The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any advice about a metabones adapter and my nikon lenses?

momo

Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x...seeing it for about 500 euros, maybe 560 with shipping and tax here in france...

for use with my older nikon ai-s lenses, 28, 105, 135, and 200mm...

I also have several g lenses, 24, 50, and 85mm...

I read the adapter would work with the older ai-s lenses. Not sure if it might also work with some of the af-d lenses I have.

Anyone have experience with this adapter and the nikon lenses mentioned?

I'd be using this on a m5ll body. I'm new to m4/3's. Have the oly 25 and 45 f1.8 lenses.

...was thinking to buy the oly 75mm or a decent zoom (14-150mm f4-5.6), but started thinking i have all this nikon glass that might be usable with adapter...what do you think?

thanks...

M

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x...seeing it for about 500 euros, maybe 560 with shipping and tax here in france...

for use with my older nikon ai-s lenses, 28, 105, 135, and 200mm...

I also have several g lenses, 24, 50, and 85mm...

I read the adapter would work with the older ai-s lenses. Not sure if it might also work with some of the af-d lenses I have.

Anyone have experience with this adapter and the nikon lenses mentioned?

I'd be using this on a m5ll body. I'm new to m4/3's. Have the oly 25 and 45 f1.8 lenses.

...was thinking to buy the oly 75mm or a decent zoom (14-150mm f4-5.6), but started thinking i have all this nikon glass that might be usable with adapter...what do you think?

thanks...

M
It's a good idea, and as far as I know, you can use any F-mount lens with this adapter, regardless of age. The exceptions would be the new lenses with electronic aperture.

The Zuiko 75mm is of course an even better idea :)

V

Vivek

I would highly recommend that you buy/use native mount lenses and avoid Nikon lenses with or without a speed booster. The native lenses will trump the old ones anytime and everytime.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would highly recommend that you buy/use native mount lenses and avoid Nikon lenses with or without a speed booster. The native lenses will trump the old ones anytime and everytime.
While I agree with you as a general rule, it's always fun to fool around with old favourites on an alien camera, although the results may vary. In this case, he seems to own a whole bunch of old Nikkors, which makes the exercise relatively cheap.

momo

It is profitable to dump the old glass now than later. ;)
Not going to happen. I use the old ai-s lenses on a d700 with very good results. In fact I tend to prefer the look/feel of images from the ai-s lenses and the af-d lenses more than the recent g lenses.

momo

While I agree with you as a general rule, it's always fun to fool around with old favourites on an alien camera, although the results may vary. In this case, he seems to own a whole bunch of old Nikkors, which makes the exercise relatively cheap.
thanks Jorgen for you input...still going through some of the options...

May decide on a more simple and cheaper adapter. I am kinda liking what i see from the oly native lenses. I mean the 75mm produces some fine looking images.

Drawn to try the pro zooms but find them big and heavy. Not why I decided to try the M5.

It's early days. I'm still looking around for what i think might help me best. For example today I found a review on a panasonic 35-100 3.5-5.6 or something like that. Seems small, light. Might be good for me.

Still. Until now I have used my nikon body with primes and a ricoh GR V. Zooms are kinda foreign to me.

Right now using the Oly for street and sometimes abstract work. But have it a short time and just getting familiar with the controls and adjustments.

M

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's early days. I'm still looking around for what i think might help me best. For example today I found a review on a panasonic 35-100 3.5-5.6 or something like that. Seems small, light. Might be good for me.

M
The 35-100mm f/4-5.6 is indeed a great lens and part of my regular setup with the GM5:

There are some images taken with the 35-100 at the GM5 thread I believe. Sharp, light, compact.
As soon as monies allow, I'll add the Zuiko 75mm to this lineup. That lens is in a class by itself. Had it, sold it, regret it.

V

Vivek

Not going to happen. I use the old ai-s lenses on a d700 with very good results. In fact I tend to prefer the look/feel of images from the ai-s lenses and the af-d lenses more than the recent g lenses.
The look and feel you get with the D700 - not going to happen with the m43 and SB.

Hence my recommendation.

You are better off mounting them on a Sony E mount FF camera for use.

teeraash

I have metabone speedbooster ultra Contax c/y to m43 and I love to use it so much with my Contax/Yashica 28/2, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4. The adaptor together with 2-4stops effective ibis camera is more than enough to negate intrinsic higher iso noise of m43 vs any FF for static subjects. It also provides dof control more than I need. But the rendering of all lenses will change some what as you will have sharper/higher contrast and acuity in the center area of images but less sharp and probably lower contrast in the peripheral areas. These effects can accentuate images in both positive or negative ways. For example it can bring out your main subjects from confusing backgrounds. But you will have to be more careful if you want sharp image from far left to far right. All in all it gives you more options, more possibilities to play with. For me, it adds three f1 lenses and one f1.4 lens to my arsenal for less than 500$.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have metabone speedbooster ultra Contax c/y to m43 and I love to use it so much with my Contax/Yashica 28/2, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4. The adaptor together with 2-4stops effective ibis camera is more than enough to negate intrinsic higher iso noise of m43 vs any FF for static subjects. It also provides dof control more than I need. But the rendering of all lenses will change some what as you will have sharper/higher contrast and acuity in the center area of images but less sharp and probably lower contrast in the peripheral areas. These effects can accentuate images in both positive or negative ways. For example it can bring out your main subjects from confusing backgrounds. But you will have to be more careful if you want sharp image from far left to far right. All in all it gives you more options, more possibilities to play with. For me, it adds three f1 lenses and one f1.4 lens to my arsenal for less than 500$.
That was a very interesting read, Teera, and may speed up my plan to buy a Speed Booster for OM. I have an extensive range of OM lenses (21/3.5, 28/2.8, 35/2.0, 50/1.8, 50.1,4, 50/2.0 macro, 100/2.8 and 200/5.0), and some of them are real gems that I have great experience with when using them with a "normal" adapter.