The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GM1- Take 2

V

Vivek

After buying the Sony RX1R II, the GM1 was "resting". I thought I will get rid of the UV/IR cut filters (and replace them with a clear filter) to make it "full spectrum". I did that successfully.

The sensor may be from Panasonic or from Sony. It is in a ceramic package unlike the ones found in G1 or GX1 ( on a flex strip).

Some night time IR shots (with a 20/1.7 and 760nm IR filter):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Unfiltered (visible +IR):

Late evening reflected Ultraviolet capture (Pentax 25/2.8 Quartz lens + Baader U 2" filter):

Overall, useful but..as the UV shot shows, low shutter speeds activate an infrared pulse to check the shutter curtain speeds and bleeds through. I will try to get rid of this soon.

V

Vivek

Source of the IR pulse is identified and it could be plugged. :thumbs:

Also, I finally figured out how to get the maximum 60s exposures with any lens mounted.

Talk about menu diving!

zensu

Source of the IR pulse is identified and it could be plugged. :thumbs:

Also, I finally figured out how to get the maximum 60s exposures with any lens mounted.

Talk about menu diving!
Congratulations! I tried to get an international IR conversion company and they couldn't modify my filter stack on my Panasonic GM5 for IR due to this mysterious IR LED that would light up with every shutter fired. Ended up getting an Olympus E-P5 converted and it works better than it did before the conversion.
Glad you figured out how to stop this IR flashing light! :clap: That GM5 would have been a fantastic IR camera.
Bobby

V

Vivek

Thanks, Bobby.

There are differences between driven amateurs and professionals who do it for a fee. :)

V

Vivek

More than the EVF (GM5), an articulating LCD would have been more useful, particularly for shots like this.

A fly's eye view.

Hacked GM1, Olympus 17/2.8, RG690, Infrared