The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 HD is here with more than video changes

cjlacz

That wide lens is only 40% of the weight of the 4/3s version and a bit smaller then the 11-22. Same weight at the 50mm macro. If that's any good it could seal the deal for me.

K

kiloran

Any news on release dates, particularly for the 7-14mm?

Brian Mosley

Pretty good... surprise sensor (I LOOOOOVE the idea of, effectively a square sensor), decent video, external mic socket - sounds like video is supported for all lenses.

The lenses look fantastic - I just hope that Panasonic made IQ a priority with these two.

Kind Regards

Brian

DavidE

We asked at the press conference about the price and shipping date. The price and shipping date will likely be determined in a couple of weeks. I was told the G1 will not drop in price when the GH1 is introduced, so expect it to come in higher than the G1.

The 1080p-24fps and 720p-60fps video looked very good.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I'd guess somewhere in the $1000 range personally. If it costs any higher and I don't know how well it would sell. It looks interesting though IMO.

Rawfa

I've read it in a spanish website (and the norwegian website too) that it should cost more than 1500us$. Wouldn't you just looove if Oly would release their m 4/3rd tomorrow with full HD for the price fo the G1 :) I know, I am that mean.

R

Ranger 9

One spec I haven't sorted out: Is there any limit on video recording time other than the capacity of the card?

Nikon and Canon seem to be limited to fairly short clips, which I've read is because of sensor heating.

Otherwise, this seems like a good announcement to me: It sounds as if Pana has done a great job of implementing video (external mic, silent AF, etc.) BUT it doesn't sound so great that I'm kicking myself for buying the pre-video model! (The max aperture of the 14-140 isn't wide enough for my video needs, so still it looks as if I'll still need to buy a dedicated video cam when I decide to upgrade to HD.)

DavidE

Ranger 9, I was told at the press conference that the GH1 has no time limit (other than the capacity of the card) for the video recording. They mentioned that competing systems limited the recording times because of overheating.

Brian Mosley

Ranger, I suspect the G1HD (whoops, old habits die hard!) GHD1 will live with the 14-140 attached, and that 7-14 will become welded to the front of my G1 :ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
We asked at the press conference about the price and shipping date. The price and shipping date will likely be determined in a couple of weeks. I was told the G1 will not drop in price when the GH1 is introduced, so expect it to come in higher than the G1.

The 1080p-24fps and 720p-60fps video looked very good.
I have heard the 24fps is a problem in Europe due to their use of 25fps frame rates and has caused problems for the Canon 5DMkII.

monza

and slow.. :sleep006:
Well, you can always buy the Nikon 14-24 instead, if you want one stop faster.

The front of the lens is 1.4 times larger in diameter; 1.5x longer, and weighs over three times as much as the 7-14. Add the difference in weight of a full frame Nikon over a G1 while you are at it. :)