The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX80 files are looking good

biglouis

Only 5 days to the GH5 announcement. That will be the overkill I probably can't resist.
That is fine if you are a videographer but what I would like is an updated GX8 with a 20mpx sensor without the AA filter and the newer shutter-shock-less shutter and IBIS. I only hope Panasonic don't think they are done for the year after January.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That is fine if you are a videographer but what I would like is an updated GX8 with a 20mpx sensor without the AA filter and the newer shutter-shock-less shutter and IBIS. I only hope Panasonic don't think they are done for the year after January.

LouisB
Although I do shoot some video, the important thing with the GH5 for me, based on experience with the GH3, is that it's a totally rock solid camera in every possible way. It's like a half price, half weight D5 that can also shoot broadcast quality video. The E-M1, a good camera too, never gave me that feeling performance, sturdiness and great ergonomics that the GH3 did and that I know that the GH5 will.

When that is said, I won't mind a GX9, but having just purchased the GX8, I still enjoy that camera a lot. I'll probably wait for the GH5 until I can buy one second hand anyway. At the moment, my priority is lenses.

hot

My favourite cameras are GX85 and NX500 and TZ81 (with 30x zoom) - I also have GH4 (no desire for GH5) and others ... all with 4K

GX85 is an excellent camera, EFV, moveable display, 4K (with 25 or 30 fps - like GH4), but best is: it is small, it is tiny!

I do not like big cameras, heavy equipment .. so I have NO G80/85!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My favourite cameras are GX85 and NX500 and TZ81 (with 30x zoom) - I also have GH4 (no desire for GH5) and others ... all with 4K

GX85 is an excellent camera, EFV, moveable display, 4K (with 25 or 30 fps - like GH4), but best is: it is small, it is tiny!

I do not like big cameras, heavy equipment .. so I have NO G80/85!
I follow your reasoning, but with the selection of high quality compact mirrorless cameras available now, there's really only a tiny bit of market space left for each model. In the compact range, Panasonic alone offers the GM5, GX85 and GX8, adding the GF9 in a few days. In addition, there are compact models from Olympus (Pen F, E-PL8 and E-M10) plus Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon and others too. Most of these cameras are very good, and I'm impressed by Panasonic's ability to churn out one quality model after the other. Although they were the first to present a mirrorless camera, they are not in any way the market leader, and their efforts must take a lot of resources.

For me, having the GM5 and the GX8 already, buying a GX85 would be complete nonsense, particularly since it uses a different battery from either of the two I have. It's clearly good, compact, reasonably priced and all that, but I paid less than the price for a new GX85 when I bought my mint GX8 and only half that for a new GM5. That's scary.

I consider the G85, since it offers most of what I need from the GH5 at half the price or less, and it uses the same battery as the GX8, which is great when travelling.

The conclusion from me is that while the GX80/85 is a fine camera, maybe a classic even, it will probably be discontinued or replaced within a year. That's kind of scary for a person who lived with an OM-1 as his main camera for thirty years :shocked:

biglouis

I follow your reasoning, but with the selection of high quality compact mirrorless cameras available now, there's really only a tiny bit of market space left for each model.
I'm just puzzled that Nikon has not joined the fray. A mirrorless Nikon body that also accepted the existing Nikkor range would be... awesome... it might even kill off both Panasonic and Olympus.

As it stands, unless Nikon do move in that direction, apart from high end pro bodies, I don't see much of a future for them or Canon (who have at least started to test the water in mirrorless).

I for one will never buy another camera with that strange analogue, optical viewfinder. Unless I can afford to go back to Hasselblad MF film...

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm just puzzled that Nikon has not joined the fray. A mirrorless Nikon body that also accepted the existing Nikkor range would be... awesome... it might even kill off both Panasonic and Olympus.

As it stands, unless Nikon do move in that direction, apart from high end pro bodies, I don't see much of a future for them or Canon (who have at least started to test the water in mirrorless).

I for one will never buy another camera with that strange analogue, optical viewfinder. Unless I can afford to go back to Hasselblad MF film...

Just my two cents.

LouisB
The worldwide DSLR market is still more than twice as big as the mirrorless market, and while the mirrorless market is divided between several manufacturers, the DSLR market is dominated by two players only, Canon and Nikon.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201611_e.pdf

biglouis

It is a frickin' awesome little camera. With the Lumix 12-35/2.8 - Princelet Street, Spitalfields, London.

hot

autostitched from 3 pictures

Samyang 7.5mm

two new lenses for mFT, but also for Sony, Fuji, ...

Last edited:

hot

GX80 + 12-32mm - light only one bulb 12W, distance 1.20m

pomegranate, € 0.79 :)

additional 10mm automatic ring

Last edited:

raist3d

Note to self:
Don't be fooled by this GAS-ridden bunch and their great photos. You have the GM5 and the GX8 already, and that's enough, do you hear?

:lecture: :banghead: :lecture:
No worries- the one for you is the GX800, sucessor to GF7/GF8 & GM5 :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

I have to say I never quite liked the Panasonic color JPEG engine. There's an issue with red, yellow and sometimes blue and even green.

But the GX85/GX80 jpegs I have seen around here and other places tell me that Panasonic finally figured enough right and I find myself liking a lot of the color I am seeing. Maybe the GX8 already had these changes- I haven't been following it too close since it's just not my camera (too big). But this is the first Panasonic camera I see that shows Panasonic jpegs can work (in color).

B&W Panasonic has done pretty well for a while.

- Ricardo

biglouis

I have to say I never quite liked the Panasonic color JPEG engine. There's an issue with red, yellow and sometimes blue and even green.

But the GX85/GX80 jpegs I have seen around here and other places tell me that Panasonic finally figured enough right and I find myself liking a lot of the color I am seeing. Maybe the GX8 already had these changes- I haven't been following it too close since it's just not my camera (too big). But this is the first Panasonic camera I see that shows Panasonic jpegs can work (in color).

B&W Panasonic has done pretty well for a while.

- Ricardo
It's that link with Leica... I'm just waiting for Leica to get their act together and re-badge the GX80 as the Digital CL...

LouisB