The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly 25/1.2 pro

Godfrey

Review: Olympus 25mm f1.2 PRO | The Phoblographer

How will it stack up to the PL 42,5/1.2 ?

:watch:
Given that it's a completely different focal length, to me more important would be how it performs compared to the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95.

It is good to see Olympus stepping into the ultra-high-speed lens arena too.

G

Knorp

Given that it's a completely different focal length, to me more important would be how it performs compared to the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95.

G
Well, you've got a point of course, but the PL 25/1.4 is around quite some time and the Voigt lacks AF.
I'll be taking my PL 42,5/1.2 to a museum tomorrow. Taking photographs ... :rolleyes:

Godfrey

Well, you've got a point of course, but the PL 25/1.4 is around quite some time and the Voigt lacks AF.
I'll be taking my PL 42,5/1.2 to a museum tomorrow. Taking photographs ... :rolleyes:
The PL 42.5/1.2 has been around for quite a while too. I have no idea why being around a while would make comparison of three same focal length lenses less interesting than comparing two widely different focal length lenses, regardless that one of them is MF only or not...? That makes no sense to me.

But, eh? Enjoy your outing to the museum. I've got to get up to the city for another SFMOMA visit soon... ;)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

G
The obvious alternative is the PL 25mm, and any rational photographer would choose the PL, considering its much lower price, weight and size. We're not talking small differences here. Luckily for Olympus, there aren't many rational photographers around ;)

When it comes to the PL 42.5mm, that's an obvious part of the quartet consisting of the PL 12/1.4 - Zuiko 25/1.2 - PL 42.5/1.2 - Zuiko 75/1.8, a quartet where all the members play a Stradivarius. Maybe something to aim for :)

Godfrey

The obvious alternative is the PL 25mm, and any rational photographer would choose the PL, considering its much lower price, weight and size. We're not talking small differences here. Luckily for Olympus, there aren't many rational photographers around ;)

When it comes to the PL 42.5mm, that's an obvious part of the quartet consisting of the PL 12/1.4 - Zuiko 25/1.2 - PL 42.5/1.2 - Zuiko 75/1.8, a quartet where all the members play a Stradivarius. Maybe something to aim for :)
Obvious unless you're shooting video, primarily, where the Voigtländer's manual focus and manual aperture control will net more capabilities.

Your quartet is a nice set of lenses.

Just saw Kai's review of the E-M1 II ... looks pretty good to me.
https://youtu.be/st_3d0QQOOA

G

k-hawinkler

Hi Bart, have fun with your PL 42.5/1.2 in the museum. Mine takes sharp pictures wide open. I am sure yours works the same way. :grin:
:worthless:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Obvious unless you're shooting video, primarily, where the Voigtländer's manual focus and manual aperture control will net more capabilities.

Your quartet is a nice set of lenses.

Just saw Kai's review of the E-M1 II ... looks pretty good to me.
https://youtu.be/st_3d0QQOOA

G
The Voigtländers are certainly nice, but for video there are so much nice legacy glass available as well, particularly in combination with Metabone's excellent Speed Boosters.

I saw Kai's review myself, and it contains a lot of praise of course. Interestingly, he also complains about the user interface. To me, Kai is the best reviewer out there. His reviews are short, to the point and covers most of what I need to know before trying the camera myself. His quirky sense of humor is also great entertainment. It'll be interesting to see how the GH5 stacks up after this.

Godfrey

The Voigtländers are certainly nice, but for video there are so much nice legacy glass available as well, particularly in combination with Metabone's excellent Speed Boosters.

I saw Kai's review myself, and it contains a lot of praise of course. Interestingly, he also complains about the user interface. To me, Kai is the best reviewer out there. His reviews are short, to the point and covers most of what I need to know before trying the camera myself. His quirky sense of humor is also great entertainment. It'll be interesting to see how the GH5 stacks up after this.
(Aside: I don't buy Metabones products. The three mount adapters from them I bought were all out of spec and I returned them. I don't trust them at all.)

Of course there are plenty of older lenses available. But that's not an option for some folks; having lenses designed for the mount and format has some benefit, and in some cases it's better to buy new anyway. The Voigtländer 10.5, 17, 25, and 42.5 mm lenses, all f/0.95, would make another awesome quartet of Micro-FourThirds lenses and an amazing video set. I once considered that when I wanted to get into video work with mFT, but that activity never materialized.

Everyone who doesn't use the Olympus cameras a lot dislikes the menu system. Most folks who use them exclusively like it a lot. Eh? It's a matter of what you're used to. I find it quite logical and easy to learn, there's simply a lot to it. Of course, Olympus cameras are more configurable than most. If that's valuable to you, you learn the menu system.

(Of course, I've since pretty much stopped using my Olympus gear for the Leica SL and M-D. The M-D has no menu at all, so it's like an M film camera in that respect; the SL's control ergonomics and menu system is utterly different from Olympus and equally wonderful to me. So again, eh? It's up to you to pick what works for you.)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's up to you to pick what works for you.

G
I did. It's the GX8 and the GM5, although I'm keeping the E-M1 for what it's best at; 4/3 lenses and legacy glass. Then there's the F6 of course, which sees increased use for the time being.

But this is highly off topic. I'll say a few words about the GX8 in a separate thread when I've used it more.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I would decide to stay in m43 land I would definitely buy the whole lineup - EM1m2, 1.12/25 and 4/12-200.

Unfortunately I cannot decide to do so as I found my luck somewhere else :cool:

But maybe a few months later? Who knows :grin:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If I would decide to stay in m43 land I would definitely buy the whole lineup - EM1m2, 1.12/25 and 4/12-200.

Unfortunately I cannot decide to do so as I found my luck somewhere else :cool:

But maybe a few months later? Who knows :grin:
I'll most probably stay in m4/3 land, but at the moment, I aim for the new PL trio; 8-18, 12-60 and 50-200 f/2.8-4.

If I decide to go for a larger body than the GX8, it will probably be the GH5, but I'm looking at the G85 as well, since it's fantastic value for money and since it's getting such great reviews.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'll most probably stay in m4/3 land, but at the moment, I aim for the new PL trio; 8-18, 12-60 and 50-200 f/2.8-4.

If I decide to go for a larger body than the GX8, it will probably be the GH5, but I'm looking at the G85 as well, since it's fantastic value for money and since it's getting such great reviews.
This trio looks impressive indeed! Not sure if I could get friends with the GH5 though although it for sure will be a great camera.

It is a shame that Oly IBIS and IS of Pana lenses does not work together (or also the other way around).

One thought WRT resolution - now that I am working with 24MP (although from an APSC sensor but that does not matter too much) I definitely do not want to get back to 16MP again - this time is gone. Got so much more freedom to crop that I finally can do now without too much headache and found that I am doing it actually quite often. So 20MP would be the absolute minimum I personally could accept from now on, hopefully the GH5 will have that resolution.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This trio looks impressive indeed! Not sure if I could get friends with the GH5 though although it for sure will be a great camera.

It is a shame that Oly IBIS and IS of Pana lenses does not work together (or also the other way around).

One thought WRT resolution - now that I am working with 24MP (although from an APSC sensor but that does not matter too much) I definitely do not want to get back to 16MP again - this time is gone. Got so much more freedom to crop that I finally can do now without too much headache and found that I am doing it actually quite often. So 20MP would be the absolute minimum I personally could accept from now on, hopefully the GH5 will have that resolution.
The GH5 will be minimum 18 MP. One of the features that are known is the ability to shoot "6K photo", which is 18 MP more or less. The big question is if it will be able to shoot 6K video at 24/25/30 fps or just bursts at that resolution. The text on Panasonic's website says "6K PHOTO is a high speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with 18-megapixel
(Approx.6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that 6K image manages."

Until 2 years ago, I had the GH3 which was very similar to the GH5. I can safely say that it's one of the best cameras that I've owned, and from an ergonomic point of view probably the best. The GH5 is vastly improved, and although it will lack many of the cool features of the E-M1, it will most probably be an extremely solid performer in all areas except AF, where the E-M1 is the big, shining star. When it comes to video, there's no competition. Panasonic is totally superior and will shoot 4K 60P which is a first for any camera that can be bought for a sensible amount.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The GH5 will be minimum 18 MP. One of the features that are known is the ability to shoot "6K photo", which is 18 MP more or less. The big question is if it will be able to shoot 6K video at 24/25/30 fps or just bursts at that resolution. The text on Panasonic's website says "6K PHOTO is a high speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with 18-megapixel
(Approx.6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that 6K image manages."

Until 2 years ago, I had the GH3 which was very similar to the GH5. I can safely say that it's one of the best cameras that I've owned, and from an ergonomic point of view probably the best. The GH5 is vastly improved, and although it will lack many of the cool features of the E-M1, it will most probably be an extremely solid performer in all areas except AF, where the E-M1 is the big, shining star. When it comes to video, there's no competition. Panasonic is totally superior and will shoot 4K 60P which is a first for any camera that can be bought for a sensible amount.
While all of the video features are very impressive and there will be numerous people who need all of these (or at least think they do so) I must say that when I did video recently (and I stared doing a lot video) I was already here than happy with excellent full HD. And also my computer thought the same, as 4K already parts introducing a lot of burden on all you components from computing to storage as well as external monitors - AND connection (this is where the new MacBook Pro's with USP-C shine.

If you have your workflow chain not set up to that than all the 4k stuff is just for nothing - well maybe you can store at least your footage for future generations :cool:

So I am not sur if the GH5 is really as versatile for everyday use of the average engaged user???

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
While all of the video features are very impressive and there will be numerous people who need all of these (or at least think they do so) I must say that when I did video recently (and I stared doing a lot video) I was already here than happy with excellent full HD. And also my computer thought the same, as 4K already parts introducing a lot of burden on all you components from computing to storage as well as external monitors - AND connection (this is where the new MacBook Pro's with USP-C shine.

If you have your workflow chain not set up to that than all the 4k stuff is just for nothing - well maybe you can store at least your footage for future generations :cool:

So I am not sur if the GH5 is really as versatile for everyday use of the average engaged user???
I already have very good quality 4K with the GX8. There are still many unknown about the GH5, but what we know that's it will have are:

- Larger battery plus battery grip
- Joystick
- 2 SD-cards
- Better build quality and probably also weather ceiling
- Easier to hold with large telephoto lenses
- 4K 60p
- 4:2:2 10 bit 4K

It will probably also have a higher bit rate which gives better quality video under some circumstances. I guess it has H.265, which is a much better compression algorithm than what previous models offer. Rumours say that it will have IBIS that works when producing video, like the G85 and GX85 have. The total unknown is if they have improved the AF. Phase Detect, like the E-M1 has would be huge.

My mid-2014 MacBook is already fine for 4K, so no worries there, and disk drives for long term storage are cheap. I'm in no hurry though. The GX8 is already a very good camera that does most of what I need very well. A used, very cheap GH4 is also an alternative :)

marlof

The obvious alternative is the PL 25mm, and any rational photographer would choose the PL, considering its much lower price, weight and size.
I actually have both. The PL25 stays with my Pen-F, as do the 12, 17, 45 and 75 lenses. The O25 1.2 lives in my bad weather Billingham, together with the EM1, 12-40 and 40-150 with TC.

Gillymaru

G
I have both these lenses Godfrey and the Olympus 1.2 is in another league. The bokeh is outstanding the only negative is the size compared to the other 25 mm lenses. I really enjoy shooting with this focal length so adding this to my kit to replace the 25mm 0.95 was an easy choice.