The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

extension tubes with G1....

Diane B

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I'm a new user of adaptors so wonder if there is a reasonable means to use extension tubes with the G1.

I haven't explored with other mounts, but I have an FD->m4/3rds adaptor. Seems to me that I could use FD extension tubes (I've found several very inexpensive ones on KEH) with my 3 FD lenses(24 f/2.8, 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8). Since I prefer to manual focus with macros anyhow--and the MF assist is so terrific--I can't see a downside to using these. I sometimes carry extension tubes with a 50mm lens and my 5D instead of carrying my macro lens--works pretty well. Am I right in assuming that I would mount the adaptor, then the tube(s), then the lens? Any problem anyone can see in this?

Also--because of the 2x crop--would I consider thinking about the sizes differently? There are several FD sets that have the same 3 sizes as what I use now---12mm, 20mm, 36mm--and other size sets also (one with 50mm).

Any other thoughts about this or any other approaches to doing occasional macros? I'd love to have dedicated m4/3rds extension tubes (be perfectly happy with a set without electrical contacts since I will likely MF anyhow) but there aren't any available--though I did email jinfinance and make a request LOL.

Diane

Last edited:

monza

Diane,

Yes, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use extension tubes with your FD lenses and adapter.

I use Olympus Pen lenses with extension tubes on the G1, it works great. (I even have a Pen F bellows to get REALLY close.) And you are right, manual focus is no hindrance with macros, the LCD makes for easy viewing and focus.

As for which sizes, that all depends on how close you want to get.

Jonas

(...)Am I right in assuming that I would mount the adaptor, then the tube(s), then the lens? Any problem anyone can see in this?

Also--because of the 2x crop--would I consider thinking about the sizes differently? There are several FD sets that have the same 3 sizes as what I use now---12mm, 20mm, 36mm--and other size sets also (one with 50mm).

Any other thoughts about this or any other approaches to doing occasional macros? (...)
There is no other way to mount the parts and i don't see any problem. The net result is very much as mounting the tubes and the lens to the camera once made for them.

You can think of the tube sizes the same way as always. Just remember the sensor is smaller than usual.

I tried a V2XMFTC (FD-mount version) with a 24mm FD lens for the fun of it:

I didn't care to remove the hood from the lens so the above is as close as I could get. A 12.5mm object fills the 17mm sensor so a bit more than 1.3:1 magnification then.

Well, a 24mm lens isn't made for macros and the working distance gets too short. But it is surprisingly sharp over the frame.

"V2XMFTC" is a short way to say "Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Tele Converter". They can be found cheap at eBay. It is a 2x tele converter inside a variable extension tube turning a standard 50mm into a 100mm 1:1 macro still being able of focusing to infinity.

Optically it isn't a perfect solution but it sure is good enough for the occasional tele image as well as for the occasional macro.

Cheers, /Jonas

Diane B

Jonas, I bought an FD Vivitar set--12, 20, 36mm and a Canon 25mm tube--all for $20--from Ebay. I have the same set (maybe Kenko) for my Canon EF mounts. I like them best on the 50mm, though they are fine on the 35mm. Just not very useful--for me--on the 24.

Interesting to see to see the 2x converter too. There are all kinds of bits and pieces for these old lens.

Diane