The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G80 – the half price alternative

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At $899, the G80 is probably around half the price of what the E-M1 II and the GH5 will be when they arrive. Still, it's a great alternative for cost, weight and space conscious photovideographers like myself, offering more or less 90% of what its bigger siblings boast, maybe 99% for someone like this shooter:

- 5 axis IBIS
- 4K video (only 100 Mbps though)
- Solid metal construction
- Vertical grip
- Weather sealing
- 3.5mm microphone jack
- 0.74x viewfinder
- Fully articulated LCD
- (Great) Panasonic ergonomics
- 9fps
- 45 frames RAW buffer

Minuses:
- Smaller battery than the GH5
- Only 1/4000s (1/16000s electronic)
- Just one SD card slot

If I'm going to buy another camera within the next 12 months, this will probably be it. The big ones are out of my reach at the moment, and I'm not sure that I need them. I do have the original E-M1 after all.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Yeah I've been debating between Micro 4/3, Fuji, and Sony A6300 for my wife come Christmas time. It really may come down to who has the best deals around the holidays.

Bugleone

I've wondered about these too,.....my wife has a G5 which was ONE THIRD of the EM 1 price when she bought it a year and a half back. Do they 'hamper' the image quality of these cheaper range models since they all seem to have the same sensor? The only downside is that they are massively complicated and frequently 'mess up' when you are in the midst of a good shot by suddenly launching menus that you simply don't need....with cameras 'less is more' and you only need it to do it's basics well, WHEN you need it too! A bit like firearms and motor vehicles.....

...Also, the 'fake dslr' design is a touch tiresome (with long blackout on G5 when shutter is pressed to apparently synthesize moving mirror).......m4/3 is available in truly tiny cameras now that are unobtrusive

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've wondered about these too,.....my wife has a G5 which was ONE THIRD of the EM 1 price when she bought it a year and a half back. Do they 'hamper' the image quality of these cheaper range models since they all seem to have the same sensor? The only downside is that they are massively complicated and frequently 'mess up' when you are in the midst of a good shot by suddenly launching menus that you simply don't need....with cameras 'less is more' and you only need it to do it's basics well, WHEN you need it too! A bit like firearms and motor vehicles.....

...Also, the 'fake dslr' design is a touch tiresome (with long blackout on G5 when shutter is pressed to apparently synthesize moving mirror).......m4/3 is available in truly tiny cameras now that are unobtrusive
I've looked through some preview videos of the E-M1, and clearly it's a much superior camera in every way. But... how much does one need? Probably smart to stay on the fence for a few months and see how things turn out :)

iiiNelson

I'm probably one of those "weirdos" that always preferred the images from the Panasonic bodies to the Olympus ones. I've become to come around to where the Olympus look isn't objectionable since the first EM5 was released but even still I prefer the Panasonic look overall.

*I don't shoot Jpegs so the Olympus Jpegs I hear so much about are lost on me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm probably one of those "weirdos" that always preferred the images from the Panasonic bodies to the Olympus ones. I've become to come around to where the Olympus look isn't objectionable since the first EM5 was released but even still I prefer the Panasonic look overall.

*I don't shoot Jpegs so the Olympus Jpegs I hear so much about are lost on me.
I agree to that, and I've found the Panasonic RAW files to take more abuse without falling apart.

biglouis

There is one thing the GH5 will have which I must admit is attractive and that is 6K burst at 18mpx.

The current 4K burst at 8mpx is a tad small but 18mpx - why wouldn't you use it?

I'm thinking of sports and wildlife - in my case birding.

Having said that, it looks like they have updated the firmware on the GX80 to compare to the G80 and the size of that little camera is very attractive indeed.

Life is full of choices, isn't it?

LouisB