The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix GM5 in the UK..??

Bugleone

A few weeks ago I was perusing the camera section of John Lewis (a large department store which is "never undersold") branch in Cambridge UK and happened upon the GM5 which had hitherto been below my radar. There were two versions on display and I spent some time playing with the version with 12-32 zoom...a tiny and nifty little combo that took my instant fancy although I'm not especially excited by th m4/3 'idea'......

A few weeks later and the GM5 is not even listed on the John Lewis website and there seems very few, if any, UK retailers either stock or even recognise the GM5!!

.....Is there about to be a 'GM6'?....does this camera have a fatal flaw?.....Am I missing something here?

Hi Bugleone

I recall reading that Panasonic is discontinuing the GM5 and that a GM7 is about to be released early next year, can't remember where (senior moment). They may be clearing out remaining stock.

V

Vivek

.........does this camera have a fatal flaw?.....Am I missing something here?
The fatal flaw is that you missed buying one. :)

Just googke and you would find great deals on it online.

Hi Bugleone

I recall reading that Panasonic is discontinuing the GM5 and that a GM7 is about to be released early next year, can't remember where (senior moment). They may be clearing out remaining stock.
Hope that comes with a tilt or swivel lcd.

Bugleone

Thanks for reply, however, the "great deals" from google appear to mainly be for 'grey imports' and that includes Amazon.....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I bought from a Japanese eBay dealer for a very nice price. Prices seem to have gone up lately though. I really hope there will be a GM6/7/8/9. It's a great, little camera once one gets used to it, and the Panasonic user interface is among the best.

It doesn't really have any serious flaws except being a bit too small for my hands sometimes, but I've learned to live with that. Areas of improvement would be:

- A swivel LCD, but that would make it thicker.
- A slight bump on the front to make it easier to hold, but here are third party solutions available.
- A 3.5 mm microphone jack.

I wouldn't mind an oversized sensor like the GH1/2 had, particularly since the aspect ration of the LCD is 16:9. That would turn it into a "Micro Xpan" :)

biglouis

Bugleone

If you can afford it I would seriously consider the GX80. I can't believe how small the camera is - I'd like to have one as a second body just because it is so small but I can't quite justify it. I appreciate that side by side with the GM5 it looks like a behemoth but really in the hand compared to the GX8 is it tiny!

Better sensor, better stabilisation, nice tilty screen, better evf.

Maybe that is why the GM5 is kicked into touch?

Just a thought.

Louis

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Bugleone

If you can afford it I would seriously consider the GX80. I can't believe how small the camera is - I'd like to have one as a second body just because it is so small but I can't quite justify it. I appreciate that side by side with the GM5 it looks like a behemoth but really in the hand compared to the GX8 is it tiny!

Better sensor, better stabilisation, nice tilty screen, better evf.

Maybe that is why the GM5 is kicked into touch?

Just a thought.

Louis
The GX80 might even be the GM5 replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.

Bugleone

Louis & Jorgen ....Thank you for your helpful replies, which i value.

The GM5 has apparently been out for nearly 2 years which is why it's being phased out now,....replacement details uncertain as yet but whatever it is will doubtless be quite expensive here in the UK. The attractive price (about £340) appears now to have reflected it's end of life status, although I did not realise that when I found it in John Lewis.

As I mentiioned above, the whole package of small size and cost with reasonable sensor quality and tiny zoom, would have been ideal for my purposes during my many interests....a function currently covered by my canon digicam pocket camera and the sony NEX 3 which makes excellent files/images but is tiresome to deploy and carry and offers no v/f or flash synch. I was toying with the chance to replace two with one to better/nearly as good effect.

GX80 seems to be very expensive for what it is to me at very nearly twice the price......if I'm going to spend £600 then that would mean a Fuji X and getting back into photography seriously again......not sure if I have enough interest and dedicatiion anymore! The 600 smackers would offer much more value for money in several other areas. Then again, I have had several NEX 3 shots hung in exhibitions printed to 20x16 inches.........I have doubts about m4/3 in this regard at least without some tests first.

Thanks to all for replies!

Last edited:

biglouis

If you are looking for a good deal you could always try buying second hand off of ebay.

As long as you exhibit some caution, e.g. look for sellers with positive recent feedback, based in the UK and insist on paying via PayPal so you are protected you are unlikely to be scammed. I've bought a lot of second hand kit this way. I always contact the seller first with a question to establish that they exist and are committed to a sale. Also, there are a lot of camera shops selling second hand cameras via ebay and most offer six month warranties.

BTW, Ffordes up in Scotland are always worth looking at and they do have s/h kit from Panasonic, Fuji etc. I've dealt with them many times and they have always been decent and reliable.

Just a thought.

LouisB