The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Correcting a "silent" mode error

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !
Yesterday, in our village, was the funeral of blues legend and world-class harmonica player Toots Thielemans.
I had set up my E-M1 for shooting in the church (silent mode), but in the end, decided I would be better off outside.
Forgot about the silent mode, of course ... :banghead::banghead: and some pictures of guests moving fast across the field of view came out with some strange distortion ...
This is an example ...

Any takes on how to correct this distorsion (in LR or Photoshop) ?

TIA,
Rafael

pegelli

Hi Raf, great you could be there. I only saw parts on television.

One way you could do this is use the crop tool in photoshop, draw the crop around the whole picture and select "perspective" and then pull two corners to upright the moving person (in this case top left corner to the right, bottom right corner to the left, leave both other corners in place).
Only problem will be that you will distort the (non-moving) background equally in the other direction, which might or might not be a problem depending on what you see there.
Also you need to eyeball the new width vs. height ratio of the picture, because I think in this method it will make the people look slightly more skinny then they really are.

Here's a quick and dirty effort on the shot you posted (it probably needs a tad more):

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Thanks, Pieter, your trick works fine !
Did you recognize the artist in the pictures ?
There's many more pictures in my flickr page too ...

C U
Rafael

pegelli

I guess the one in this picture is Will Tura, looked at some others in your album as well and recognize the Prime Minister Michel and several others.
Good shooting, also afterwards when they were celebrating Toot's life in the pub. I'm sure he wanted to have been there as well ;)