The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

R

Ranger 9

In case anyone is interested in comparing results from older and more modern lenses...

After shooting yesterday's Canon 50mm f/0.95 picture posted earlier (here it is again)...

...I was back today and shot the same action with a 50mm f/1.5 Voigtlander Nokton lens on the G1:

The lighting was more "dialed-in" today (note modeling on the dancer's back) and also brighter... but then again the Nokton is a bit over 1 stop slower, so I bumped up the ISO from 800 to 1250 to keep the shutter speed above 1/200.

For 1:1 comparison buffs: Canon on left, Nokton on right --

The Nokton is obviously much less flarey around the edges, although the level of detail (note hair) seems similar. And it interests me that the Nokton picture looks sharper even when reduced to web-viewing size.

On the other hand, it looks as if I picked up noticeably more background noise jumping from ISO 800 (for the Canon lens) to 1250 (for the slower Nokton) and this also seems visible even when the photos are reduced to web-viewing size.

What does this prove? Nothing, really -- for me they both have their place and I'm going to continue to choose one or the other depending on my priorities. But I felt it was interesting to see the differences...

HansenTsang

Another non-conforming image.;-) I shot this with a Voigtlander 40 mm f1.4 Nokton in Leica M mount.

No post processing except for sizing and a bit of vignette added. Oops I forgot to mention the Raynox close up lens.

Last edited:

Diane B

G1+Rayqual+Canon FD50/1.4@ 1.4
Endre, do you have anymore with the FD 50 f/1.4 on your site? I already owned the FD 50 f/1.8 and its quite nice, but I continue to be tempted by the f/1.40--esp. with the very reasonable prices of the FDs.

Diane

endre novak

Endre, do you have anymore with the FD 50 f/1.4 on your site? I already owned the FD 50 f/1.8 and its quite nice, but I continue to be tempted by the f/1.40--esp. with the very reasonable prices of the FDs.

Diane
Diane,

got this very piece today. one more image in the "moto" gallery, that is all, so far. I have the 50/1,8 and 28mm 2.8 but have not used them on the G1 yet. This 1,4 looks promising, though! This piece is immaculate and got it for 35EUR. a joke.
cheers,

R

robertasumendi

Diane
Hi Diane, here's one from the 1.4:

It's a nice lens on the G1 though there's a bit of green chromatic issues. I got mine in excellent condition for $45 so it's a steal. Still, I use the Summar more often (sorry, obligatory):

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh, so Let me introduce to you (drum roLL) t' neW oLd worLd Look... d@ 50mm Jupiter 8-1...9200XXX an' w@Y before Sargent Peppers beg@n t' plaY...

@ f/2, and a O-ring macro spacer...

Diane B

Hi Diane, here's one from the 1.4:

It's a nice lens on the G1 though there's a bit of green chromatic issues. I got mine in excellent condition for $45 so it's a steal. Still, I use the Summar more often (sorry, obligatory):
Thanks Robert and Endre. The f/1.4 is very nice. There are some very inexpensively priced ones around so may pick one up.

Diane

Bill Gordon

Here a contribution with "product photography" .
Camera is LUMIX G1 + KONICA HEXANON 2/50 + NOVOFLEX M-Mount adapter .

View attachment 13436

Distance is about 80cm at aperture f16 . I believe , the result speaks for itself .
Gosh, I remember when I owned a Hasselblad!! It was a focal plane shutter with a top speed of 1/1000 and was called strangely enough the "Hasselblad 1,000f)!

E

elstudio

The Nokton is obviously much less flarey around the edges, although the level of detail (note hair) seems similar. And it interests me that the Nokton picture looks sharper even when reduced to web-viewing size.
Thanks, Ranger 9, for this comparison -- I've been keeping my eye out for oldie Canon and/or CV 50mm deals. These shots help tremendously!

Diane B

I love all these shots (why is Mary Poppins hanging outside a shop in Budapest LOL???). I haven't seen a 50 f/.95 anywhere--but glad to see some photos from it.

What I really want is an affordable something in range of 35 f/1.4 if there is something--may have to be 40. I have the FD 35 f/2.8 (bought it because its so small--and now like it because its nice, but would love faster) but am still looking.

Diane

wjlapier

I love all these shots (why is Mary Poppins hanging outside a shop in Budapest LOL???). I haven't seen a 50 f/.95 anywhere--but glad to see some photos from it.

What I really want is an affordable something in range of 35 f/1.4 if there is something--may have to be 40. I have the FD 35 f/2.8 (bought it because its so small--and now like it because its nice, but would love faster) but am still looking.

Diane
Hi Diane,
The Canon 50/.95 is a huge lens and very heavy on the G1.

As for 35mm, I have a Canon 35/1.8 for LTM I bought from Helen Hill. Small, sharp, and fast, not 1.4, but close. If you want even smaller than the FD 35/2.8, the Canon Serenar 35/2.8 in LTM is very small, and sharp too. It's even smaller than the 35/1.8.

Diane B

Thanks all. I've had the Nokton 40 f/1.4 in my sites. Didn't know the 2 Canons for LTM nor the Hexanon. Need to look into those.

I do know Godfrey's Pen F lens. I've been admiring his work with it since he got it. As I understood it, he made an adaptor (beyond my skill) but he says there is an adaptor coming soon, so if I can find one, a possibility.

Diane

Last edited: