The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Info/adaptor for Hexanon 40 f/1.8

Godfrey

The parts supplied are a plastic ring, molded plastic aperture control "handle", and small peel off adhesive shims (8). You will need a small phillips screwdriver to remove the screws from the lens mount ( 2 sets), a pair of tweezers for handling and applying the shims, a pair of needle nose pliers, some crazy glue or epoxy, and some rubber cement. Directions he supplies are quite good and well illustrated. You will also have to cut off a plastic tab from the lens mount (utility knife, snips or a dremel cutter work).
Great, Thank you! Just what I wanted to know. I should have everything in house other than the epoxy/crazy glue and rubber cement, and there's a crafts store right down the block.

The kit should be here today, the lens on Friday.

Diane B

I just thought I would mention also, for non-mechanical types like me without the tools and such, that kernow (Jim Thompson) will do conversions of the Hexanon AF lenses for a reasonable amount. He used one of the brass spacers that he ordered (see other threads about it on dpreview I think--maybe the Oly SLR forum where he ordered a lot of the spacers in the right size and others bought what they needed from him to use for their conversions).

Diane

Godfrey

I just thought I would mention also, for non-mechanical types like me without the tools and such, that kernow (Jim Thompson) will do conversions of the Hexanon AF lenses for a reasonable amount. He used one of the brass spacers that he ordered (see other threads about it on dpreview I think--maybe the Oly SLR forum where he ordered a lot of the spacers in the right size and others bought what they needed from him to use for their conversions).
Thanks! That was my first thought.
I tried to contact him but as yet he hasn't responded. So I just ordered the kit... ;-)

Godfrey

The 40/1.8 adaptation kit arrived yesterday. Nicely laid out, looks pretty simple to do. Lens should arrive on Friday ... :)

Godfrey

problem with adaptation

The Konica 40/1.8 lens arrived today and everything seemed to go well with the adaptation. I used Tai Chung's kit ... all the bits fit properly, no problems according to the instructions. The aperture works perfectly. The Olympus FourThirds back cap fits the lens perfectly.

But try to fit the lens onto a camera body and it will not rotate all the way and latch on the bayonet flange properly. It turns about 10 degrees and stops, will fall off if I try to turn the focusing ring.

Anyone else seen this before?

Michiel Schierbeek

Well I have some experience with converting Hexanon lenses myself. It looks like the ring in between is just a little to thick. I do not know this kit but if you use material other then steel or copper, which don't give in, the thickness may not be that critical. I would think you need to sand or grind of a little of the spacer. It should not be necessary if you buy a ready made kit. You probably found out already since this thread is already two days old.
I just bought some black plastic material of 1 1/2 mm from "Evergreen scale models" (for model trains) and will try to work with that. I will let you know if the results are any good.
Michiel

Godfrey

follow-up ...

Tai milled down the shim ring for my lens, it now fits perfectly. He even stopped by to drop it off and be certain it worked as desired. Can't get better service than that.

Now to test this lens ... my first impressions are already great. :)

Godfrey

OK, here's my camera now ...

Yes, I believe in *PROPER* lens hoods ... ;-)

The lens hood is a B+W screw-in metal unit, 58mm threads with 55->58mm step up ring, for tele lenses in the 80 to 135 mm range on 35mm film cameras. A perfect match to the 40mm focal length on FourThirds. The resulting setup is light, balances beautifully, and gives superb flare resistance with no vignetting.

It also looks delightfully stark and business-like ... ;-)

Diane B

Godfrey, that's exactly what I've been looking for--I wonder if it will be possible to track one down.

The 40 looks great on the L1 (I'd love to shoot with the camera and see if I would like it as much as I think I might)--as if looks count (*smile*--but it is nice when a camera looks like what it is)--no adaptor. Mine, of course, on the G1 is twice as big.

Diane

Last edited:
M

Mingjai

Godfrey, that's exactly what I've been looking for--I wonder if it will be possible to track one down.

The 40 looks great on the L1 (I'd love to shoot with the camera and see if I would like it as much as I think I might)--as if looks count (*smile*--but it is nice when a camera looks like what it is)--no adaptor. Mine, of course, on the G1 is twice as big.

Diane
Not Godfrey, but try running the search "55mm metal lens hood" on Ebay--looks like there are a few similar hoods for decent prices.

Something like this...

Godfrey-- I'm glad that you got your lens up and running. Sounds like Tai is a pure class individual. Now we're just waiting for some results from your new lens.

Godfrey

Re: OK, here's my camera now ...

Yes, it really does look great. :)

Does it fit your G1 as well now?
The Konica lens works very nicely on E-1, L1 and G1 bodies (the last with DMW-MA1 adapter). The question yet to be determined is whether it performs better than the Olympus G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4 that can only be used on the G1 (with its adapter ...). ;-)

Godfrey

Not Godfrey, but try running the search "55mm metal lens hood" on Ebay--looks like there are a few similar hoods for decent prices.

Something like this...
The lens hood I'm using is a B+W Metal Telephoto hood... I had it already in a 58mm size, but they make 55mm that will screw in directly:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.../B_W_65069627_55mm_Screw_In_Metal_Telephoto.html
The one you pointed to is a lot less expensive! ;-)

I'm glad that you got your lens up and running. Sounds like Tai is a pure class individual. Now we're just waiting for some results from your new lens.
Tai went beyond the call of duty, without a doubt. I made a portrait of him, the first frame of made with the Konica 40 on the L1, that I'm sending him as a gift.

Working on some photos from this morning's walk...

Godfrey

... first three pictures posted to flickr ...

... Now we're just waiting for some results from your new lens.
But what the heck, I'll post them here too ... :)

ISO 100 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60 sec
flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3526297701/

ISO 100 @ f/1.8 @ 1/320 sec
flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3526297825/

ISO 100 @ f/2.8 @ 1/15 sec
flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3527109124/

Captured with Panasonic L1 + Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 lens.​

Lovely lens for the L1, and equally nice on the G1. One thing becomes obvious when you use both bodies: it's much easier to focus the G1 with this lens than the L1. The EVF beats the L1's reflex viewfinder hands down. That's not to say it isn't doable, it just takes more practice and care to nail the focus correctly.

Comments always appreciated.

Godfrey

Re: ... first three pictures posted to flickr ...

This is a striking image--something about the juxtaposition of colors and the interesting (but not distracting) background creates an interesting dynamic.
Thank you!

I've posted three more photos made with the Konica 40mm, this time fitted to the G1, to my flickr.com account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3527104953/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3527917120/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdgphoto/3527105201/

All were made with the lens set to f/2.8.

One thing is quite clear: it's a heck of a lot easier to manually focus these adapted lenses with the G1 than it is with the L1. Makes me really wish Olympus or Panasonic would get off their duff and market a FourThirds system 40mm f/1.4 lens!

Diane B

Something like this...

Godfrey-- I'm glad that you got your lens up and running. Sounds like Tai is a pure class individual. Now we're just waiting for some results from your new lens.
I checked your link---is it really red??? LOL. I def. need one--and need one for a 24 52mm also, but am unsure what to get. My EF 28 has a very shallow hood--petal type--would I need similar for the 24 and G1?

Diane

Last edited:

Jonas

I checked your link---is it really red??? LOL. I def. need one--and need one for a 24 55mm also, but am unsure what to get. My EF 28 has a very shallow hood--petal type--would I need similar for the 24 and G1?

Diane
Hi Diane,

I buy all my hoods from heavystar. No, they are not red... ;) black is the only option. They are good, rigid and come without surprises. Screw it on and let stay on...

For my FD 24/2 I use a a hood labeled "normal". It works just fine.

regards, /Jonas

Diane B

Thanks Jonas. Just what I needed to know--I really really need several hoods. I have him as a 'saved seller' so I'll just go back and find the hoods I need. I agree---I like to leave my hoods on the lenses also--but I will say that the 55mm does look red. But--I'll trust you LOL.

Diane