The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly 7-14 f/2.8 problem

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
When I mount my 7-14 f/2.8 Pro to my EM-5II, it is stuck in MF. I can not change to AF-S. I also have the 12-40 f/2.8 and it works properly. I have tried cleaning the contacts. Does anyone have any ideas short of sending it to Olympus?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When I mount my 7-14 f/2.8 Pro to my EM-5II, it is stuck in MF. I can not change to AF-S. I also have the 12-40 f/2.8 and it works properly. I have tried cleaning the contacts. Does anyone have any ideas short of sending it to Olympus?
It has a sliding focusing ring, doesn't it? Is it in the correct (AF) position?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you, Knorp and Jorgan. I knew it had to be something like that. I never use that clutch and it moved its position.
Problem solved!:thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, Knorp and Jorgan. I knew it had to be something like that. I never use that clutch and it moved its position.
I did the same with the 40-150mm f/2.8 on a river boat in a remote part of the Rakhine State of Myanmar a couple of months ago. I'm surprised you didn't hear my swearing across the globe :cussing:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I did the same with the 40-150mm f/2.8 on a river boat in a remote part of the Rakhine State of Myanmar a couple of months ago. I'm surprised you didn't hear my swearing across the globe :cussing:
Yikes, Lucky for me, a wide angle is easy to focus, even with action (hot air balloons launching). I would imagine you were not too happy with the long lens.

I'm so glad I have you guys to help me out.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yikes, Lucky for me, a wide angle is easy to focus, even with action (hot air balloons launching). I would imagine you were not too happy with the long lens.

I'm so glad I have you guys to help me out.
Ha ha... I sold it. This was not the reason though :)

marlof

If you never use the clutch, you might change the setting so that this clutch doesn't have any effect. I know my EM1 (mk1) allows me to do that.

Knorp

If you never use the clutch, you might change the setting so that this clutch doesn't have any effect. I know my EM1 (mk1) allows me to do that.
You're right: it's the MF Clutch option (Operative/Inoperative) in the A. AF/MF menu

biglouis

That happens to me a lot. I panic for a few seconds and then the old synapses start to fire... ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Happened to me again and again. But you can configure the EM1 at least so that glitch is not active. Not sure where in the menu.

k-hawinkler

Don't all the Oly Pro lenses have that feature?
I find that very convenient after having been puzzled once. :facesmack: :ROTFL: :LOL:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don't all the Oly Pro lenses have that feature?
I find that very convenient after having been puzzled once. :facesmack: :ROTFL: :LOL:
Yes, I guess they do. I had the 12-40 Pro when it first came out. Then I sold all of my m 4/3 gear. Mid-year last year, I re-purchased an M5 kit. I love the size compared to my Sony's. For many tasks the Oly works better. I manual focus most of the time, but keep my camera on S-AF MF so that I can hit the back button and AF quickly or hit the magnify and tweak the manual focus. I have no reason to use the clutch, so had forgotten all about it.

Just yesterday, in an unrelated post on another forum, someone pointed out this blog which explains how to put Af/MF on the back switch. Someone may find this useful: mirrorlessmadness.wordpress.com - Corrected: Olympus OM-D E-M1 (and E-M5II) Back Button Focus I wouldn't find that useful because I like to keep the operation of the EM-5II and my Sony's as close as possible to the same configurations.

Elderly

I very recently had a parallel panic :shocked:.

I got my 12-100 Pro immediately before embarking on a trip to Southern India (no testing time before :loco:).

Whilst attempting to test eye autofocus on a bird:D shortly after arrival, I couldn't get the IS to work at all :wtf:.
Diving into the SCP and then the menus, found no solution to the problem :banghead:.

What I'd overlooked (because it's my first IS Olympus LENS) is that it has an IS On/Off switch on the barrel :eek::eek::eek: :facesmack::facesmack::facesmack:.

Elderly

It's too soon to say K-H, but for the purposes of my trip, the lens suited MY (outdoor) shooting style perfectly;
the range was SO useful to ME and I suspect when paired with the Mk11, the extra abilities of that sensor can
only improve the usability of the lens.
But I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask regarding image quality - I really enjoy capturing the moment, but I'm not a computer person and have still not moved on from jpegs :eek: (I do shoot everything in RAW too ...... for the future :angel:)

Without sounding like an Olympus advert, a quote from the link you posted above sums it up:
"DE: ......... you don't feel like "I've got a vacation lens on my camera." It's not like you are accepting inferior or bad quality in exchange for being able to have that range. And it's not real small, but it's not so big that it isn't a good balance. And it's weather-sealed."

However the bird (Bee Eater) was not co-operating with my eye autofocus test; when it saw me coming it closed its eyes :cussing:.
This is quite a heavy crop as you can't get that close to them.