The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Olympus 40-150mm Lens?

M

markpsf

There are three.
Oldest one is f3.8
Then there's the f3.5-4.5
Then, and I assume lowest rated of the three, the newer f4-5.6 (but I don't want to assume my assumption is correct without checking!)

Which is the best of the three in image quality?
A decision re the weight and the speed is obviously my call but I'd like to know the essential quality of the glass re distortions and sharpness.

Thanks.

Mark

Last edited:
M

markpsf

Update.
The jury appears to still be out on this one re quality and the tradeoff of heavier weight for faster speed. The private input I'm getting is about a toss-up.

Mark

kweide

Mark,

there are only 2 ( two ) versions of 40-150 in the market....
Old one with F3.5 - 4.5, with metalmount, rotating frontlens while focussing
new one with f4 - 5.6 with cheaper plastic mount, smaller size and a bit less in weight

Picture quality : my impression: the old one is a little better

mawz

I own the newer one. It's surprisingly good for the extremely low cost and AF's on the G1 unlike the older version.