The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

According to magazine G1 out resolves Nikon D3

gDallasK

A very interesting article in the current issue of UK magazine Amateur Photographer compares the G1 with the D3 and also the Nikon D300. The intention of the aricle was to establish whether smaller chips with denser arrays of pixels could out-resolve bigger chips with a similar number of less densly packed pixels. The author found that in good light the G1 is a clear winner - and also provided greater depth of field. However, in less than ideal conditions, the effects of noise in small chips obviously makes a difference.

Good news anyway for those of us who value small, portable cameras for macro work!

jonoslack

HI Geoff
Interesting stuff - AP have odd credentials with respect to 4/3.
Still, I'm sure this will cause many a punch up over at dpreview:ROTFL:

I must say, for macro work in good light I'd choose a 4/3 sensor every time, that little bit of extra depth of field really helps, and twisty LCD's even more.

Terry

I must say, for macro work in good light I'd choose a 4/3 sensor every time, that little bit of extra depth of field really helps, and twisty LCD's even more.
And even then, I'm not finding it so easy! I want to get a macro lens. I've been using the zoom and closeup lens and I don't find the combo so easy. I have to say the small sensor superzooms are amazing for macros because of the tiny sensor you can stick a +4 or more diopter on it and still have enough DOF.

This was off one of my little Panasonic zooms....

Jeremy

Pffffft, DOF is overrated. Here's a more than 1:1 macro shot w/ very little DOF: