The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cretan Monochromes with the E3

DavidL

Nice "Contrasty" images, which I ilke. well I think they are as I'm house and cat sitting at the minute so viewing on an old CRT.
Been a while since I was I Crete, around the time a blond Canadian singer was there. Remember with fondness the Lasithi plateau and drinking far too much of the local drink and visiting the cave Zeus was supposed to have hung out in. Think he was hidden there, if my memory serves me well. He was well hidden because we didn't see him, oh that's right he'd moved on by then.
David and the two cats. (I have no idea what these will look like as this is not a colour managed system.)

Last edited:

DavidL

The cats look fine David.

Shall we just call you Carey?

Where's the cane?

and was she good in bed?
Unfortunately I wasn't Carey so I don't know.
They were strange but wondrous days. I remember, as we left Matala a bunch of GI's were heading for the beach. Then we met an amazing looking girl with short bleached hair, who turned out to be a Native American. You kind of don't expect them to look like that, well not when you've been bought up on John Wayne style films.
So you beat me to the 135 f1.8. Not for me at present as work is non existent at the minute, except for the odd studio shoot. I've just got an old sigma 14mm to amuse myself with. Makes me want a 14-24 but I'll resist.
David

jonoslack

Unfortunately I wasn't Carey so I don't know.
They were strange but wondrous days. I remember, as we left Matala a bunch of GI's were heading for the beach. Then we met an amazing looking girl with short bleached hair, who turned out to be a Native American. You kind of don't expect them to look like that, well not when you've been bought up on John Wayne style films.
Hi Dave
I know how handsome you are, but red hair and a camera thief? I didn't really have you down as Carey!

Did you meet Ms Mitchell then?

I went to Matala in 1976 or 77, everyone had gone, and the caves were full of goat crap . . . I went for a walk on the cliffs up to the east, and found a pile of faded clothes held down with a stone, when I looked underneath there was an English passport, terribly poignant. I took it to the police in Matala, but they were clearly uninterested. Nowadays I would have taken down the name and checked when I got home.

It sends tingles down my spine thinking about it.
:eek:

Bill Gordon

Re: Lots more here - not all monochrome

Hi there
Still working on these (shame on me). It does bring back thoughts of summer sunshine though:

Livaniana is a stiff walk up from the coast, currently there are two people living there, the Taverna owner (I wish I could remember his name) and an old lady who used to run the Taverna.

Fresh orange juice in iced glasses is very welcome after walking up the exposed path in the heat, and you're guaranteed a good welcome.
The Taverna at Livaniana

Beach Fisherman

Between Chora Sfakia and Soujia the white mountains come right down to the sea - most of the villages can only be accessed by boat. Loutro is set in a pretty bay, you either get the boat (the Daskiologiannis) or else you walk along the cliff path past Sweetwater beach.

Loutro
I enjoyed 25 from Loutro ..... gosh what a taskmaster making your wife walk such a long way on a rough path in the heat of the sun!!!

jonoslack

Re: Lots more here - not all monochrome

I enjoyed 25 from Loutro ..... gosh what a taskmaster making your wife walk such a long way on a rough path in the heat of the sun!!!
Hi There Bill
"making my wife" . . . there's a concept! More like the other way around I'd say!

I hope you're well, I'll miss your May jaunt this year.