The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-620, why such a buzz?

K

kiloran

There seems to be plenty of chat around how amazing the new E-620 is, what is it that sets it apart from the Oly 4/3rds that have gone before? Given the slow appearance of native lenses for M4/3 and the likely price of the new 7-14 I'm tempted to buy one, particularly as I already have the Oly 25 and am now likely to buy one of the Oly wide angles. What does it offer over and above an older Oly body such at the E-520?

iiiNelson

I'm curious as to how the articulating LCD of the e620 will compare to the one for the G1. That would help me make up my mind... Somewhat.

Brian Mosley

The whole camera has a more robust feel... the fibre glass reinforced plastic, combined with the 'density' of the camera - makes it much more suitable to 4/3rds standard lenses.

The screen is 4/3rds format, has more of a 'matte' finish than the G1... erm, not sure what else to say? the colour seems warmer.

Kind Regards

Brian

iiiNelson

I meant how does the screen compare as far as resolution, how well it tracks, and the ability to compose shots with it. I've heard people mention the G1 as being the best camera so far as far as Live View composition goes. I was curious as to how the e620 compares for anyone who has observed both. Looking forward to your thoughts on the camera in general as I plan to choose one within the next couple of months. I'm also curious if the AA filter is any weaker on this model compared to older Olympus models.

Currently the only standard 4/3 lenses (if I decide to go m4/3) I'm interested in are the Oly 50mm/f2 and possibly the Panasonic 25mm/f1.4 (unless the Panasonic m4/3 7-14mm/f4 turns out to be complete crap and then I'd add the Oly 9-18mm.)

Brian Mosley

The E-620's LCD is 2.7" in diameter, and 230,000 pixels compared with the G1's LCD of 3" (wider, shorter) LCD with 460,000 pixels...

In terms of use, the most important aspect is that they both have articulating screens, which makes them infinitely more useful for composing... the G1 is a better solution for legacy lens shooting due to its' EVF - but the E-620 has a larger OVF (than the E-420/E-520) and also has in-body stabilisation, which becomes hugely useful when you're hand holding a 50+ mm legacy lens.

I think the proper comparison should be the E-620 with the GH1... they're both the most exciting cameras due imho.

Kind Regards

Brian

iiiNelson

That may be true but I really don't need the video features and the price rumors floating around ($1500 USD) for the GH-1 further distance me a bit from this camera when it's easy to get the standard G1 for $600 or so. I could use the extra $900 for a few extra lenses to make a decent kit (I'm thinking both kit lenses and a Oly 50mm/f2 macro with adapter to start.) Then I'd add the 7-14/f4 later for the wide stuff.

Of course my other alternative I was thinking aboutwas the e620 body and either the 14-54/f2.8-3.5 v2 and a Oly 25mm/f2.8 pancake for a start. Or maybe the same 50mm/f2 macro for close to the same price give or take. Then I'd probably add the 9-18/f4-5.6 later.

Brian Mosley

For legacy lenses, you just can't beat the G1 for the fun factor (EVF is just the best option for manual focusing) - but I think the E-620 will make a much more useful main system cam... having the whole range of superb 4/3rds lenses available.

Cheers

Brian

Michiel Schierbeek

For legacy lenses, you just can't beat the G1 for the fun factor (EVF is just the best option for manual focusing) - but I think the E-620 will make a much more useful main system cam... having the whole range of superb 4/3rds lenses available.

Cheers

Brian
Yes you are right Brian, I am really enjoying shooting with legacy lenses with this camera. Beiing able to see a lens behavior instantly in the viewfinder is a great experience. Autofocus becomes almost boring. :grin:
Michiel