Site Sponsors

Thread: External mic recommendations for GX-8

Post Thanks / Like

External mic recommendations for GX-8

OK, it is inevitable that I would finally play with video on m43rds.

I can't believe the quality. Amazing.

I would like a decent external mic with a bit more directionality and some wind noise resistance. Do I have to pay an arm and a leg for one, or are there some decent buys for simple YouTube type videos that I can use?

While I am about it I also would consider a clip on, as well.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: External mic recommendations for GX-8

Louis,

Rode has some good "on-camera" mikes for video...
    I'm using one on my GH2, and happy with the results !

CU,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From an online GX8 review:

Lastly, unlike the G7 and GH4, the GX8's microphone jack is of the smaller, less common 2.5mm variety that does double-duty as a remote input, which means a Panasonic-brand microphone or a 3.5-to-2.5mm jack adapter will be needed.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, both.

Took a look at the Rode and managed to find an 'open-box' one for a discount on the RRP at Amazon. Also bought the dead cat wind sock and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter (don't you just love standards. So many to chose from).

I still can't get over the quality of the video and how well the 12-35 works. I did a small amount of zooming in and out and the AF caught up almost instantly except in one case where the model (my wife, actually) was moving something in her hand - then it hunted a bit.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot some video with the GX8 for the first time yesterday. My wife is in a Japanese Taiko drumming group and they had an outdoor performance. The video quality is excellent, but as I expected, I need an external mic for better audio. I have an older Rode Videomic (not the new Videomic Pro) that I could use with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. It works well on my Canon HD camcorder. However, I was looking at the Panasonic DMW-MS2 mic designed for the GH3 and GH4. It has some interesting features when used with those cameras, but I haven't been able to find any info on how it might work with the GX8. Does anyone have experience using this mic on the GX8 or a Panasonic m43 camera other than the GH3/GH4?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I shot some video with the GX8 for the first time yesterday. My wife is in a Japanese Taiko drumming group and they had an outdoor performance. The video quality is excellent, but as I expected, I need an external mic for better audio. I have an older Rode Videomic (not the new Videomic Pro) that I could use with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. It works well on my Canon HD camcorder. However, I was looking at the Panasonic DMW-MS2 mic designed for the GH3 and GH4. It has some interesting features when used with those cameras, but I haven't been able to find any info on how it might work with the GX8. Does anyone have experience using this mic on the GX8 or a Panasonic m43 camera other than the GH3/GH4?

Gary
    Gary, the MS2 is a good mic but will not work with your GX8 (I own both). The MS2 is powered by the camera while most of the third party mics are self-powered (via a battery). The GX8 does not provide power to the microphone while the GH3 and GH4 do provide that power (2.5 vdc, I think). Additionally, the MS2 features are controlled with camera menu selections and the GX8 does not have those items in the menu (there are no switches on the MS2 itself). Another popular mic that requires power from the camera is the Rode Videomic GO which also will not work on the GX8. For self-powered mics that would work on your GX8, assuming you want to stay under $200, there are the Rode Videomic Pro, Sennheiser MKE 400, and Shure VP83 (this is the one I use with the GX8). Generally speaking, if it has a battery, it will probably work with the GX8. You will also need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.

The MS2 is a true shotgun mic but the others that I mentioned are various forms of cardioid. All are condenser mics. The MS2 also has stereo capability and these others are mono with the single channel duplicated for pseudo-stereo.

Most video is only half complete without audio so it is important to record the best audio that you can (afford).

David