The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-M1, E-M5, E-M5.2, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter.

I keep using FF, APS-C, and m43 systems.
No plans to change that.
IBIS attracted me to m43 initially.
Short register distance did the same to get me to buy Sony cameras.
That way I had other options for my Leica M and R lenses.
Then we all found out how much sensor cover glass thickness really matters...
Oh well.

My most used camera these days is a Sony A7r2.
Hopefully the FE 70-200/2.8 GM OSS with teleconverters performs well enough on my A7r2 for birding purposes. :facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter.

I keep using FF, APS-C, and m43 systems.
No plans to change that.
IBIS attracted me to m43 initially.
Short register distance did the same to get me to buy Sony cameras.
That way I had other options for my Leica M and R lenses.
Then we all found out how much sensor cover glass thickness really matters...
Oh well.

My most used camera these days is a Sony A7r2.
Hopefully the FE 70-200/2.8 GM OSS with teleconverters performs well enough on my A7r2 for birding purposes. :facesmack:
I do hope so for you ;)

Anyway, I am getting more and more intrigued by the Fuji X system again :LOL:

k-hawinkler

I do hope so for you ;)

Anyway, I am getting more and more intrigued by the Fuji X system again :LOL:

Thanks Peter. A friend of mine uses the Fuji X system with its many superb lenses with excellent results. I wish you good luck with your decision.

Although I think highly of the Fuji system with AF I won't go that way for a simple reason. I am already heavily invested in Sony FF and APS-C cameras with several E and FE lenses, the latter also doing double duty on APS-C format. I am waiting for Sony to release an APS-C camera with IBIS... :grin:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter. A friend of mine uses the Fuji X system with its many superb lenses with excellent results. I wish you good luck with your decision.

Although I think highly of the Fuji system with AF I won't go that way for a simple reason. I am already heavily invested in Sony FF and APS-C cameras with several E and FE lenses, the latter also doing double duty on APS-C format. I am waiting for Sony to release an APS-C camera with IBIS... :grin:
I am fully with you WRT Sony!

My only issue with Sony is (was) that I went into this system years ago with the Sony A900 and several Zeiss zooms. Results were great and I started to love this system, but finally Sony decided to no longer really support the A mount (lenses and cameras). This was the decision then for me to leave and go back to Nikon, where I am a happy camper with the D810, which I am using even for wildlife.

I am in m43 since years and currently wit the EM1 but kind of am disappointed with where the journey goes (20MP and IMHO gimmicks like high res shooting etc. I would have preferred a great 24MP m43 solution, which is obviously out of reach, so for a smaller mirrorless system my best option seems to become Fuji since the introduction of the XPro2 and the planned and rumored XT2.

But I have not taken any final decision yet :cool:

k-hawinkler

Beautiful reds !

Thank you, Anna. Of course sunshine helps.
The sensor of the E-M5.2 seems to handle these colors very well though and Capture One Pro 9 processing can be very subtle with colors. :thumbs:
The latter is the reason I prefer COP9 over LR or PS.

k-hawinkler

Provided there is enough light, i.e. one can shoot at fairly low ISO settings, the Olympus 300/4 Pro lens performs stunningly well on E-M1 and E-M5.2 IMHO.
Here are two images taken with E-M5.2 + 300/4 lens, one with the background OOF, and one with the foreground OOF.

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=250, 1/1000 s.

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=200, 1/1000 s.

Now a couple of images taken later at dusk, when AutoISO ran against its set upper limit of ISO 6400.

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=6,400, 1/320 s.

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=6,400, 1/320 s.

Here the damage in the fine details of the pine needles seems substantial. They look more like cabbages than needles to me.
I believe this is entirely due to the MFT sensors used, with their inferior high ISO performance, as compared to state of the art FF sensors.

Now a quite different scene at ISO 3200 earlier in the evening.

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/4, ISO=3,200, 1/320 s.

This seems to look more pleasing to my eyes.
The problem with the Turkey Vultures is that they tend to return to their roost in the evening when it is already getting too dark for the sensors in my m43 cameras given an f/4 lens.

A more promising approach for these kinds of available light shots seems to be to use a Sony A7r2 and Leica APO-R 280/4 manual only lens.
Or use the new FE 70-200/2.8 GM OSS lens with 1.4x or 2x teleconverters on the A7r2.
This also gives a much larger FOV.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

One of the two different kinds of squirrels in Bandelier National Monument.

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/18, ISO=200, 1/40 s.

k-hawinkler

They finally are getting around to pave the new access road to the other side of Frijoles creek with its overflow parking space and picnic areas!
This is one of the new footbridges. Once they remove the red plastic fencing surrounding the construction side access will be restored! Yeah!

E-M5.2 + M.300mm F4.0 @ FL=300 mm, F/10, ISO=200, 1/60 s.

k-hawinkler

Buckman Rapids of the Rio Grande, NM at the End of February.

E-M5.2 + M.75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II @ FL=300 mm, F/11, ISO=1250, 1/80 s.