The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I wrote something about the G1 on my snarky blog

R

Ranger 9

It's not exactly a review, doesn't include any technical info, and you probably won't find it interesting... but having invested the effort to write the dratted thing, I felt as if I ought to plug it somewhere. Click here, or don't...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I liked the concept of seeing through the camera. You've articulated something I've felt before. But to be honest, that realization got buried by the heavy application of the "I don't care" dressing. Just my reaction. Really like a lot of the photos.

Brian Mosley

From one crap golfer to another, I salute you sir! :salute:

Nice little write-up, it would be even nicer to see more images you've shot with the G1 mixed in...

Thanks for sharing

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's not exactly a review, doesn't include any technical info, and you probably won't find it interesting... but having invested the effort to write the dratted thing, I felt as if I ought to plug it somewhere. Click here, or don't...
Too funny. Glad you posted the link here

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Ranger9, I think you do care because you have taken a lot of really nice photos with the G1.
I enjoyed your comparison of the G1 to your R-D1 and your way of seeing with them both.

R

Ranger 9

But to be honest, that realization got buried by the heavy application of the "I don't care" dressing. Just my reaction.
You're right, but I wrote the thing standing up (literal truth!) and didn't invest a lot of time balancing my rhetoric. I used to get paid to write, so am trying not to take do-it-yourself blogging too seriously.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Oh my God:

I read this and wondered what the problem was. Ranger had nothing negative to say, as far as I could see about the G1. So I thought I would take another look at my RD-1.

I turned around in my chair to pick it up (all my cameras are within arm's reach.) I haven't used it for months, since I got my G1.

I turned it on and looked for the picture on the LCD - it wasn't there. Took a while to realize - it doesn't have live view. Then I looked for a histogram in the viewfinder - this is real light, and it can't have a histogram! Yes it takes all those lovely legacy M-lenses just like the G1, but it can't take a zoom? Some of the best pictures I've taken over the past while have been with the two Panasonic kit lenses for the G1.

Then I tried to focus, and started to wonder - why do people want to put themselves through this seventy-year old technology to see how far the camera is from the subject?

I have my Pentax K-10 within arms length too, and after using the G1, I can hardly lift it up to take a picture. Too much work - especially at my age.

I can't give the G1 up - someone will have to prise it out of my hands. It's even got me to look seriously at 4/3 cameras (but I think I am convinced on evfs)

I think I'm as disoriented as Ranger 9 :confused:

Keith

andrewteee

Great editorial on the G1! I like your approach to both golf and photography. I've tried to simply have fun playing golf in the past (I suck at it, but enjoy it for the same reasons as you), but the other golfers make it not fun. Every single one of them seemed to get ticked off or impatient with someone out just enjoying themselves.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Ranger9;

I just wanted to congratulate you with that text, and say that I feel exactely the same.

It is unbelievable that one piece of modern digital camera technology can both be a highly automated picture machine, and at the same time, swing you back 30 or more years in time , accepting your oldest glass and accessories, through some not very expensive mechanical adaptors, to allow you to make those pictures that smell years gone bye.

Have a nice day, unless you have other plans
Rafael

PS : I hope that you don't mind, that I put a link in my facebook homepage to your original text. If you don't like that, just let me know, and I will take it off-line

Terry

Great read! Well done...a lot of blogs are blocked at work so I had to wait all day until I got home to take a peek. Worth the wait.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I was (with Terry) at Mesa Arch a year ago, and there were a whole bunch of photographers blocking what was the "perfect" shot.
View attachment 12859
I suppose that we ought to have asked them if we could play through :ROTFL:
-bob

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

And if that didn't work, you could just yell "Fore!" and bean them with a monopod...