The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting with 50's on G1--Share Your Pics!

Godfrey

Panasonic G1 + Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4
ISO 800 @ f/2 @ 1/125 sec

Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Thanks all. I've had the Nokton 40 f/1.4 in my sites. Didn't know the 2 Canons for LTM nor the Hexanon. Need to look into those.

I do know Godfrey's Pen F lens. I've been admiring his work with it since he got it. As I understood it, he made an adaptor (beyond my skill) but he says there is an adaptor coming soon, so if I can find one, a possibility.
Thank you, Diane!

The G.Zuiko 40 is really quite sweet. The only problem is finding one and not paying too much for it. I paid too much for mine but I'm happy for it.

My bodged together adapter is something anyone can do. It's simply a micro-FourThirds astronomical telescope mount from Hutech ($43) plus the lens-mount portion of a set of Olympus Pen F extension rings. The only issue, really, is finding the extension ring set ... when you can find them, they cost about $90-100.

That said, both jinfinance and another vendor whose name escapes me says they'll be shipping Pen F to micro43 adapters right about now... :)

woodyspedden

My G1 should arrive on Saturday. I am anxious to try my Hexanon 50 1.2 (M mount) with it. I think this should be a wonderful combination although the lens is heavy and may make for an unstable platform. However I expect the file quality to be superb. We shall see. I'll post results

Woody

wjlapier

My G1 should arrive on Saturday. I am anxious to try my Hexanon 50 1.2 (M mount) with it. I think this should be a wonderful combination although the lens is heavy and may make for an unstable platform. However I expect the file quality to be superb. We shall see. I'll post results

Woody

I have a Minolta MC 58/1.2 converted to f-mount and it is very heavy but feels fine on the G1. I cradle the combo with the lens in my hand--not sure how much weight the G1 can handle. The DR 'cron has some heft to it, but feels great actually. Even though the 50's come out to be 100mm on the G1, I like the focal length and use it often, more often than any other lens I have.

Enjoy and definitely share your results, especially wide open.

Godfrey

I have a Minolta MC 58/1.2 converted to f-mount and it is very heavy but feels fine on the G1. I cradle the combo with the lens in my hand--not sure how much weight the G1 can handle. The DR 'cron has some heft to it, but feels great actually. Even though the 50's come out to be 100mm on the G1, I like the focal length and use it often, more often than any other lens I have.

Enjoy and definitely share your results, especially wide open.
Kind of a side note but reacting to your sentiment above:

Although I cannot find the reference at present, I recall that I read in some Panasonic document or another that the recommended maximum weight lens you should use on the G1 when mounted via the tripod mounting screw on the body should be no more than 1 Kg (2.2 lbs).

This isn't an issue, of course, when you're hand-holding and supporting the camera/lens assembly by the lens, or for a lens mounted on a tripod with its own tripod mounting foot or fixture.

Diane B

Sitting on the ground on the other side of the picket fence in the afternoon sun shooting a macro of a fiddlehead, I noticed this and pulled out the FD 50 f/1.8--shot at f/2.8==I tried several--open, stopped down, etc., but liked this softer feeling with the sun through the Japanese Maples.

Diane

Although I cannot find the reference at present, I recall that I read in some Panasonic document or another that the recommended maximum weight lens you should use on the G1 when mounted via the tripod mounting screw on the body should be no more than 1 Kg (2.2 lbs).
That sounds quite a lot to me... The length of the lens must be just as important as the weight, too, since a longer lens means larger torque on the mount.

My own seat-of-the-pants feeling is that my AF MicroNikkor 60/2.8 on its adapter is close to the maximum I feel comfortable hanging on the G1. But then, I seldom use a tripod (regrettably...:eek:).

The first 2 images here are with the 60/2.8, and the third with my ancient uncoated Summar 2/50, all wide open and handheld.

Godfrey

That sounds quite a lot to me... The length of the lens must be just as important as the weight, too, since a longer lens means larger torque on the mount.

My own seat-of-the-pants feeling is that my AF MicroNikkor 60/2.8 on its adapter is close to the maximum I feel comfortable hanging on the G1. But then, I seldom use a tripod (regrettably...:eek:). ...
I agree, it seems like a lot to me too. But I know the 1 lb or so that the Summilux-D 50/1.4 weighs works without issue.

Nice photos! That old Leica lens produces a lovely feel to the image. :)

I agree, it seems like a lot to me too. But I know the 1 lb or so that the Summilux-D 50/1.4 weighs works without issue.

Nice photos! That old Leica lens produces a lovely feel to the image. :)
Thank you, Godfrey! Being able to shoot old glass is one of the nice things with the G1. My old M Summicron 35 was a disappointment, but 50 and 90 work well, and my three R lenses too (even 35 mm).

Photomorgana

Here are some shots with Kern Macro-Switar 50mm f1.4 C-Mount.
Sharp and nice bokeh, i think. Covers sensor. All at f1.4 or f2.0 some at ISO 400.

You have to be careful as I tried few of them and here is what I have found:
Switar 50mm AR - needs machining.
Switar 50mm RX - focusing ring is too close to adapter.
Macro-Switar 50mm - ding, ding, ding, BINGO...

Kern-paillards are are amazing. (in particular 26mm f1.1, 50mm f1.4 Macro and 75mm f1.9)

woodyspedden

I need some clarification. I just got my G1 and have been using the kit lenses on it. Now I am ready to use some of my M glass using John Milich's adapters. I thought I had read on these threads that the focus magnifier worked with alternate lenses i.e. when you rotate the focus ring on the lenses you automatically went into the 5X magnifier mode. On the two lenses I tried the 5X mag was not enabled by either. As I think about it more, since there is no electrical connection from the lens to the G1 body is doesn't seem likely that the camera knows that any focus action is taking place therefore the magnifier is not activated.

Could someone clue me in as to whether or not the focus magnifier works with alternate lenses? If not it is very disappointing as critical focus with lenses like the Nocti or the Hexanon 1.2 is part of why I bought the G1

Regardless let me know the real scoop here.

Thanks

Woody

monza

Put the focus dial on manual (left top of camera) (actually this is probably not necessary)

Press left arrow, then center button, to activate focus assist. Rotate the front wheel to step to higher mag.

After left arrow is pressed, the focus square can be moved to the desired location using the arrow keys; press center button to magnify.

Press shutter button halfway to go back to normal view.

R

robertasumendi

I need some clarification. I just got my G1 and have been using the kit lenses on it. Now I am ready to use some of my M glass using John Milich's adapters. I thought I had read on these threads that the focus magnifier worked with alternate lenses i.e. when you rotate the focus ring on the lenses you automatically went into the 5X magnifier mode. On the two lenses I tried the 5X mag was not enabled by either. As I think about it more, since there is no electrical connection from the lens to the G1 body is doesn't seem likely that the camera knows that any focus action is taking place therefore the magnifier is not activated.

Could someone clue me in as to whether or not the focus magnifier works with alternate lenses? If not it is very disappointing as critical focus with lenses like the Nocti or the Hexanon 1.2 is part of why I bought the G1

Regardless let me know the real scoop here.

Thanks

Woody
Monza's method is the only way, so there's no "automatic" mode... like you say, there is no electronic connection. We're all also hoping that Panasonic upgrades the firmware to include a custom function for magnification on shutter half-press.

After spending a couple months with the G1 and 50/1.4 I find critical focus is pretty easy and natural to achieve in most situations. Keep in mind that 4/3 has two stops more depth of field for any given aperture, so critical focus is easier anyhow.

R

Ranger 9

After spending a couple months with the G1 and 50/1.4 I find critical focus is pretty easy and natural to achieve in most situations.
I second Robert's comment; I find I seldom need to use the two-button focus magnification except for close-up shooting.

Tip: Make sure you set the eye-level finder's diopter control very accurately for your vision. When the finder image is perfectly sharp, it's easier to distinguish between in-focus and not-quite-in-focus images without resorting to magnification.

E

ekso

Keep in mind that 4/3 has two stops more depth of field for any given aperture, so critical focus is easier anyhow.
I am new to FourThirds and G1. I know a 25mm on 35mm is effectively a 50mm on a mFT. Can you expand on the "two stops more DOF" please.

thanks
Ekso