The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1, B+W, Cine Lenses, & 1 Color Pic

monza

As far as I know, the Elgeet provides a circular image.

With regards to the Lytar, the focus ring is so close to the c-mount adapter when mounted, it is very difficult to focus...I found it to be essentially unusable. A stiff focus ring would make it even worse...

monza

The Tevidon is a nice fast lens, 16:9 coverage, vignettes in 4:3 format. There are posts in this forum using this lens.

Photomorgana

Egleet 13mm fits with no problem. The problem is it doesnt cover the frame.

I have tried Angenieux 75mm f2.5 today and really liked it. It produces wonderful images and cover the sensor completely at all ratios. It also produces nice bokeh. Another thing I like about that lens is that it has a min focusing distance of appr 95mm which is pretty. Kern macro 75mm lens focuses down to 65mm, but it cost like $600.

I will try to post some samples soon.

Photomorgana

In my Previous Post when I talked about min focusing distance I did mean cm not mm of course.

Here is some shots I took with Angenieux 75mm f2.5

E

emory

With regards to the Lytar, the focus ring is so close to the c-mount adapter when mounted, it is very difficult to focus...I found it to be essentially unusable. A stiff focus ring would make it even worse...
Which c-mount adapter do you use? Which can you recommend that would perhaps allow for better clearance and rotating the lens so that the focussing scale is always up?

monza

Which c-mount adapter do you use? Which can you recommend that would perhaps allow for better clearance and rotating the lens so that the focussing scale is always up?
I don't have the Lytar anymore so I can't look at the lens (I sent it back due to the lens being fogged) but many of the cine lenses have c-mounts that can be rotated. Those lenses that don't have this, can be used with the MS Optical adapter which is designed specifically to allow lens rotation so the focus scale is up.

I tried the Lytar on the Hawk adapter and the MS Optical adapter...the focus ring is essentially recessed into the adapter. Very difficult to get a grip. :(

Photomorgana

The Angenieux looks very good! How does it handle on the G1, is it heavy?
It handles like a dream :)
Its just a bit heavier that summicron 40mm, so my guess will be around 150 gr.
The focusing ring is far away from adapter, so no problem there.

Overall I like the results. Its kinda looks like my Angenieux 135mm f2.5 in Exakta mount, same image characteristics. DR is good too, auto contrast in pp and image is done, plus you can add some sharpening, but the files are nice. Those were shot in low lighting conditions, and some were set to ISO800. Its a keeper. I was a few on Ebay for under 300 is a good deal.

E

emory

I tried the Lytar on the Hawk adapter and the MS Optical adapter...the focus ring is essentially recessed into the adapter. Very difficult to get a grip. :(
Thanks, Monza. I have a 3" focussing lever for the Lytar that clamps around the focus ring (a necessity with the Bolex, especially with other lenses on the turret), but I suppose it wouldn't clear the recessed G-1 adapters either. A real shame, because the 16mm films I shot with the Lytar in High School 40 years ago were quite sharp, even when projected on a very large screen.

Thanks again for your help.

emory

E

emory

Wide Angle Cine Lenses for Video with GH-1?

Greetings all (first post here..)

I'm here to help with the lens data base. Here's my current collection (I'll update the info as I gather it, some will be repeats):

Schneider 10mm/F1.8 (very sharp)
machining: no
coverage: no

Cosmicar 12.5/F1.4
machining: yes
coverage: no

Schneider 16mm/F1.4 (on it's way)
machining: I don't think so
coverage: 18mm (so I've read)

Angenieux 25mm/F0.95
machining:no
coverage: almost 16:9

Soligor 25mm/F0.95
coverage: almost 16:9

Schneider 50mm/F2 (crazy sharp)
coverage: yes

I think we should try to pin down the image circle on these lenses because I do find the non coverage lenses 'useful' albeit I'm coming at this from a timelapse/cinematic perspective (and thinking ahead to the GH1) for the following purposes (using peters 25/1.5 example):
This is how I've used the Schneider 10/1.8 with awesome results

This is how I see the GH1 with c-mounts being very interesting for 720p production...
I think milapse has raised an interesting point here.

Let's face it:

- Lenses for 16mm movie cameras were designed to cover the 16mm movie format, not the 4/3 format.

- The image circle of many cine lenses (particularly wide angles) is too small for the 4/3 format. Results: Vignetting, smearing, etc.

BUT:

If we were to CROP the image as in milapse's 720p example and utilize not the full resolution (4000 x 3000) of the sensor, but just the 1280 x 720 required for video, could we obtain a full wide angle video image (albeit with lower resolution)?

This might be a premature question because the GH-1 was just announced. And it might also be a downright stupid question. But I hope there's some food for thought here. Shooting true wide angle videos with, say, a 10mm Switar would be fantastic, wouldn't it? -- or maybe too good to be true.

Any ideas from the experts?

M

milapse

Re: Wide Angle Cine Lenses for Video with GH-1?

If we were to CROP the image as in milapse's 720p example and utilize not the full resolution (4000 x 3000) of the sensor, but just the 1280 x 720 required for video, could we obtain a full wide angle video image (albeit with lower resolution)?
FYI - For photographic purposes the minimum image circle you'll see from a 16mm film lens will be ~14mm this equates to just under 6 MP (3000x2000) on a 4/3. As sharp as these lenses can be (remember pro 16mm lenses were designed to resolve higher than 35mm lenses!) the lost pixels are completely negated by the quality of the lens.

This might be a premature question because the GH-1 was just announced. And it might also be a downright stupid question. But I hope there's some food for thought here. Shooting true wide angle videos with, say, a 10mm Switar would be fantastic, wouldn't it? -- or maybe too good to be true.
Yep, we shall see... That's what I anticipate though. *crosses fingers*

M

milapse

A mundane question: which c-mount to micro 4/3 adapters are people using?
At the moment Wolfgang Rabe (German) is making one and a fellow out of Taiwan who goes by 'hawkpeng'. More are arriving on the market as I type. Check feebay

monza

Is Rabe selling his adapter separately or only with lenses?

The other three are Hawk's and MS Optical and jinfinance (ebay). The MS Optical has a feature whereby the lens can be rotated so the focus scale is up, very nifty.

monza

It handles like a dream :)
Its just a bit heavier that summicron 40mm, so my guess will be around 150 gr.
The focusing ring is far away from adapter, so no problem there.
I got one of the 75/2.5s in the mail today. It's a great lens! Very small, light, perfect fit for the G1. I'll take a photo of it on the camera.

EDIT: This does a good enough job indicating relative size.

Last edited:
M

milapse

I've made a chart to help understand the relationship between the 'standard 16', 'super 16 and 4/3" sizes. Then overlaid image circles between 14mm and 22mm. This will help lens testers to determine where their lens falls in the image circle category: