The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Curious news from Pana

Diane B

Thought about it--and in the end found a new in box adaptor that saved me a good bit (and will also give me the option to add other alternative lenses LOL), on its way and bought a 9-18 last night--should have both by first of the week. The difference will probably go towards the 20 f/1.7 this Fall. Now--looking forward to shooting with a WA on the G1--what a nice light package it will be for a 9-135mm/200mm, whether I choose to use the Panny lenses or my FD primes in the range up to 135mm. A HUGE difference when I'm out hiking or walking from carrying my 5D with 3 huge zooms (or even some smaller primes).

Diane

Diane B

can i ask what you paid for the 9-18? was it new?

they are available locally for 699. canadian.
I paid $540 at B & H with free shipping--new. I wanted to buy last night since they close down this afternoon for the Sabbath and wouldn't ship again until Monday--this way I should have it Monday or Tuesday *smile*. Once I decide--I really like it in hand LOL. I got notice that my adaptor was shipped today also so, hopefully, I will be shooting WA with the G1 mid week--now if ONLY the rain storms will clear.

Diane

back alley

snowing like hell here...

so, my local price is not too bad...though i can live without the ultra wide for awhile.
i quite like the 2 lens kit, 28 to 400 in such a small, lightweight kit.

and the 20 should make a great street lens.

thanks.

Diane B

snowing like hell here...

so, my local price is not too bad...though i can live without the ultra wide for awhile.
i quite like the 2 lens kit, 28 to 400 in such a small, lightweight kit.

and the 20 should make a great street lens.

thanks.
We're past snow---hopefully, though its happened before. We're very 'Spring' right now. Even thunderstorms due this afternoon.

I'm not a street shooter but I could live with a 20 f/1.7 for a lot of shooting. Right now I'm using an FD 24 f/2.8 but MF--so I'm looking forward a great deal to the 20 f/1.7.

Diane

Jonas

I paid $540 at B & H (...) I got notice that my adaptor was shipped today also so, hopefully, I will be shooting WA with the G1 mid week--now if ONLY the rain storms will clear.
As I recently bought the ZD9-18 I do of course think you did the right thing.

The ZD9-18, the adapter and the G20/1.7 for the same money, or at least not much more, than the G7-14. AN easy choice if one doesn't need the 7-8mm focal length.

Diane B

Jonas, that's what I decided. I did a metadata search in LR and found that, though I own a 12-24, 15-30 for my 5D and other bodies, I rarely shot at 12-16, so knew I would be fine with the 9-18mm. Besides that--I won't really have much difference in size--actually just the adaptor--AND I will have a bit more flexibility for other lenses or even stacking adaptors if I choose. As you pointed out---*smile*---I'll have that extra for the 20 f/1.7--win/win for me.

Diane

Bill Gordon

Oh Diane, the E-10/20 were great cameras.....a way ahead of their time, but that was a long time ago. Now, the technology has advanced to such an extent that we now have a very hungry appetite for goodies that we don't even know existed before. I still like the simplicity of the three things that film gave us, control of the aperture, control of the shutter speed, and control of focussing! What else was needed to make a good photographer?? Why of course it was/is the person behind the camera that counts!!
Here are three from 2002 on the E-10/20 from Calyfornia!!

Jonas

Is there a photo of the 9-18 mounted on a G1 somewhere?
Right here:

As I mentioned above the hood is a pain; it is uncomfortably big for my bag. The good thing is that a standard 72mm filter can be used without causing vignetting.

I use to have my lenses standing with the front pointing down for easy access and switching. So, I have ordered a metal screw on WA hood which I plan to dremel down appropriately some day. I hope to get a hood with less wide but still protecting the front element when the lens is standing in the bag. For now the original hood will do. Regards, /Jonas

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Right here:

. . . . As I mentioned above the hood is a pain; it is uncomfortably big for my bag. The good thing is that a standard 72mm filter can be used without causing vignetting. . . .
/Jonas
Not a lot of difference in size. Thankyou Jonas.

Guess for a lot of the time I'll leave the kit lens out of the bag. The range of 18 - 36 (35 equiv) is nice

Keith

Bill Gordon

Thank you Keith for your kind remarks and yes, it was thought out. That this the pier at Huntington Beach and the young lady is/was a fellow E-10/20 owner and is now up to date with the Olympus system.
Here is what it is like above the pier, and looking down at the beach we see, oh my goodness!!!

Diane B

Bill, indeed the E10/20 were a long time ago. That's where Jono and I became acquainted years ago. I really would have stuck with the Oly system I think but really wanted to move onto an interchangable lens cam. Canon and Nikon announced in Feb 2002 and Oly had that d**n wooden mockup LOL. I was able to get my hands on a D60 (and added a D30 for backup for my parttime commercial interior work) that year and that became my system. I was ready to add a medium format film system, had my eye on what I needed and was just procrastinating--and the 5D was announced. That's sort of 'all they wrote' for me for the last 3.5 years (though I had several 1.6x bodies in between the D60 and the 5D).

I'm pretty heavily invested--and pretty happy--with the Canon system but really wanted a smaller camera for travel, hiking, etc. I've tried a G9, the 400D and was keeping my eye on the DP1 when the G1 was announced. I really didn't expect to be so enthralled with another camera so soon--but its in my hands every day now. I can see using the FF for certain situation, landscapes for very big prints--but I'm having such fun with the G1 and both the Panny lenses and my 4 FD lenses. Adding the 9-18 seems a good choice for now. There may be a time I will phase out of the Canon system--not anytime soon, but there's always a possibility--and I just couldn't see a 'con' to the choice (and, because I love using the MF lenses, it opens up some other possibilies).

Really like the composition of the one under the pier.

Diane

Diane B

Jonas--what handstrap is that you have on the G1 please?? I use a wrist/hand strap on all my cameras and though the G1 doesn't really need it--and I have a nice Gordy's wrist strap, I do like the security and the feel of one more similar to yours. I have various ones--the Canon E1 attached to an L bracket for the 5D, an old Camdaptor for the 10DIR and one I'm not sure of (with plastic mount on bottom to tripod screw) for the 400D.

Diane

P

pix2pixels

Please excuse my ignorance and if I missed the info in other posts.
Do the Olympus lenses maintain the AF and aperture control with the G1?