The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly 25/1.2 pro

biglouis

I've owned the PL 25/1.4 twice. I bought it again to do my son's wedding. I used my Leica Q for wider environmental shots and my GX8+PL 25/1.4 for closer portrait type stuff. Worked out very well.

If I did not already have a PL 25/1.4 then the Oly would be attractive but there is a very large price difference and (of course) weight/form factor difference. The PL 25/1.4 is ridiculously light in weight.

Just my two cents

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I use fast lenses as much as I can with aperture wide open, this for me makes most sense after paying the extra money for the faster lens.

I specifically like to use 1.2 or 1.0 types mostly for portraiture and even if I cannot nail exact focus in some shots the keepers reward me for that pain with beautiful dreamy bokeh.

If I want sharp form front to background not so fast WA stopped down is the way to go.

With m43 the 1.2/25 Oly is really an outstanding design as is the PanaLeica 42.5. Very speciality lenses but if you like the results absolutely worth their money and additional effort during shooting.

This at least works for me.

k-hawinkler

I agree, the PL 42.5/1.2 certainly fits the purpose! :)
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Oly 25/1.2. :(

Photon42

I've owned the PL 25/1.4 twice. I bought it again to do my son's wedding. I used my Leica Q for wider environmental shots and my GX8+PL 25/1.4 for closer portrait type stuff. Worked out very well.

If I did not already have a PL 25/1.4 then the Oly would be attractive but there is a very large price difference and (of course) weight/form factor difference. The PL 25/1.4 is ridiculously light in weight.

Just my two cents

LouisB
This is a good setup. I also like the combo Q + E-M1 with the PL 1.4/25 and Olympus 1.8/75. I recently acquired a Mitakon Speedmaster 0.95/25mm, which is unbelievably compact and moderately priced. Manual focus only, so I think I keep the PL 25 and the Speedmaster. Both are too good to sell.

raist3d

I have a friend that has this lens and I have looked at many pics.

This is the best 25mm focal m43rds has today (and most likely for the foreseeable long future). It's really a true and through Olympus old 4/3rds system quality lens.

The PL F1.4 is pretty great too, more so at the price and size. So it really depends what you want and what you are willing to carry/what your budget is.

The lens that really surprised me I am using a lot now is the Panasonic 42.5mm F1.7 prime, which in my opinion beats the Olympus 45mm F1.8. My Olympus was never sharp wide open, though it cuts at F3.2 The Panasonic is pretty sharp from the get go, and adds 2-3 stops of OIS to my GM5.

- Ricardo

marlof

On one of Amin's sites there's a yearly challenge called Single in January. One camera, one lens, one picture a day. This year I picked the EM1 (mk1) using this lens. I will only use SOOC jpeg's. Day 01 was just posted.

SIJ 2017 - Day 01 by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The best argument I've seen for the little PL 25mm so far :)
If I decide to stay in m43 land I will most definitely change sides to Panasonic (GH5) and some of the great PanaLeica lenses. And then the Noctiron would be definitely my fast lens of choice :cool:

Knorp

The best argument I've seen for the little PL 25mm so far :)
Yup, I'm actually puzzled as everyone and everything shouts PL 25/1.4 being the best option.
You know what ? I'll just hang on a bit longer and see if there's a mark II coming in the near future.

Knorp

Thanks Bart. That seems to be a pretty disappointing review.
Both you and I have an amazing Nocticron 42.5/1.2 lens.
I wonder if the PL 25/1.4 is a better choice than the Oly 25/1.2?

IIRC after the last firmware update the Nocticron should be capable of dual IS, say on a GH5, no?
I doubt it if Oly and Panny will ever be fully compatible IRT IS, but that's not my major complaint.
It's the lens correction that is handled differently too.
My PL lenses work like a charm on my GX8, but less so on the E-M1 where I have to manually correct lens distortion.

The Nocticron should be compatible with at least DualIS.1, see: Compatibility with interchangeable lens (Dual I.S. / Dual I.S.2)

marlof

Dunno. I like the character of the PL 25 1.4, but I don't like the noise its aperture blades make on my Olympus cameras (with the flickr reduction off, at least I could kill the constant rattesnaking, but still the aperture blades can be loud) and I always wanted a fast weather sealed lens. So far, the 25 1.2 suits me fine.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
These compatibility issues between Panasonic and Olympus are really annoying, up to the fact that I meanwhile am using Fuji much more - one system all out of one hand!

But I also think Pana and Oly will not solve these compatibility issues in the future, why should they?