The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus EM1 Mark II coming soon

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I also heard about a high price here in Europe - discussions were around €3000.- which would definitely be far too high!

Elderly

I also heard about a high price here in Europe - discussions were around €3000.- which would definitely be far too high!
Maybe that's the price bundled with the 12-100mm lens????

GAS will eventually overcome me, but for the first time with a micro 4/3rds set-up
I don't feel that I will gain a lot photographically by instantly upgrading (to the Mk11 from my EM1
with the Pro zooms that I have).

So (hopefully :D) I have time to let the dust settle;
wait for the reality of the Leicapan 12-60 etc.
and then decide.

If the rumoured price is true and the 12-60 is not for me
then I may well go over to an XT-2 based system.

Godfrey

I've been using the E-M1 since it came out in 2013 and have no complaints with it at all. It was expensive, as are all top of the line professional grade bodies, but just like its E-1 and E-5 predecessors, it just keeps on going. Yes, I still have and use the E-1 as well, if somewhat infrequently now...

The value of these top of the line cameras comes in service life, not features and price. They are robust and reliable cameras that shouldn't be junked after three years just because a newer model has been introduced.

The Mark II looks like a very nice advance for those who needs more sophisticated sequence capabilities, and other advances in focus automation. That's not me, at present I'm quite content with the E-M1's capabilities. I use it mostly when in-body IS and telephoto work is primary, it's a handier package than my other cameras for those needs.

G

scott kirkpatrick

The Fuji X-Pro2 pulled me away from M43 over the past year (when I am not shooting full frame with Leica gear) because of its really nice user interface. As a result I now have some good Fuji lenses and an order in for an X-T2 to support the longer ones. The E-M1 and E-M5.2 still get events business, with their Pro zooms. (Arrival of a dozen or so heads of states in my immediate vicinity, some of them landing their helicopters next door to my office means that the reportorial gear will come out this weekend for sure.) To me it seems that the features added to the M-1 to make it an M-1.2 are aimed at 4K video and sports shooters. I'm intrigued, but not compelled to be the first on my block.

I enjoy fooling around with the 8-shot 64 MPx superresolution features of the m5.2, which are apparently being transferred in an improved version to the M1.2, but there is a dirty little secret of the 8-shot scheme. The extra pixels overlap with the ones you already have, and the de-Bayering that gives rise to the 2x2 microcell of "new" pixels made up from the 8 shots draws information from a spread over several of the "old" pixels. The result is that you start with a very smeared image, which requires careful sharpening to do even as well as the 40 MPx jpegs that are provided. In fact I often have gotten just as good a result from the first of the 8 images (the .ORI file) as I do from the 8-shot .ORF after quite a bit of effort. But the Pro zoom lenses keep me somewhat loyal.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It are mainly the Pro zoom lenses that are keeping me in Olympus territory, followed by the insane IBIS.

On the other side the XT2 turned out to be SO GOOD, especially also in the AF department, that I am currently mainly using the Fuji over the EM1.

Will definitely wait a bit before I jump on the Em1m2 bandwagon!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Had the chance to play with the EM1.2 today while attending an Olympus workshop ... I must say I am impressed by everything!

Totally different camera as the EM1.1, much faster and responsive, superb stills and video quality and much better ergonomics than the EM1.1.

If this camera would have been available 6-9 months earlier, I would have never bought into the Fuji X system again ...

Starting thinking .....

Peter

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Had the chance to play with the EM1.2 today while attending an Olympus workshop ... I must say I am impressed by everything!

Totally different camera as the EM1.1, much faster and responsive, superb stills and video quality and much better ergonomics than the EM1.1.

If I this camera would have been available 6-9 months earlier, I would have never bought into the Fuji X system again ...

Starting thinking .....

Peter

Thanks Peter. I agree the E-M1.2 is a superb camera IMHO, definitely a large step up over E-M1, 5, 5.2. The fast autofocus is a delight to use. :grin:
Unfortunately, some of the E-M1.2's features are reserved for Oly lenses only, or even a subset thereof.
With the exception of the Nocticron 42.5/1.2, most of my other m43 lenses are from Oly, a couple cheap ones from Sigma.
If I had more PL lenses the GH5 would be an interesting addition.

As I also have Sony FF and APS-C gear I don't plan to go the Fuji APS-C route although it seems to deliver there.
The Fuji GFX introduction is very tempting and I will observe how that develops with great interest.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter. I agree the E-M1.2 is a superb camera IMHO, definitely a large step up over E-M1, 5, 5.2. The fast autofocus is a delight to use. :grin:
Unfortunately, some of the E-M1.2's features are reserved for Oly lenses only, or even a subset thereof.
With the exception of the Nocticron 42.5/1.2, most of my other m43 lenses are from Oly, a couple cheap ones from Sigma.
If I had more PL lenses the GH5 would be an interesting addition.

As I also have Sony FF and APS-C gear I don't plan to go the Fuji APS-C route although it seems to deliver there.
The Fuji GFX introduction is very tempting and I will observe how that develops with great interest.
I meanwhile fully agree that the EM1.2 is a huge step upwards and for one who has shot EM1.1 almost exclusively over the past 3 years (this was my workhorse camera) the EM1.2 just feels as such a great logical extension for me. I so far have only Oly lenses and after today I know I definitely want the 1.2/25 that pairs absolutely perfect with the EM1.2. And maybe also the new 12-100 as my new standard lens to go. I am even considering the 4/300 but maybe later (it is pretty expensive :))

What was one of the biggest eye openers for me was the Pro-Capture mode as this is something very helpful for MANY shooting situations - one has just get used to this idea and then suddenly it opens up numerous possibilities.

I also was extremely pleased by the files coming out of this machine, I find them much improved compared to the output of the EM1.1. Much finer rendering and great DR, etc... And finally the new batteries are such a relief with their higher capacity!

I do love my Fuji gear, and I will keep it especially for wildlife at least till Oly brings an equivalent to the great Fujinon 100-400, maybe a 4/75-300 - just dreaming and hoping. If that would happen I would almost exclusively get fully back into m43. Even with the option of a GH5 and some PanaLeica glass.

Interesting news the Oly rep. told us today - we should expect some more fast primes (1.2) from Oly in the near future - that really is extremely exciting.

Maybe finally my Nikon FF stuff has to go ... :grin:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter. Fast Oly primes would be a very welcome addition indeed!
I use ProCapture a lot for birds to capture in flight whose reaction time is much shorter than mine. :thumbs:
The Oly 300/4 Pro is indeed a jewel. (Pun intended) :LOL:

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting news the Oly rep. told us today - we should expect some more fast primes (1.2) from Oly in the near future - that really is extremely exciting.

Maybe finally my Nikon FF stuff has to go ... :grin:
I'd expect them to come up with a new version of the 40-150mm f/2.8 as well, with in-lens IS. Although I'm not a big fan of that lens, dual IS would increase the usability a lot.

As for image quality improvement, it's very interesting to compare the new cameras with those that were launched only three years ago. The improvements are really substantial, and the advantages of full frame will be relevant to an increasingly small group of photographers. Will I buy an E-M1 II? Maybe in a year or two, when there are second hand copies available :)