The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus EM1.2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As there is no dedicated EM1.2 thread I thought I create one :cool:

I am back in the camp!

Today I got my new EM1.2 with the 2.8/12-40 (my EM1.1 and the 12-40 is gone to my daughter ;) which she really likes). All my Nikon gear is now sold and I am trying once more to stay completely mirrorless - we will see how successful I am but I am confident.

So far I am testing the camera but feel already pretty much home as I got really used to the EM1.1 over the last 3 years. But it feel much better than the old EM1 and definitely shutter is much more quiet. Also the first test shots I took in my office are promising, more resolution, better DR and great colors with Auto Color WB.

Anyone knowing when Lightroom will support other color profiles than Adobe Standard?

Best regards

Peter

f6cvalkyrie

Congrats with your new camera, Peter ... enjoy it to the limit, and share some pics with us ...
As you know, I myself am rather undecided as to which way to go next in photography ...

C U,
Rafael

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After my initial test I see that this new sensor delivers some great more DR than the sensor in the EM1.1. And it also seems to me very accurate WRT color reproduction especially in low light and with high ISO's. This all is pretty remarkable when the higher resolution is taken into account!

Also the mechanical shutter is a lot more quiet compared to the old model.

And ergonomics have simply grown to perfection - at least for me.

So far I am very happy with my decision. I am hoping for some better weather here in Austria over the weekend so I can go out and take some more nice test shots.

Knorp

After my initial test I see that this new sensor delivers some great more DR than the sensor in the EM1.1. And it also seems to me very accurate WRT color reproduction especially in low light and with high ISO's. This all is pretty remarkable when the higher resolution is taken into account!

Also the mechanical shutter is a lot more quiet compared to the old model.

And ergonomics have simply grown to perfection - at least for me.

So far I am very happy with my decision. I am hoping for some better weather here in Austria over the weekend so I can go out and take some more nice test shots.
Ergonomics are really good, I seriously consider to skip that Power Battery Holder (HLD-9).

marlof

Congratulations, Peter. It sounds like you're looking forward to spend some quality time with this setup. I must say that my fingers keep itching around the buy button, but I've resisted so far. To be honest, I use to like my Pen-F setup quite a bit more, but last January I took the EM1.1 with the 25 1.2 for a PAD project and it really grew on me. This made me lust for the EM1.2 ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ergonomics are really good, I seriously consider to skip that Power Battery Holder (HLD-9).
I also got the HLD-9, was part of the deal when selling my Nikon kit ...

But the EM1.2 is also perfectly holdable without that grip, only longer lenses will really benefit from this setup.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations, Peter. It sounds like you're looking forward to spend some quality time with this setup. I must say that my fingers keep itching around the buy button, but I've resisted so far. To be honest, I use to like my Pen-F setup quite a bit more, but last January I took the EM1.1 with the 25 1.2 for a PAD project and it really grew on me. This made me lust for the EM1.2 ...
This EM1.2 is really something completely different compared to the EM1.1.

Most remarkably it has even better ergonomics and it is much, Much, MUCH faster ;)

Elderly

This EM1.2 is really something completely different compared to the EM1.1.

Most remarkably it has even better ergonomics and it is much, Much, MUCH faster ;)
Stop it, Stop it, STOP it, STOP IT :angry: I knew that I should have succumbed to the Mk 2 too :D.

biglouis

Stop it, Stop it, STOP it, STOP IT :angry: I knew that I should have succumbed to the Mk 2 too :D.
This is why I refuse to see the EM1.2 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Must resist.

I am holding out for a GX9...

Good luck with the camera: it sounds like a perfect fit for you!

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After this first real shootout today afternoon I must say that I am intrigued by this camera! It is much better than what I expected it to be, especially WRT IQ. This is such a giant step upwards from the Em1.1 and the old 16MP sensor. It is not just resolution but much more so DR, colors out of camera (RAW) - well one could call it Auto WB accuracy :cool:, perfect ergonomics, fast, the battery life I always wanted, etc., etc. - I could continue for much longer.

Some obligatory cat pictures :D

2017-02-04_0074.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-02-04_0103.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-02-04_0110.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

scott kirkpatrick

After this first real shootout today afternoon I must say that I am intrigued by this camera! It is much better than what I expected it to be, especially WRT IQ. This is such a giant step upwards from the Em1.1 and the old 16MP sensor. It is not just resolution but much more so DR, colors out of camera (RAW) - well one could call it Auto WB accuracy :cool:, perfect ergonomics, fast, the battery life I always wanted, etc., etc. - I could continue for much longer.

Some obligatory cat pictures :D

2017-02-04_0110.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr
That cat has attitude. Notice his f/64 eyes?

scott

etrigan63

Communion Portraits

All taken with E-M1.2 + 40-150mm f/2.8 + Variable ND Filter + Godox TT850 flash.

(I will be ordering my Elinchroms shortly).