The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 manual focus operation

cap'n bill

I bought the G1 mainly so that I could use a variety of lenses and generally I am quite happy. I am being driven slightly mad(der) by the inconvenient two button switch to zoom for focussing. With Oly ZD lenses manual focus is a delight to use because the G1 senses the focus ring movement but with anything else I find I am forever pulling up the menu or the ISO change accidentally when I feel for the left arrow/central button sequence.

I think it would be great if we could have a single button press for manual focus zoom. Personally I would happily see the Film mode (which is a nice feature but not a top level control as it's not something which you change from shot to shot) relegated to a menu item and that button used as a manual focus zoom command button. Failing that anything that gives a single, immediately accesible single press function would do.

I'd be interested in hearing other views and if there is any concensus perhaps we could lobby Panasonic for a firmware change.

Jonas

I can be the third then.
It has been discussed earlier and also at other places. I wonder how it is done on the new movie version?

fortynine

I discovered a "trick" focusing method without using the enlarged manual assist. It came about when I was shooting 35mm 1.2 in dim light and focusing on people.

The EVF exhibits slight " pixellating ?" when focused on a diagonal line. U can see slight jaggedness on the line when it comes into focus. It was accurate enough at f1.2. I imagine f2, f2.8 would be better

deepdiver

I discovered a "trick" focusing method without using the enlarged manual assist. It came about when I was shooting 35mm 1.2 in dim light and focusing on people.

The EVF exhibits slight " pixellating ?" when focused on a diagonal line. U can see slight jaggedness on the line when it comes into focus. It was accurate enough at f1.2. I imagine f2, f2.8 would be better
Yes, U are right Fortynine!
I also using that technique :D