The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it worth €1,999?

V

Vivek

I just read Robin Wong's review. The man is an Olympus employee, so not totally unbiased. The advantage with that though, is that he knows how to get the most out of the camera. He's also a skilled photographer, which is more than what can be said about most reviewers out there in the world wide internet.

I was particularly impressed with his hand-held 5 second night shots and the ultra sharp girlie portraits taken with the 12-100mm wide open (watch the crops).

Forget what I've said about not needing this camera and going back to Panasonic. This is pretty astonishing stuff by Olympus. I might even get used to the ergonomics.... maybe :rolleyes:

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/11/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review.html#more
His best push ever, I think. :)

f6cvalkyrie

Re: Robin Wong review is a must-read!

His delight with the camera is contagious. Read it!

scott
I would rather say : do not read it ... unless your wallet cq credit card are ready ...
I for one will wait a little until the prices go down ...
My "classic" E-M1 is still up to the task !

C U
Rafael

k-hawinkler

Robin Wong prefaces all his posts with this, quote:

"IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. I am an Olympus Malaysia employee.
2. This is a user experience based review, based on my personal opinion which can be subjective.
3. All images were shot in RAW and converted directly to JPEG (High Quality) via Olympus Viewer 3
4. General camera settings, Noise Filter = OFF, Contrast/Saturation/sharpness = 0, White Balance = Auto (with an option maintain warm color = OFF), Gradation = Normal
5. Minimal post-processing applied to the images, with slight brightness/contrast balance tweak. All images were almost as good as straight out of camera, with minimal cropping for better presentation."

Generally I find his posts to be quite objective and informative. YMMV. :grin:

biglouis

Shouty review about the price and why it is justified.

He makes a good point, imho. I am not a professional - in that I do not earn my living by photography alone - but I do aim to create professional photographs and I do enjoy some success at doing it.

I won't buy a EM1-MkII until I see one in the flesh and play with it. But there is no other mirror less camera system in my price range I would buy.

(I say in my price range because if I could afford it I would already have an X1D on order :))

My Take On The E-M1 Mk II Price Uproar | M4/3 Guide

V

Vivek

Many of the comments dispute that "review" (is it really a review?).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Seems to be really a hell of a performer and quite a step upwards from the mark1.

Kudos Olympus!

drofnad

However, Panasonic must be considering what to do with the GX8.

LouisB
I'm puzzled, but unless I've missed it --despite L:shocked:KING--, the GX8 isn't listed in the B&H Photo just-mailed catalogue!? (Although it was in the prior one.)

To Godfrey's
Whenever I see questions like this, what I interpret them to mean is "I want one, but I don't want to spend the money. Therefore, I must belittle the item on the basis of price because everyone else will agree that it's expensive and that makes me feel good."
while there can be some aroma of spilled sour grape juice (nothing to cry about), a less pejorative take would be "given what is offered in other like devices, this seems pricey". Then again, it might all be a sort of front to imply the quality due that price and then have Great Savings as the season for getting --er, giving (to oneself)-- draws nigh?!

YMMV,
-d.

ps : Or is it simply nearly consistent pricing :: still $1 per megapixel?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me, having shot Olympus m43 since more than 5 years now and also never could get friends with any of the Panasonic m43 incarnations, the EM1.2 is the pinnacle of the whole m43 evolution, I actually think it is more a revolution of the whole camera industry in 2016/2017. Well, the GH5 seems to come close .... but at the same price.

Translates to: SURE, THE EM1.2 IS WORTH EVERY PENNY FOR ME!!! :cool:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter, I agree, considering in particular the sizable number of quality 43 and m43 lenses I have acquired since the E-M5.1 first came to market.

I am even thinking about getting a second E-M1.2 although I got an orange card error message today displayed from my E-M1.2 when shooting video on a tripod in bright sunshine. My Mac wouldn't even mount the Lexar 2000x 64GB memory card. But using Lexar's Image Recovery 5 software I could recover lots of even older images and reformat the card. The Mac even then wouldn't mount the memory card, but after formatting in the camera will.

Last summer I had similar video incidents with my E-M5.2 that completely ruined 2 brand new Lexar 1000x memory cards so that they cannot even be formatted in camera or with my Mac.

I hope against hope that heat buildup is not the cause for these video related problems. I typically let the video run to the limit of around 28 to 29 minutes. But it certainly looks like that might be the cause. During the last few days when It was cooler and I kept the camera out of direct sunlight I didn't have this problem.

For the record, I had formatted this particular memory card before with the Lexar software to avoid intermittent problems when shooting stills. After that I have been able to shoot 18 fps for many continuous seconds without problems on the E-M1.2. Currently my E-M1.2 is on firmware version 1.1.

scott kirkpatrick

I can't see why not, especially when now $200 discounts or rebates are starting to appear.

But a question for the M43 video people? I found managing video on the M5.2 frustrating, because of the tricky way that you control aperture and ISO during shooting. Has that gotten simpler with the M1.2?

scott

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter, I agree, considering in particular the sizable number of quality 43 and m43 lenses I have acquired since the E-M5.1 first came to market.

I am even thinking about getting a second E-M1.2 although I got an orange card error message today displayed from my E-M1.2 when shooting video on a tripod in bright sunshine. My Mac wouldn't even mount the Lexar 2000x 64GB memory card. But using Lexar's Image Recovery 5 software I could recover lots of even older images and reformat the card. The Mac even then wouldn't mount the memory card, but after formatting in the camera will.

Last summer I had similar video incidents with my E-M5.2 that completely ruined 2 brand new Lexar 1000x memory cards so that they cannot even be formatted in camera or with my Mac.

I hope against hope that heat buildup is not the cause for these video related problems. I typically let the video run to the limit of around 28 to 29 minutes. But it certainly looks like that might be the cause. During the last few days when It was cooler and I kept the camera out of direct sunlight I didn't have this problem.

For the record, I had formatted this particular memory card before with the Lexar software to avoid intermittent problems when shooting stills. After that I have been able to shoot 18 fps for many continuous seconds without problems on the E-M1.2. Currently my E-M1.2 is on firmware version 1.1.

I now think over heating may not be the issue.
Both my cards Lexar 2000x and 1000x seem to work fine so far in the slower slot 2.
However, both caused the orange "Card Error" message in the camera.
While I could still get the 2000x card to format successfully, no such luck with the 1000x card.
So, there must be either something wrong with the camera/fast slot or the cards. :banghead:
I am hoping for the latter.:facesmack:

Knorp

This holiday weekend in the UK there is effectively a £300 discount .....................

....................... so I've succumbed to a 'bargain' :rolleyes: :grin:.

Congrats, Ian !
And happy shooting ... :)

Kind regards.

Elderly

Thank you Bart, but what you should have wished me is 'Happy setting it up' :grin:;).

After agonizing "Should I shouldn't I" and full of doubts yesterday afternoon after I spotted the promotion,
I dashed down to the shop, part exchanged my EM1 and did the deal :facesmack:.

This morning I'm really quite excited by it :thumbup:.
So many improvements over the old version with just one apparent downside (so far) -
On my Mk1, I had the single autofocus box set to the smallest size,
but on the Mk2 the default box is larger and I can't seem to make it smaller :banghead:.

k-hawinkler

Thank you Bart, but what you should have wished me is 'Happy setting it up' :grin:;).

After agonizing "Should I shouldn't I" and full of doubts yesterday afternoon after I spotted the promotion,
I dashed down to the shop, part exchanged my EM1 and did the deal :facesmack:.

This morning I'm really quite excited by it :thumbup:.
So many improvements over the old version with just one apparent downside (so far) -
On my Mk1, I had the single autofocus box set to the smallest size,
but on the Mk2 the default box is larger and I can't seem to make it smaller :banghead:.
Congratulations Ian on a great camera.
The Mark II is so much more fun than the E-M1.

This is how you control the single autofocus box size.
Assign to one button magnification {toggle).
Once in magnification you can dial between 1x and 14x, or something like it.
Pick the maximum magnification.
Then toggle out of magnification altogether.
Voila, you have now a smaller autofocus box.
It retains its size even when not in magnification.
Problem solved. :grin:

BTW the problems I had described above with the Mark II of my cameras were do to a bug in the memory cards that Lexar fixed with REV B.