The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M -> G1 adapters with EXACT infinity focus

B

bg2b

Does anyone have a summary of which adapters provide EXACT infinity focus? If I'm going to shell out the money for one, I want to be sure that the lens distance scales are accurate and that I don't screw up the optics of any lenses with floating elements. I've seen a couple of suggestions that the Rayqual and CameraQuest (are they the same?) adapters are correct. Is that right? Any others?

R

Ranger 9

The CameraQuest adapter I have seems to hit infinity exactly with all the lenses I've tried... except one, and that turned out to be the lens rather than the adapter.

I also have the new RJ Camera adapter (same one HansenTsang has) but haven't had a chance to check it yet. I received this free from RJ after buying one of his early adapters which didn't quite reach infinity. However, even the early adapter was off only by a few hundredths of a millimeter, so I doubt that floating elements would be affected.

Note that if your imaging chain includes any other adapters (such as LTM-to-M adapters) these also can be a source of deviations. And I suspect that some M-mount lenses may not be 100.000% correct at infinity, but the M-mount rangefinder doesn't show up the difference; it's only when examining the image at high magnification in the G1 finder that the issue becomes apparent. So there are other potential causes of this issue than the G1 adapter...

monza

I have tested the Rayqual and the first and second version Novoflex. The Rayqual and the 2nd version Novoflex are about as good as it's ever going to get. Word is that RJ has set up his adapter to focus a smidge past infinity, this is probably a good way to do it, gives a bit of margin of error and doesn't really sacrifice much on the close focus.

B

bg2b

I eventually ordered the CameraQuest adapter and can confirm that it hits infinity exactly with my lenses.