The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So, has everyone watched the Samsung NX hypnotically-rotating-camera video yet?

R

Ranger 9

If not, here's the link:

http://www.samsungusanews.com/2009/04/samsung-nx/

I would say that for everyone who thinks the Panasonic G1 doesn't have enough buttons to keep your right thumb busy, Samsung has designed just the camera for you. Other than that, if both these camera designs had been school projects, I think the teacher would be justified in suspecting that somebody had been copying somebody else's paper...

Diane B

Sure looks suspiciously like something we all know--and even in red!!!! Then---I started to wonder if the adaptor frenzy will start with the Sigma?

Diane

Terry

I know. I thought it looked so copied when I first saw it. They had it at PMA behind glass as well. My new color is the gold/champagne colored GH1. There was something about it that I really liked...god help me.

pentacon6

It is really a complex feeling for this new product. Good to hear that the sensor size is using APS-C format but bad to hear that the potential alternative option of lenses is not as many as G1/ GH1. Even more worse that the register distance of the lens might be longer that G1 (23mm+ vs 19.9mm) from some rumor. For whom loves to have fun with cine lenses, NX may not utilize the sensor or even making the focus impossible. Further more, there is no flip monitor for more viewing angle. It seems that the system only benefit from the small body size and bigger sensor size. I think it only help the old age lenses such as FD, Fujinon X, MD and Konica AR lenses back to life. But we already tasted these from 4/3 third. Hope it can adapt Leica M and Voitglander lenses (might be feasible) when it is launched.

But after all, it is an easier road for Samsung as the DSLR market is already flooded by "C-S-N". That's the main reason for Samsung to keep surviving in the high end DC market. Of course, give us more superior Schneider lenses please. :lecture:

woodyspedden

Design problem with this camera is the lack of a rotating LCD! That is one of the coolest features of the G1 and all others will have to measure up

Woody

Terry

I function just fine with the M8 and D700 and then I use the G1 and I constantly have the LCD in all different positions and can get different shots that I don't really try with the other cameras (I'm not quite as dedicated as Jono lying down in a just planted field or crawling through bushes).

pentacon6

Can you share where you heard the rumor about the register distance?
I just remember that Samsung's VP admitted that the registered distance is a little longer than M4/3. But I just forget where I have read the exactly number of the register distance. I can't get it back by google. But As long as it is not longer than Leica M's registered distance (27.95mm), it can still get a good reputation of "poor man's" Leica.

Still sound great, isn't it? :toocool:

Jonas

(...)
if both these camera designs had been school projects, I think the teacher would be justified in suspecting that somebody had been copying somebody else's paper...
Quite some similarities. But Samsung found a better place for the front wheel. I know, it's kind of old and boring complaining of the G1 front wheel placement, but still...

(Yes, I'm surprised Panasonic didn't fix that with the GH1.) - Regards, /Jonas