possible.

So far I have four lenses in c-mount that cover the sensor--the three I mentioned and a Canon 50/1.8. The Canon is a very nice lens that is much more ergonomics friendly. It's interesting to me that the three 1" lenses cover the sensor OK, but the 25mm Switar doesn't. Edit: The Switar does cover the sensor at 16:9 wide open.

Last edited: