The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jinfinance should have MA1 replacement on Monday

apicius9

Well, originally I thought I'd be happy with just the Canon lenses, my Summicron and the 20/17 in the future, but then I got fascinated by this whole cine lens craze. I probably shouldn't even say this because it just shows how nuts I am, but I have snapped up a collection of around - aehh - 50 :eek: c-mount cine or Kodak lenses (well, a few are TV lenses) from a recent auction that are hopefully on the way to me now. Among them are several fast ones I want for myself, and I hope to pass most of the others on with just enough profit so I can cover some expenses for my own lenses - without asking the absurd prices some sellers on ebay seem to be dreaming about these days...

Stefan

M

Mingjai

Just waiting to pick up some lenses from ebay and then off to jinfinance for the adaptor.

Mingai, so what FD lenses are you using ?

Ekso
Sorry for the slow response on this--

I currently have 3 FD lenses, two of which see regular use. Here's my current lineup:

Canon 50mm f/1.4 (bayonet)
Canon 24mm f/2
Vivitar (Komine) 24mm f/2

The two Canons comprise my daily, around town kit. While very compact, they are quite dense, so I'm not sure if they'll make my travel kit.

I originally wasn't planning on picking up either of the 24mm lenses. I found the Vivitar in almost brand-new condition in original box for a steal. A few days later, I found the Canon and got a great deal on it because it has some slight, non-IQ-affecting scratches on the coating of the front element (in areas outside of the sensor coverage anyway).

Optically, the Canon 24mm is great, even wide open, though it does suffer from some CA as you'd expect from a wide angle lens. By comparison, the Vivitar has a soft, diffuse effect wide open (might be good for retro-looking portraits), but is sharp stopped down to around f/4.

I also have a Hexanon AR 40 f/1.8, which I use with my Panasonic 4/3s adapter. It's a great, sharp lens, and I use it about as much as the FD 50 f/1.4. My two minor complaints with the Hexanon are, first, that you can't set the aperture to half-stops, so in application, it's a stop slower than the FD 50 because I can shoot with great results at f/2 on the FD while I have stop down to f/2.8 on the Hexanon to get similar results. The other concern is that at f/2.8 (the next notch down from wide open), the aperture blades have a funky shape (see HERE), which makes for some funky bokeh when there are light sources in the background. The notches go mostly away at f/4 (HERE) Again, it's a great and compact lens, and probably will be in my travel kit because of its image quality and compactness.

Last edited:
E

ekso

Not Mingai but....Ekso, I was quick on the draw and wanted one fast so bought the early FD adaptor--the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor. Had I waited I could have bought FD adaptors for 1/2 the price--many are pleased with the jinfinance adaptor, so I would say go with that.

There are so many FD lenses--there is a good site that gives you lots of info about them
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm
I was interested in keeping my size/weight reasonable so generally selected (after checking size/weight on the FD site) the f/2.8s. Probably if I had it to do over, I would have bought the 24/2 and maybe the 35/2 instead of the f/2.8s but the f/2.8s are very nice and smaller than the f/2s. I also have the 50 f/1.8--I'd recommend the f/1.4--but I already owned the 1.8. I also bought the 135 f/2.8 which I like a lot--and am using it more than I expected.

I now have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 in transit (will have to have converted to use with 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor) because I like the 35 f/2.8 so much. Its my most used FD lens--but there is nothing in the FDs this fast in this FL range--unless you can find a 35 f/2--not quite as fast, but judging from my f/2.8 probably quite nice.

Diane
Diane,
thanks for the advise...I had my eyes on an ebay item. I am now the proud owner of a Canon 50mm f1.4 and and 28mm f.2.0 FD lenses.
Next stop jinfinance for the FD to m4/3 adaptor.

Can't wait.

E

ekso

Sorry for the slow response on this--

I currently have 3 FD lenses, two of which see regular use. Here's my current lineup:

Canon 50mm f/1.4 (bayonet)
Canon 24mm f/2
Vivitar (Komine) 24mm f/2

The two Canons comprise my daily, around town kit. While very compact, they are quite dense, so I'm not sure if they'll make my travel kit.

I originally wasn't planning on picking up either of the 24mm lenses. I found the Vivitar in almost brand-new condition in original box for a steal. A few days later, I found the Canon and got a great deal on it because it has some slight, non-IQ-affecting scratches on the coating of the front element (in areas outside of the sensor coverage anyway).

Optically, the Canon 24mm is great, even wide open, though it does suffer from some CA as you'd expect from a wide angle lens. By comparison, the Vivitar has a soft, diffuse effect wide open (might be good for retro-looking portraits), but is sharp stopped down to around f/4.

I also have a Hexanon AR 40 f/1.8, which I use with my Panasonic 4/3s adapter. It's a great, sharp lens, and I use it about as much as the FD 50 f/1.4. My two minor complaints with the Hexanon are, first, that you can't set the aperture to half-stops, so in application, it's a stop slower than the FD 50 because I can shoot with great results at f/2 on the FD while I have stop down to f/2.8 on the Hexanon to get similar results. The other concern is that at f/2.8 (the next notch down from wide open), the aperture blades have a funky shape (see HERE), which makes for some funky bokeh when there are light sources in the background. The notches go mostly away at f/4 (HERE) Again, it's a great and compact lens, and probably will be in my travel kit because of its image quality and compactness.
Mingjai, as you can see, I have now purchased similar FD. Would really liekt o see some photos of comparision between your two 24mm....

M

milapse

I sort of don't see the point of this adapter if you can't use the autofocus and aperture (aka non aperture ring 4/3 lenses) functions? Guess it's just for people who have the 4/3 adapters for their manual lenses already and they want a quick adapt to micro 4/3??

monza

I guess buying the 4/3 to micro 4/3 plus the various adapters to 4/3 can be cheaper than buying several direct adapters...for example Leica, Nikon, OM to 4/3 are only about $25 each from various suppliers, whereas direct adapters to micro 4/3 are higher priced.

I know that I used the Panasonic DMW-MA1 strictly on adapted lenses, as I did not have any autofocus Pana or Olympus lenses.

AlterMann

Well folks,

unfortunately there are almost no testing-reports of adapters for the usage of different lenses on 4/3.

In a german forum you can find a test comparing 2 different brands. Apparently there may be differences not only in quality, in functionality too. So the cheaper product must not always be the better deal.

Here is the link to the test, it is written in german language:
http://www.forum-fourthirds.de/test...ro-fourthirds-adapter-gewinnmoeglichkeit.html

Jonas

Well folks,

unfortunately there are almost no testing-reports of adapters for the usage of different lenses on 4/3.

In a german forum you can find a test (...)
That could have been interesting. Now I don't want to register just to read it. I did however see that you may win a price if really many from here registers. That is with no doubt a sort of spam, but good for those inclined to register and read German.

You can improve the chances that I'll register by posting a summary in English here. ;)

AlterMann

Sorry Jonas for causing this confusion,
no my posting is no kind of spam :angel:.
I myself must have been registered at this forum http://www.forum-fourthirds.de/ already before the test was being published, so I just did not notice the requirement of registering ro read the test. By the way the price that could be won by registering is given away weeks ago due to expiry of the term.

Inbetween Novoflex has published the test on its website for you to watch at, without suspected registering http://www.novoflex.com/de/info/download/+/file/testbericht-adapter.pdf/ - of course since the Novoflex part had a better testing result compared to the one made in China (?). Nevertheless in german language, but with illustrations :bugeyes:

Short summary which you requested, my english is lousy, I apologise ahead for the mistakes.
The conclusion of the test is, that the Novoflex part is built more exactly (for objects in distance infinity only with the Novoflex the resulting pictures have been best at open aperture) and is for some reasons easier to handle (for example the dots as indicators for the mounting of the adaptor to the G1 are marked in a badly visible place on the non-Novoflex).

I hope I could give you some more informations about my impressions of this issue, and I send friendly greetings to the Far North :salute:

apicius9

Yep, OldMan's comments sum it up. The comparison uses Voigtlander lenses to compare the Novoflex Leica M and M39 adapter with an adapter you can get on a website in Germany - most likely one of the Chinese ones, but it remains unclear which one. They plan more tests of other m4/3 items in the future, so that might be interesting.

BTW, greetings nach Oestrich - some of the best German wines come from that little town. Some nice dry Rheingau Riesling is one of the few things I miss out here in Hawaii ;)

Stefan

monza

How much does the Novoflex sell for in Germany? In the USA, retail is over $300, and MAP price is $271. I guess that explains why no one sells it in the US.

apicius9

How much does the Novoflex sell for in Germany? In the USA, retail is over $300, and MAP price is $271. I guess that explains why no one sells it in the US.
The Novoflex Leica M seems to be 149 Euros in Germany.

Stefan

Jonas

Sorry Jonas for causing this confusion,
no my posting is no kind of spam :angel:.
(...)
I hope I could give you some more informations about my impressions of this issue, and I send friendly greetings to the Far North :salute:
I read it all, carefully, old man. Friendly greetings are great and in return i would like to wish you good light.

Thank you,

--
Jonas

AlterMann

Hi folks,
the prices in Euro for the Novoflex Adaptors in Germany are (including german VAT):
Leica M = 149 Euro
Leica R, Minolta MD, Canon FD, Contax/Yashica CY = these are 119 each
M42 = 89 Euro
announced are Olympus-OM 119 Euro,
and expected to be available Juni 2009 are
MFT/MIN-AF for Sony/Minolta-AF
MFT/NIK for Nikon
MFT/PENT for Pentax
(prices are not yet published, I guess around 150 Euro.

Hope I could help you with these informations - 300 US-Dollar is simply rediculous :angry:

E

ekso

I'm not Diane, but I do I have one of his FD adapters--got it back in early February. It works great and focuses just past infinity.
"focuses just past infinity"...is that a good thing or bad ?

( I am not good with the science, so apologies if this comes acroess as a silly question, I am genuine about my query.

monza

It's a good question. Just past infinity is better than not reaching infinity at all. It's very difficult to get these adapters fine tuned *absolutely* (so the lens stops turning right at infinity.) Given the trade-offs it's therefore best to be just a tad past infinity. This means the close-focus point of the lens will be a tad further from the camera, however.

Now, how much is a tad, exactly? ;)

m3photo

Re: Infinity

It's a good question. Just past infinity is better than not reaching infinity at all.

Also remember that different lenses will "show" different figures on the barrel for when you see infinity on your screen. My 16mm Fisheye Nikkor is focused at infinity on the G1 with the Jinfinance Adapters when at just 4ft or 1.3 metres, with a 200mm lens it will be practically on the infinity mark - no big deal, just as long as infinity is there somewhere!

Diane B

What can I say LOL??? Someone mentioned that jinfinance had an EF to m4/3rds adaptor (w/o electrical contacts). That started me thinking---I have a Lensbaby that I've used hardly at all--bought it several years ago, but decided it might be interesting with the G1. I tried it last night in front of the G1 (used the FD adaptor which isn't correct length, but better) and think it will work just fine. I also tried a 28 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4 (of course, all of these are wide open only) and they are terrific--even with me holding them. I then thought of my 15 f/2.8 FE--maybe fun also. Its still a relatively cheap way to add lenses that will allow some different looks.

Diane

E

ekso

It's a good question. Just past infinity is better than not reaching infinity at all. It's very difficult to get these adapters fine tuned *absolutely* (so the lens stops turning right at infinity.) Given the trade-offs it's therefore best to be just a tad past infinity. This means the close-focus point of the lens will be a tad further from the camera, however.

Thanks Monza, that is good info.

Ekso