The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM Zuiko on m4/3 and 4/3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've invented another thread. I have all these OM-lenses, and some of them are rather good. When I feel rich, I'll probably buy a Speed Booster too, but for now, the Terrible Junk Adapter will have to do.

E-M1 with OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 @ f/4

I forgot to clean up CA, but I'm impressed how clean the results are from this cheap, little lens. It's a first generation "Silver Nose", more than 30 years old.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The weather was terrible, but I just had to try it; the OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex, hand held at 1/800s. It's such a tiny lens, but surprisingly good.

And a 100% crop:

I look forward to using this lens in sunny weather :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jorgen

I have the ZUIKO OM F2 100mm and NOVOFLEX Adapters for SONY A7II and also for the LUMIX GX7 .
The NOVOFLEX Adapters are not cheap , but they are very precise . No junk , as you describe your adapter .
The OM F2 100mm lens is extremely sharp . I have tested that lens for FF but have no results for µFT yet .
BTW , I have have all F2 of these OM lenses from 21mm up to 100mm and only the 24mm shows almost uncorrectable
distortion . All others are just great .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen

I have the ZUIKO OM F2 100mm and NOVOFLEX Adapters for SONY A7II and also for the LUMIX GX7 .
The NOVOFLEX Adapters are not cheap , but they are very precise . No junk , as you describe your adapter .
The OM F2 100mm lens is extremely sharp . I have tested that lens for FF but have no results for µFT yet .
BTW , I have have all F2 of these OM lenses from 21mm up to 100mm and only the 24mm shows almost uncorrectable
distortion . All others are just great .
I'm sick with envy :p

Of the f/2 lenses, I only have the 35mm and the 50mm Macro. I'd love to have the 100mm, but they are only getting more expensive. One that I have great experience with is actually the 28mm f/2.8 that I bought new in box a few years ago. I also own the 21mm f/3.5, but that lens is kind of a waste on m4/3, since it becomes a 30mm eqv. even with the Speed Booster.

Knorp

Mmm, I've got the 50/1.4 and a 55/1.2 ... :)

But no adapter ... :banghead:

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I use my OM 50/1.2 (with Speed Booster), 50/1.8 and 85/2 on Sony cameras.

Olympus pen F lenses fit the m43 better for me.

Godfrey

I used to have OM system 28/2.8 as well as Pen F 40/1.4 and 70/2 that I used on mFT cameras. They all performed very nicely.

But I slowly moved away from using adapted lenses on mFT because I found the results with the FT and mFT native lenses were superior, to my eye.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I used to have OM system 28/2.8 as well as Pen F 40/1.4 and 70/2 that I used on mFT cameras. They all performed very nicely.

But I slowly moved away from using adapted lenses on mFT because I found the results with the FT and mFT native lenses were superior, to my eye.

G
I agree that the native lenses are mostly superior, but there are option among the old ones that are fun to use, and sometimes the results are very good too. And they are more or less free, at least the ones that sit in my cupboard :)

Godfrey

I agree that the native lenses are mostly superior, but there are option among the old ones that are fun to use, and sometimes the results are very good too. And they are more or less free, at least the ones that sit in my cupboard :)
Yes, indeed. That's why I helped start the yahoo group "Adapted lenses on Micro-FourThirds" in 2009. Or was it flickr? I don't know; I can't remember anymore. It's been a long time... ;-)

I still have a cute little Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4 TV lens machined down and super-glued to a Micro-FourThirds adapter that I play with occasionally. It vignettes a lot but produces lovely results occasionally.

Panasonic G1 + Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4
ISO 100 @ f/2 @ 1/1250 sec

Such it is.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's very beautiful, Godfrey.

Your thread might be somewhere down in the cellar. I tried to search for it, since I had a feeling that there was a thread, but couldn't find it

Godfrey

That's very beautiful, Godfrey.

Your thread might be somewhere down in the cellar. I tried to search for it, since I had a feeling that there was a thread, but couldn't find it
Thanks!
I can't find the thread on this site either. Or the group on either Yahoo or Flickr. I'm sure there out there somewhere, but it's been seven years.... :)

The little Cosmicar 12.5mm TV cost me $25 or so, and five minutes on a lathe and a $20 C-mount to mFT adapter gave me a lens I've been using for all this time, once in a while. It's fun.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This lens is a challenge. 1,000mm eqv. and no tripod mount. With the camera on a tripod, any vibrations sends the whole combo into a shake, so hand held is really the only alternative. But it works, and I'm sure it will work even better with a Speed Booster. Tried it as a walk around lens for street photography today. Interesting experience :)

E-M1 with OM Zuiko 500mm f/8 Reflex @ 1/800s hand held

V

Vivek

If by any chance, if you are selling the OM 500/8, let me know. :)

I covet that lens. It is not that easy to find one.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Using this lens, particularly with a 2x crop factor and particularly on moving subjects, is a challenge. I do like the results though, and if "filmic" ever was a relevant expression, it is with the OM Reflex. Don't ask about the cropping of this photo though. I simply wasn't fast enough :)

E-M1 with OM Zuiko 500m f/8 Reflex @ 1/160s handheld

Last edited: