The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EM5 MII High Res help

jkjod

OK, sorry for the newbie question here...

I'm trying to use the High res mode with the EM5-II and I am only getting the 18mp jpeg on the card. I'm in the High res mode - I know this much for sure. I have the camera on RAW only, but still only getting the jpegs (and only 18mp ones, not 40). I'm new to this camera, not a pro, and just plain confused! Any help is much appreciated.

Jordan

Annna T

OK, sorry for the newbie question here...

I'm trying to use the High res mode with the EM5-II and I am only getting the 18mp jpeg on the card. I'm in the High res mode - I know this much for sure. I have the camera on RAW only, but still only getting the jpegs (and only 18mp ones, not 40). I'm new to this camera, not a pro, and just plain confused! Any help is much appreciated.

Jordan
Some shooting options aren't compatible with the Highres mode, but it has been a while since I tried this mode and I don't remember exactly which. Perhaps things like HDR, fast continuous drive mode, silent shutter and of course stabilization isn't available in this mode.. you will have to look into the manual where these limits are detailed.

Also first you have to activate that mode in the menus and choose the options you want (aka whether there is a delay between the shots for flash reloading). Once your options are set in the menu, you'll see the icon of the highres mode appear in the choices of drive modes. You have to choose this mode here.

jkjod

Thank you for the reply Anna,

I'm curious if its because of the stabilization as you mentioned, I will check this. The strange thing is the camera delays, fires, then gives me the "busy" screen while what seems like it would be stitching the images together - I just don't get the files. I won't be using the high res mode often, but I shoot a fair amount of film and I thought the extra resolution would be nice for when I "scan" larger negatives. Thanks again,

Jordan

Annna T

Thank you for the reply Anna,

I'm curious if its because of the stabilization as you mentioned, I will check this. The strange thing is the camera delays, fires, then gives me the "busy" screen while what seems like it would be stitching the images together - I just don't get the files. I won't be using the high res mode often, but I shoot a fair amount of film and I thought the extra resolution would be nice for when I "scan" larger negatives. Thanks again,

Jordan
I looked in the manual to refresh my knowledge. I remember that at the beginning I had the same problem as you. Here is what the manual says :

Shooting still pictures in a higher resolution (High Res Shot) (p. 60)

When shooting an unmoving subject, you can shoot pictures in a higher resolution. A
high resolution image is recorded by shooting several times while moving the imaging
sensor. Please shoot with the camera fixed to a tripod or similar.
You can change the time between the shutter button is pressed all the way down and
the shutter is released in [High Res Shot] in X Shooting menu 2. Set to [Off] to hide
this setting item (P. 95). After setting high resolution shot, you can select the image
quality of the high resolution shooting using image quality mode (P. 61).

1 Press the Q button to select j/Y (sequential shooting/self timer).
2 Select h using the front dial and press the Q button.
3 Shoot.

• If the camera is unstable, h will blink. Wait for the blinking to stop before shooting.
Cautions
• Image quality is fixed to LF.
• When image quality is set to RAW+JPEG, the camera saves a single RAW image
(extension “.ORI”) before combining it into a High Res Shot. Pre-combination RAW
images can only be played back on the software that comes with this camera.
• When shooting under fluorescent lighting etc., image quality may deteriorate.
• [Image Stabilizer] is set to [Off].

Selecting image quality (still image quality mode)
(p. 61)

After setting High Res Shot (P. 60), you can select between LF and LF+RAW.

Setting hi-res shot (High Res Shot) (p. 95)

When you set hi-res shot, the items will be marked with h in sequential shooting/self
timer mode (P. 58).

1 Select [High Res Shot] in X Shooting Menu 2.
2 Select the item you wish to set.

High Res Shot Sets the time period between the shutter button being pressed
all the way down and the shutter release when shooting in hi-res
shot mode. When this time period is set, h will be displayed in
sequential shooting/self timer mode. When not using hi-res shot,
set to [Off].
#Charge Time Sets the time to wait for the flash to complete recharging when
using a flash other than the dedicated flash that is supplied.

Hopefully that will help somewhat.

jkjod

I looked in the manual to refresh my knowledge. I remember that at the beginning I had the same problem as you. Here is what the manual says :

Shooting still pictures in a higher resolution (High Res Shot) (p. 60)

When shooting an unmoving subject, you can shoot pictures in a higher resolution. A
high resolution image is recorded by shooting several times while moving the imaging
sensor. Please shoot with the camera fixed to a tripod or similar.
You can change the time between the shutter button is pressed all the way down and
the shutter is released in [High Res Shot] in X Shooting menu 2. Set to [Off] to hide
this setting item (P. 95). After setting high resolution shot, you can select the image
quality of the high resolution shooting using image quality mode (P. 61).

1 Press the Q button to select j/Y (sequential shooting/self timer).
2 Select h using the front dial and press the Q button.
3 Shoot.

• If the camera is unstable, h will blink. Wait for the blinking to stop before shooting.
Cautions
• Image quality is fixed to LF.
• When image quality is set to RAW+JPEG, the camera saves a single RAW image
(extension “.ORI”) before combining it into a High Res Shot. Pre-combination RAW
images can only be played back on the software that comes with this camera.
• When shooting under fluorescent lighting etc., image quality may deteriorate.
• [Image Stabilizer] is set to [Off].

Selecting image quality (still image quality mode)
(p. 61)

After setting High Res Shot (P. 60), you can select between LF and LF+RAW.

Setting hi-res shot (High Res Shot) (p. 95)

When you set hi-res shot, the items will be marked with h in sequential shooting/self
timer mode (P. 58).

1 Select [High Res Shot] in X Shooting Menu 2.
2 Select the item you wish to set.

High Res Shot Sets the time period between the shutter button being pressed
all the way down and the shutter release when shooting in hi-res
shot mode. When this time period is set, h will be displayed in
sequential shooting/self timer mode. When not using hi-res shot,
set to [Off].
#Charge Time Sets the time to wait for the flash to complete recharging when
using a flash other than the dedicated flash that is supplied.

Hopefully that will help somewhat.
Thank you for the help! I think it was the silent shutter mode that was giving me trouble. The EM5-II is mainly my wife's camera, but I use it to "scan" 6x6 negatives - it does a fantastic job at this. I'll have to give a true macro lens a go at some point and not just the 12-40.

MJN20010.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr